Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Yay for having to work a holiday weekend!

Yep and since it is the holiday weekend, it will be dreadfully slow at my work. Thankfully that just means I can go outside for walks/jogs for longer periods of time.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Terrible start to the weekend but it's starting to come around. My last couple of clients have been pretty nice and their pets have been adorable.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yay for having to work a holiday weekend!

I hate it too. I actually managed to get vacation this week for the first time in 15 years. I still can't touch other holidays. So... I finally get a holiday off. I can't touch any week during the summer off.

Yeah, I get to save the holidays to take off a future day, but I have to fight to get any day off other than my regular days off. The Subway does not like giving its employees the day off too easily. I have banked over 100 days that I can request off.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    At the rate you're going you can retire early on days you've banked. :smile:
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Haha I wish. They don't allow it. Not used by retirement they're lost days.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I just started at a new center almost 7 months ago so I have no time off built up. What I have is spoken ffor in August for vacation. My partner was going to work a partial shift tonight and be off tomorrow. He changed his mind and took the entire shift tonight. So it's just me for 12 hrs tonight and tomorrow night. Blah.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    It's been a rather eventful night around these parts. How's everyone doing?
  • Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm bouncing for my second night and am counting down till things get live! In the meantime... I'm so bored. Feel free to friend or inbox me
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Mildy hungover, allergies killin' me and a busted toe. (I was sober when I jacked my toe up, ftr.) Riding my bike with crappy flats and hooked my toe on a sprinkler or something...ish.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    I feel ya on the allergies. I had to switch up my daily OTC med they got so bad lol. I could use a drink too B)
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody. I'm a nightshifter. I can't complain because tonight is not bad *knock on wood*, but the this night is CRAWLING!!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Usually they hit me in Sept/Oct...sinus issues typically in the spring. So I'm blessed with both now! I can usually tough it out buy my poor little girl has been on meds since being a baby. Everyone always thought she was crying, watery eyes, runny nose and such. Poor thing. Still rough on her even with the meds...
  • rai8759
    Options
    I'm a weekender labor/delivery nurse. I'll be here til 7am. I'm in triage tonight trying not to eat my way til shift's end. All I want to do is eat to stay awake. Ugh. Any tips? I've already traveled around the unit and chatted my co-workers up. I think everybody is in my boat.. gas is running out ppl!
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    When I get the bored munchies, I try to drink a bunch of water and see if that helps. Or drink some caffeine, that helps me out too.
  • rai8759
    Options
    Usually they hit me in Sept/Oct...sinus issues typically in the spring. So I'm blessed with both now! I can usually tough it out buy my poor little girl has been on meds since being a baby. Everyone always thought she was crying, watery eyes, runny nose and such. Poor thing. Still rough on her even with the meds...

That sounds so sad! My mom's allergies are really terrible. We joke that she is allergic to everything.. but really.. she is allergic to almost anything. She always has a running nose and watery eyes. Meds help a little, but they also knock her out, so she doesn't use them a lot

How old is your daughter? I have two girls. One is 3 and one is 4 months.
    When I get the bored munchies, I try to drink a bunch of water and see if that helps. Or drink some caffeine, that helps me out too.

Thanks man. I did just chug like 24oz of water and grab some coffee. I'm going to be up all day since we are traveling to see family this AM. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep some and avoid the munchies.

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    I can't help you with the munchies issues. I've had brownies, ice cream, cookies and caffeine and I'm still dying. Fortunately I have a couch I can catch a quick nap on in between patients.
  • rai8759
    Options
    whaat? they let you nap! sweet! We can nap on break... 30 minutes.. thats it. How do they get away with only giving us a 30 min break for a 12 hour shift?! I'll never understand.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I pull a 62 hour shift. They let me nap when ever there is a break in patients. I don't get any breaks when there are patients so caffeine is sometimes my best friend. :smile: The problems is, when I get depressed or angry, I often take it out on my diet. It's a bad habit from when I was growing up. Hungry? Here, eat this. Feeling bad? Here, eat this. Bad day at school? Here, eat this. We train our children to have weight problems when they grow up and then let them spend millions on weight control plans and supplements. It's a crazy world we live in.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Emotional eater here too. Every emotion.

For me, water never curbs the "trying to stay awake munchies"...but coffee will. Burns my belly and I'm distracted from the hunger. Terrible, but I kinda like the burn...

My daughter is 5 @rai8579.
  • rai8759
    Options
    Absolutely.. I can relate completely. It's like food is the subconscious center of my universe. I eat when I'm happy. I eat when I'm stressed. I eat when I'm bored. Once I was rushing around and stopped to make a sandwich and eat it.. I thought, "I'm slammed for time and all stressed. Why am I stopping to eat?!!!" My view of food is totally broken.

I'm trying so so hard to help my daughters see food in a harmless light. I say we eat food to be healthy and have energy for our bodies. I let them eat candy/cookies within moderation and after eating healthier foods. I want having food around not to be a big deal for them. For me.. if there is cake around.. I'm eating it! Or I'm thinking about eating it.. stupid cake. I don't even really like cake!!!! ARGH! It has taken me a long time not to constantly be thinking about food. Like.. after eating breakfast thinking about what I'll eat next. Crazy.

I don't even mention that I'm trying to "lose weight" in front of them. I say "be healthy". I don't talk about not eating something because it is "bad". I just eat it or I don't. My mom was/is always on some fad diet and talking about how she wasn't supposed to eat this or that and then eating it.

Sorry I wrote so much! I'm really passionate about this.