Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    skeetpea wrote: »
    We have to do that at the Bastrop Campus right now because our fire system isn't functioning properly. Thankfully, I'm at Smithville. :smile:

Lila - we're neighbors. I work 3rd shift at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin.

Ooooh! Man you're all up IN the downtown. Weekend traffic must be a NIGHTMARE!

So thankful that I'm working nights so I miss most of the traffic. But yes it's HORRIBLE! The backup going into downtown (when I'm going home) is completely insane.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I used to work a "normal" shift....8 - 6.....the traffic on the way home was horrendous......a 15 min journey would take 60 / 90 mins.....EVERY day......no bypassing it.....you had to sit in it..........since I came onto nights.....new job......my drive home is great......and if I put my foot down I have timed myself.....from clocking out at 6am.....to being in bed by 6:05 am..........bliss.......P.S. I am a very angry driver....im not good in traffic....lol
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    I used to work a "normal" shift....8 - 6.....the traffic on the way home was horrendous......a 15 min journey would take 60 / 90 mins.....EVERY day......no bypassing it.....you had to sit in it..........since I came onto nights.....new job......my drive home is great......and if I put my foot down I have timed myself.....from clocking out at 6am.....to being in bed by 6:05 am..........bliss.......P.S. I am a very angry driver....im not good in traffic....lol

I have found that people who are 'not good in traffic' tend to forget that they ARE the traffic. I am SO guilty of this it isn't even funny.... :pensive:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
  • bsteves06
    bsteves06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm a lab operator on nights, Sunday, Monday and Tues nights 6:30pm to 6:30am :) in canada
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    bsteves06 wrote: »
    I'm a lab operator on nights, Sunday, Monday and Tues nights 6:30pm to 6:30am :) in canada

Welcome to the thread! I wish I were closer to Canada. I'd go up for a visit and some Ketchup chips.

Not gonna lie, it would probably be mostly for the ketchup chips.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What are ketchup chips?
  • belimawr
    Options
    I have found that people who are 'not good in traffic' tend to forget that they ARE the traffic. I am SO guilty of this it isn't even funny.... :pensive:

How do you figure?

I'm not good in slow traffic, which is what I assume you mean. I get annoyed, pissed, curse, yell, bang the wheel... whatever. However, I don't cut down an ending lane or the shoulder and cut in last second, instead I patiently wait my turn. I allow others to merge in front of me (provided they stick to the one for one rule).
  • belimawr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Stuck working a double, had no food as I got the call last minute I had no relief. All I have in my locker is instant oatmeal bought for last winter's blizzard. Still before the date.

Instant oatmeal is the nastiest. crap. ever. Guess I'm just too used to steel cut.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Boiled Okra is the worst food ever. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I have it timed so I can miss the worst of the traffic on my drive. I only have to pass thru a town on my way to the other town where I work. Everything else is 55 mph of country driving. :smile:

Of course I did have to follow a small box truck that used a tow strap to close his back door. He preferred that 40-45 mph range which got me all road raging lol
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    And that shark picture is awesome!!!! Nom Nom Nom!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Boiled Okra is the worst food ever. :smile:
    I cannot imagine why anyone would want to eat that. Blech!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I like fried Okra but boiled Okra is like eating boiled slugs. I can't get it past my lips before my starts complaining. :frowning:
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Okay WTH is with people coming all up in our thread with the frowny faces? Majority of us here ENJOY our night shift. Get over it.

Some people end up on nights because they are the 'low man on the totem pole.' Guess what? I had the opportunity to come off nights and I CHOSE to stay. I LIKE my night shift and I enjoy not having to deal with as many irritating people.
    So you take your frowny face and put it somewhere else because the only time you should be frowning in night shift is if someone has called in and you are stuck working a 12-16 hour shift instead of your usual 8- 12 hour shift!

GTFO MY THREAD! :rage:

And bless Mr. @sufferlandrian on your way out, who works even LONGER hours but gets to take glorious naps :blush:

In other news, all is well and I got some decent sleep this afternoon. Apparently I am the last to know that I will be taking my father tomorrow to get a new battery for his truck that he can't drive because he doesn't have a driver's license and can't get one because we are still waiting on his corrected naturalization paperwork.

ETA: I MIGHT be just a LEEEEEETTLE bit cranky because I need to eat something...

I have every right to complain about my work and shift here on the nightshift thread. "So sorry" it offends you
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    We all complain about our jobs from time to time and the night shift has unique challenges, but some people come across like they think they're "too good" to work nights. No one likes that.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So I had a client call last night about 11 PM. Their dog wasn't doing well. We told them to come in. 5 AM they finally show up. We close at 8 AM on weekdays. Now the dog needs a barium study and possible surgery. We turfed it to a day clinic. I followed the credo of emergency clinics. "Better to turf than be turfed upon." :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    So I had a client call last night about 11 PM. Their dog wasn't doing well. We told them to come in. 5 AM they finally show up. We close at 8 AM on weekdays. Now the dog needs a barium study and possible surgery. We turfed it to a day clinic. I followed the credo of emergency clinics. "Better to turf than be turfed upon." :smile:
    Haha, turf or be turfed!
  • sufferlandrian
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I can't believe how many dogs have gotten in to toxins this year. I think the warm weather is causing algae blooms in the low water ponds and dogs are taking in toxins when they drink from them.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    All right, let's get this party started! How is everyone's night going? I started my work shift off with my coworkers telling me I look like a ballerina (something about my hair and the way I carry myself), so I've nothing to complain about.