Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work weekends too with my days off being Monday & Tuesday. I find it easier to do accomplish errands, like grocery shopping during the week, especially during the day. One of my more frequent shopping destinations being Costco. A huge headache going on a weekend, not so bad during the week.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    I work weekends too with my days off being Monday & Tuesday. I find it easier to do accomplish errands, like grocery shopping during the week, especially during the day. One of my more frequent shopping destinations being Costco. A huge headache going on a weekend, not so bad during the week.

It's funny, here I have the exact opposite experience with Costco. When I had weekdays off I had to avoid the place. Saturdays... I maybe spend ten minutes at most waiting in line. I can't speak for Sundays as I avoid most stores Sundays as I'm sure they're packed.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    OK. Lets get the ball rolling. 24 hours to go. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you do it! If I had to work shifts as long as you, I'd have probably killed someone by now.

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you do it! If I had to work shifts as long as you, I'd have probably killed someone by now.

I would not either and I mostly deal with computers at my job. Very little human interaction.

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    There are days I ask myself why I don't kill more people. I do admit to getting testy with people from time to time. Don't stand there and complain to me how outrageous our prices are when I'm in hour 75 of an 82 hour shift. I started out diplomatic about how we can't schedule appointments since it's an ER so we have higher staff and utility costs. He just went off on how we were just a bunch of money grabbers. When I asked if he could get the same care for less money at the human ER, he just said they were a bunch of money grabbers as well with outrageous prices. I just sent him out the door and told him to try Missoula. It's only 2.5 hours away. His wife came back later with the dog.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    If you can't afford vet bills, then you can't afford to have a pet. Too bad most people don't seem to realize this.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Oh he had the money. He was just a bazillion years old and keeps thinking he is in 1930 where the vet would work on you horse for a box of apples. His wife paid and was happy with our work. :smile:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Another night, another dollar.

So, apparently, someone complained about the schedule and having to work ONE 12 hour shift this week, so I volunteered to work on one of my days off to nix that 12 hour shift. My intent was to deprive the complainant of their overtime. Instead, my boss man decides to take the overtime from someone else who also has to work a 12 hour shift(but didn't complain) and the complainer still has to work a 12 hour shift on that day.

On the one hand, it's hilarious. On the other hand, I REALLY don't want to hear him complain about it anymore.

But now I get 8 hours of overtime instead of just 4. YAY! :smiley: Working 6 days a week, straight 8's is the BOMB! :grin:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Oh he had the money. He was just a bazillion years old and keeps thinking he is in 1930 where the vet would work on you horse for a box of apples. His wife paid and was happy with our work. :smile:

I LOL'd! You gotta keep your sense of humor working with people, it seems...!
    Another night, another dollar.

So, apparently, someone complained about the schedule and having to work ONE 12 hour shift this week, so I volunteered to work on one of my days off to nix that 12 hour shift. My intent was to deprive the complainant of their overtime. Instead, my boss man decides to take the overtime from someone else who also has to work a 12 hour shift(but didn't complain) and the complainer still has to work a 12 hour shift on that day.

On the one hand, it's hilarious. On the other hand, I REALLY don't want to hear him complain about it anymore.

But now I get 8 hours of overtime instead of just 4. YAY! :smiley: Working 6 days a week, straight 8's is the BOMB! :grin:

I'm afraid if this person ever made 1 complaint about not having $, I'd punch them in the throat. (Not really, but I'd think about it...)
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options

LOL...loved that one.

Isn't funny how people who can easily afford vet bills sometimes gripe over the cost but then people like my family pay the bill, say thanks and go on our merry way? We aren't poor by any means, regular lower middle class folks, but a hefty vet bill can smart sometimes. We don't complain or argue! But then again, maybe we appreciate things more...or maybe that it why those people have more $$ than us to begin with...because they don't spend it. Jk...kinda...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Saw Minions in 3-D with the tater tot yesterday! First time I've seen 3-D! And we had the entire theater to ourselves!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @jennifer_417 He has! He has made the complaint a couple times about not having enough money to fix the radiator in his jeep. He's had this problem for MONTHS.

He also complains about not carrying a gun at work but he doesn't believe in having guns at home in any way, shape, or form. I have a strong feeling he would have no idea what to do with one if it was handed to him anyway.

He misses the concept that our job is to observe and report and to keep people out of trouble before it starts. After trouble starts we have to hand everything over to our commissioned officers(like my Sgt. Sexy Pants).

He also complains about how we deal more with the public and therefore "do more work" so we should get paid more than the commissioned officers.

We don't have to wear a bullet proof vest every shift, have the responsibility of carrying a firearm, or run TOWARDS the danger if there ever is any. We also don't have to work 11 hour shifts every shift or attend mandatory 40-60 hours(depending on rank) of training every year.

I will gladly take less pay to avoid all that but he doesn't really "get it".
    Sometimes, punching him in the throat seems like a REALLY good idea. But the truth is I don't see this coworker all that much. I do, however, have to deal with the unhappiness of Sgt. Sexy Pants having to deal with him. :cry:

• TopCop7747
    TopCop7747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just got the date. 7/25/15 I'll be back on overnights. Not thrilled.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Saw Minions in 3-D with the tater tot yesterday! First time I've seen 3-D! And we had the entire theater to ourselves!

Gosh that sounds awesome! I haven't been to a theater in ages.
    I, personally, can not STAND 3-D. It hurts my eyes and inevitably I get a headache that lasts forever.
    The last movie I saw in 3-D was Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and that was 5 years ago!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Ugh. Some poeple just don't get it, do they?
    Reminds me of a guy I dated about 100 years ago, who worked as a night stocker at Walmart, and thought he should make as much as a doctor, because he worked hard. That relationship didn't last a super long time...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    TopCop7747 wrote: »
    Just got the date. 7/25/15 I'll be back on overnights. Not thrilled.

@TopCop7747 I know in your realm, nothing good ever happens after midnight,but try to enjoy it. I like nights because it is cooler and I can walk around more and play with the foxes. Downsides are: Deer(yes I'm afraid of deer), we now have a coyote wandering around, bugs and spiders EVERYWHERE!

But I enjoy the lack of people on my campuses and the free reign to read or study what I like until a commissioned officer comes into the office. I try not to be blatant about my side fun, but as long as I do my rounds and call the right people when s**t goes wrong, they don't really care.

Our Lieutenant is actually hoping for me to go back to school and do my studying while on overnights. Since I won't join the military to have my education paid for he expects me to take full advantage of the tuition reimbursement program here.

He has some REALLY high expectations of me. I feel like finishing a degree might just be the trampoline I need to reach them.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Ugh. Some poeple just don't get it, do they?
    Reminds me of a guy I dated about 100 years ago, who worked as a night stocker at Walmart, and thought he should make as much as a doctor, because he worked hard. That relationship didn't last a super long time...

:laugh: HAHAHAHA! :laugh:

Wow! That's a real winner! Because he TOTALLY has someone's life in his hands when he's stocking those shelves.
    There are times when I feel a doctor should make less than he does, but I also believe a lot of doctors who ARE doctors knew what they wanted from a fairly early age. Therefore, I feel anatomy training and things like that should be done in early high school so you could get some of the premed stuff done before you have to take out massive loans to continue school for years and years to become a doctor.

Colleges just ask way too much money for tuition and the like.
    I also feel teachers deserve better pay and should have a bit more free reign to teach creatively according to their student body. This whole 'teaching the standardized test' thing has GOT to stop.

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
    -Albert Einstein

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    We had a tech that came in looking for work. He wouldn't take less than he was making in California. It's more than the doctor makes here. I told him good luck and sent him on his way.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    We had a tech that came in looking for work. He wouldn't take less than he was making in California. It's more than the doctor makes here. I told him good luck and sent him on his way.

That relates to something my mother is dealing with when she searches for jobs.
    She has had places decline to even interview her because they can not/will not pay her what she made in Washington as a head cashier/teller room attendant/assistant manager. My mother doesn't EXPECT to be paid as much as she made in Washington because cost of living is lower where we are now. Hell, I could live on my own right now with what I am making here, but I know I sure as hell wouldn't be able to in Washington.

My mother has 17 years of cashier and customer service experience and they are shutting her out because they think she wants to make over $25/hour here in Texas. When she expects/wouldn't mind being offered less than half that.