Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• djones197982
    djones197982 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    i am now tired been here 9 hours im ready for my bed nearly 5am in the uK!
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    All right, let's get this party started! How is everyone's night going?

First night back since my grandmother passed, didn't sleep all day, and there's more than twice the normal amount of freight on the floor xD

I'm drinking lots of coffee tonight! Hope y'all are doing better :)
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Speaking of "the worst" things to ingest...I just took one sip of a horrible impulse purchase and while it tasted nice....the consistency was of LIQUID boiled slugs! It was a jelly like drink with chia seeds in it. Blech. What was I thinking?!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ^ nice... i love the texture of boiled slugs.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why do people think it's cute to let their small dog terrorize the big dog through the fence? Big dog found a hole in the fence tonight and I ended up putting two eyeballs back in socket after the big dog bit the bug eyed dog just in the wrong spot and popped both eyes out. I think the little guy will maintain vision in both eyes.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why do people think it is cute to let their small dogs have severe behavior problems/aggression? When your dog is seething, drooling, snarling mad and you think it is cute...it isn't. If a big dog was seen acting like that, it would be unacceptable...so why is not only ok, but "cute" when little dogs do it? Ugh. I'm especially sensitive here because I have a pit mix, a well-trained, obedient, loving pit mix, but people who have those little dogs and think that just because they are little that they don't need training and can do whatever they want really irk me. Little neurotic, snappy a-holes most of the time...

Don't get me wrong, I like small dogs...just dislike so many of the owners that spoil the dogs into poor behavior...then think it is ok because the dog is small...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I love it when owners look at me like a brute when I break out the muzzle for their chihuahua. Famous last words, "He loves to growl but he's never bitten anyone". I told that last person, "He may not have bitten anyone before but was he being treated for being impaled on a stick through the abdomen?" He let me sedate the dog. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Speaking of "the worst" things to ingest...I just took one sip of a horrible impulse purchase and while it tasted nice....the consistency was of LIQUID boiled slugs! It was a jelly like drink with chia seeds in it. Blech. What was I thinking?!

Gag. I'll just be over here, yarking on my shoes...
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I also hate it when people think animals are people. I saw a video on FB with a rescued bobcat "showing his love" to his rescuer. This was a bobcat rubbing all over a little boy. I was like, "THAT'S NOT LOVE, HE'S MARKING HIS TERRITORY." Scary.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Just started my shift. 7½ hours to go. I have a company BBQ to go to later today and 99% of the people going to it are day walkers i.e. people I don't know, know. If it wasn't for a couple of people who I know will be there, I would skip altogether.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    So here is an interesting tidbit. I've complained on here before about my hypothyroidism symptoms. The other day I read an article about low body temperature and hypothyroidism. I've always ran lower than most, usually in the 97's. I'm also get overheated waaay quicker than others and I'm almost always hot. The article says to use a basal thermometer and take your temp different times a day. So I buy a basal thermometer and over the last few days, I took my temperature. I recorded temps from a high of 96.13 to a low of 94.04! Hypothermia is technically at 95 degrees. Sooo, I'm just sitting around in hypothermia...in July...in the Midwest. I better get some answers soon...this is crazy! Took my family's temps...all fine. So it isn't the thermometer...it IS me!

I always joke that I'm so icy, my kid calls me a "snow girl". I even have a pair of snowflake tattoos on my shoulder/chest area...since I've always related to the cold/snowy winter time! Guess all that makes a lot more sense now...I really am icy and run cold!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I hear you on that one. I hate the "Mandatory fun" when they plan it in the middle of my sleep shift. Fortunately now that I'm the boss, I plan things early in the morning so they have to get up early and the night crew doesn't have to stay up to much later than normal.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    We all complain about our jobs from time to time and the night shift has unique challenges, but some people come across like they think they're "too good" to work nights. No one likes that.

This is what I meant @MadDogManor.
    We've had a couple of @$$hats come in here like they are FAR TOO GOOD for nightshift. Some of us choose it, some of us don't. But we all deal and it isn't the only thing we complain about. Pick something a bit more specific to complain about.

For instance, I choose to complain about the fact that despite the fact that we have 5 nightshift workers, management INSISTS upon putting all training on a day shift schedule. I wish I could conform to "day shift standards" but that would hinder my ability to do my job properly.

I'm also not a morning person unless I have stayed awake through the night until the morning. :smiley:
  • belimawr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Now I can't speak for all, but at least in my area and to my generation (30s), working nights has the stigma of being poor, uneducated, working a job that requires no skills. After all if you had a good job, you'd be working like a "normal" person, right?

I talk to my neighbors who are all retired Italian-Americans, when they came to this country, some immediately following WWII, they worked nights. Many of them. No one looked down at it.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Sigh...it seems like our generation just expects everything to be handed to them. Too many people don't expect to have to work for anything. *sigh* Now you kids get off my lawn!
  • belimawr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sigh...it seems like our generation just expects everything to be handed to them. Too many people don't expect to have to work for anything. *sigh* Now you kids get off my lawn!

LOL it's unfortunate, but yes it does seem that way. As well as those in the floowing gens. We've ruined the world. ;) I say that half joking, as at times with the atttitudes I see of entitlement and (dis)respect, etc... I'm not looking forward to the future.

In fact at my job I get told I work too hard. Yeah, I guess I can agree with them that I put in too much effort that the job doesn't need, but blame my parents... they told me to work hard at everything I do.

Not to go too far off topic, but that's one thing that really gets to me about our and newer generations. "You better show me respect, but I'm going to treat you like ****."
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    There are some fantastic youth out there today. Being over a 1/2 century old I can call a lot of people youth. :smile: I do run into a lot of the younger generation who can't understand why after 2 months of working at a place, they aren't in charge. It genuinely baffles them that they don't progress through the work force as quickly as they progressed through the soccer team. I've actually had a guy post on his resume that he pitched a no hitter in a game. So what! How does that help you with patient care?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    OK, I'm getting tired. Two eyeballs put back in. One leg taken off. One rubber foot from a chair taken out of the intestines. Can I have a nap now?
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    There are some fantastic youth out there today. Being over a 1/2 century old I can call a lot of people youth. :smile: I do run into a lot of the younger generation who can't understand why after 2 months of working at a place, they aren't in charge. It genuinely baffles them that they don't progress through the work force as quickly as they progressed through the soccer team. I've actually had a guy post on his resume that he pitched a no hitter in a game. So what! How does that help you with patient care?

I honestly think there are so few people out there willing to work hard that the few who do, tend to get pushed on, ahead of what they are actually capable of.

• jennifer_417
    Options
    OK, I'm getting tired. Two eyeballs put back in. One leg taken off. One rubber foot from a chair taken out of the intestines. Can I have a nap now?

Of course! Take one for me, too, eh?