Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i'm a little pissed at Bob Seger right now for re-recording "Mainstreet".

there weren't nothin' wrong with the original.

(but, yeah...you're thinking of "night moves". now, the Commodores had a song called "night shift"...)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Love Bob Segar...but why would he try to fix what weren't broke? Sigh.
  • hamptontom
    Options
    sometimes people do that because they don't own the copyrights to the original recordings. more than a few artists have had to go into the studio and completely re-record new versions of songs because the record label owns the masters to the originals, and the artist has no rights to them. if they wrote the song and had at least some hand in the publishing of said song, they're at least in a position to earn writer and publisher royalties off the original recording, but labels are uncanny about making artists' sales royalties vanish into a sea of accounting paperwork after enough years go by.

in a lot of these artists' cases (Gordon Lightfoot comes to mind), the labels that own the masters are no longer in business, but have been bought up by one of the two or three labels that are left today, and they're legally prevented from re-releasing their old titles, no one knows where the master tapes are, or there's simply no one left that's in a position to negotiate with.

the music business is more crooked than a northern California mountain road. i'm not sure why anyone would get into it if they knew beforehand what lay in store for them.

(and i'm not REALLY pissed at him...i get it. at least whoever played Pete Carr's guitar part did it the honor of playing it exactly as it was on the original. that's an iconic riff, right there.)
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    @hamptontom -I actually know a tiny amt about royalties and such. My stepdad, who died almost 3 years ago, was Bill Dees. He cowrote the song "Oh Pretty Woman" w Roy Orbisin and toured with him in the 60s. Almost 3 years after his death, we've finally just gotten his estate settled. Do yeah, I know just enough to know I don't want much to do with that industry.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Steak; knock it across the head, wipe its butt, and drag it across the coals, pausing slightly lol (rare side of medium rare). Hubby likes it killed twice. Blah

I like my steak still mooing.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    That's what my hubby says my steak is. I remind him it could be rarer lol
  • hamptontom
    Options
    @hamptontom -I actually know a tiny amt about royalties and such. My stepdad, who died almost 3 years ago, was Bill Dees. He cowrote the song "Oh Pretty Woman" w Roy Orbisin and toured with him in the 60s. Almost 3 years after his death, we've finally just gotten his estate settled. Do yeah, I know just enough to know I don't want much to do with that industry.

Bill Dees - didn't he also write most of the music for that movie that Orbison did, too?

They're not making 'em like him anymore. And Nashville is still full of guys like him...I run into old-timers around town every now and then who have great stories about the old days. I love the history of this place, but there ain't much left.

Considering the paper trail of your stepdad's copyrights, I can't even imagine what you guys went through to get from point A to point B on his estate.
  • belimawr
    Options
    @bethanie0825 I've learned not too long ago we kill the flavor of food by cooking it way too much. I've discovered I like my salmon and tuna still able to swim, too.

I won't mess with poultry though.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    rqvi42q6avja.png

I saw this and it is an out and out LIE!
    I worked in a steakhouse for YEARS and the majority of people ordered it Medium-Well. It was disgusting.

8epoxam1ft1p.jpg

d9n64mw75ow9.jpg

vibzjypmjudr.png

• hamptontom
    Options
    maybe i'm the outlier, but my taste would tend to fall between "wait..." and "..what are you doing?" on the chart above.

not a fan of bloody meat. sorry. :)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I overcooked some steak the other day. I rarely eat it and now I have steak jerky.
  • BodyByBex
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    maybe i'm the outlier, but my taste would tend to fall between "wait..." and "..what are you doing?" on the chart above.

It's not blood though. The juice, while red in color, is technically not blood but a mixture of water and myoglobin (a protein in the muscle fibers responsible for giving meat its red color). Blood is actually removed during the slaughter process.

ETA: Grammar is not my strong point before my second cup of coffee...

Second ETA: You like your steak how you like your steak. As long as you can stomach what you've done to it without A1 or Heinz 57 or any other 'meat accents' then more power to ya.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

Bill Dees - didn't he also write most of the music for that movie that Orbison did, too?

They're not making 'em like him anymore. And Nashville is still full of guys like him...I run into old-timers around town every now and then who have great stories about the old days. I love the history of this place, but there ain't much left.

Considering the paper trail of your stepdad's copyrights, I can't even imagine what you guys went through to get from point A to point B on his estate.
    He actually wrote a good number of songs with him, I'm not 30+ I think. And yeah, between selling partial rights, my disabled mother having to fight his kids, and a botched Trust, it has been a long road. But she has enough income now to be relatively comfortable, so we are content with that.

• jennifer_417
    Options
    Also, I'll take my steak medium, please, and hold the sarcasm! :D
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Also, I'll take my steak medium, please, and hold the sarcasm! :D

I find Medium to be respectable.
  • belimawr
    Options
    Second ETA: You like your steak how you like your steak. As long as you can stomach what you've done to it without A1 or Heinz 57 or any other 'meat accents' then more power to ya.

My parents like to cover their meat with sh** like that, while cooking at it. they actually get annoyed I cook my meat plan. I tell them add it at the end if you want, but I prefer to taste what I cooked, not the crap added on.

My father always covers chicken on the grill with bbq sauce when I step away... drive me nuts because he knows I hate it. I mean it, covers.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »

My parents like to cover their meat with sh** like that, while cooking at it. they actually get annoyed I cook my meat plan. I tell them add it at the end if you want, but I prefer to taste what I cooked, not the crap added on.

My father always covers chicken on the grill with bbq sauce when I step away... drive me nuts because he knows I hate it. I mean it, covers.

I like dipping cooked chicken in barbecue sauce after it's cooked. I tend to avoid most sauces now because I find they add a bunch of calories I don't REALLY need. I might work sauces back in when I'm in maintenance.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

It's not blood though. The juice, while red in color, is technically not blood but a mixture of water and myoglobin (a protein in the muscle fibers responsible for giving meat its red color). Blood is actually removed during the slaughter process.

ETA: Grammar is not my strong point before my second cup of coffee...

Woah I just learned a thing. I alwys thought it was blood!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    so now that my steak is too tough to eat,what do I do with it?
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Also, I love A1sauce, but a well-seasoned steak shouldnt need it. Another weird thing abut me: I dont like BBQ sauce. Too sweet.