Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If she isn't yet, she probably will be lol @sufferlandrian I am glad she got her cat back even if she's a little off it sounds.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    So had a woman call bc she had some domestic issues with her fiancé Friday night but he left and hasn't returned. Is terrified of him and is hysterical on the phone. Doesn't want to leave her two grown children home bc she's afraid for them. But doesn't want the police over bc she doesn't know what the neighbors would think.

Priorities people. Priorities.

I wish someone would shake her so she'd come out of the fog she's in. I've been there. It's hard as *kitten* but never once did I care what my neighbors would have thought it the police were called. Oy :(
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Just call the police. If nothing else, the people who are causing the problems will know you're not afraid to get help. @bethanie0825 - I'm 100% with you on this one.
  • mikehardin62
    mikehardin62 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So had a woman call bc she had some domestic issues with her fiancé Friday night but he left and hasn't returned. Is terrified of him and is hysterical on the phone. Doesn't want to leave her two grown children home bc she's afraid for them. But doesn't want the police over bc she doesn't know what the neighbors would think.

Priorities people. Priorities.

I wish someone would shake her so she'd come out of the fog she's in. I've been there. It's hard as *kitten* but never once did I care what my neighbors would have thought it the police were called. Oy :(

AAAAMNNNEEEENNNN!!!!!
    handle your business. Neighbors are glad for promptly handled situations. And like you said, PRIORITIES PEOPLE! !!
    WELL SAID!
  • mikehardin62
    mikehardin62 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just call the police. If nothing else, the people who are causing the problems will know you're not afraid to get help. @bethanie0825 - I'm 100% with you on this one.

Right...handle it!!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Some troubling news to share. Nick, my fiancé, woke me up at around 6:30 (my 3 a.m.) to ask me to look at Nash, our dog. This instantly worried me because...ya know...thirdshifters and waking them up and all. I'm the "family doctor"...people always come to me to diagnose them because I'm right like, 95% of the time. I see Nash on the couch, panting. I sit there and check him out, my fiancé points out his swollen paw. He is coughing. I tell Nick to get him to the vet. They ran some tests and have no idea what is going on. His white blood cell count is SIX and his red cell count is POINT FIVE. He is staying overnight with some fluids and antibiotics. My fiancé is a wreck and my daughter is too...but I think more so because dad is so upset.

I've said MULTIPLE times that something is "wrong" with Nash. His hip issues before one year old, allergies...he is inflamed. I have a lot of the same issues and I believe it is autoimmune based...I told Nick I bet Nash has something autoimmune that caused inflammation, too. Now he has super low white blood cells...if it isn't autoimmune...I'm guessing leukemia...I hate to say it but that would be my amateur guess. I've said it before, I never thought we'd have him long...his body deteriorates faster than it should...not that I for sure think this is the end...but I still don't believe he'll live as long as others of his breed. The doc did say that she saw a dog with the same situation years ago and it pulled through. Nash is tough...he is a lover and a couch potato but his drive to protect his family/will to live is through the roof and he is the kind of dog who COULD possibly beat this. Fingers crossed...

@sufferlandrian...your thoughts?
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius I'm sorry to read this... :'(
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius - Autoimmune disease is an over reactive immune system so the WBC count skyrockets. I would expect with autoimmune disease to have a WBC count of 20K or better. By the way, your six is 6K and your 0.5 is 0.5 M (million) which is pretty low. I'd be interested in what the rest of the blood work said. It sounds like an infection somewhere. It's pulling cells to it. It could be cancer. Cancer in the bone marrow is difficult to detect and it will crowd out other cells. Fluids and IV antibiotics are going to be your best bet at this point. The question is, where are the RBCs going? What was the Bilirubin? There's not chance he got in to an anticoagulant in the last week is there? D-Con or a blood thinner?
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just called to check on him and his temperature went down from 106 to 102.8 and he ate a good meal...so he is looking okay for now. They said all his organs are in fine working order.

He did eat a tiny amount of rat poison a few months ago (went to the emergency vet for that too!) and he was out at the same place a few days ago but my fiance said he wasn't in the area they leave poison. As for an infection...he has had that skin issue for awhile now and has had wounds from scratching but we've never noticed any obviously infected. His foot is red and swollen and he is limping. My fiance noticed the other night he was favoring one paw over the other and thought maybe he got a thorn stuck in it while camping but found nothing...didn't really think much of it.

He said the vet seemed really baffled. Said she had never seen a blood cell count that low (even the other case similar was quite a bit higher) and re-ran the test several times to be sure. When I told my fiance that I suspected leukemia, he said she did say something about testing his marrow. I looked at his gums and they looked pink and healthy...every person I've known with leukemia, especially late in the game...was very pale. No pinkness whatsover. So that made me think NOT leukemia...but that is again...just my speculation.

Aren't there some autoimmune diseases that destroy white blood cells though? I know typically it is an overreaction of wbcs but I thought I remember reading about some that do the opposite...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Nope. There are autoimmune diseases that destroy platelets and those that destroy RBCs but not autoimmune diseases in that destroy WBCs. There might be something in humans, but not in dogs. With the fever of 106 degrees you have a bacterial infection. I think your idea of a puncture is spot on. He probably stepped on something and now an anaerobic infection is going wild in the foot and spreading through the body. That would pull WBCs out of circulation and make the vessels "Leaky" making it easy to lose RBCs to third space out side the blood vessels but still inside the dog. Keep up the fluids and antibiotics. Make sure they have an antibiotic that is effective against anaerobic infections as well as the normal spectrum of bacteria. Metronidazole is a great one for anaerobic infections. I've had dogs with WBC counts that low or lower and there is almost always a bacteria or a cancer of the bone marrow. Cancers don't cause fevers of 106 though so bet on a bacteria this time. Given the history of limping, think of something that punctured the skin but made a very small hole so when an infection started there was no where for it to drain. A thorn or a cat claw would both produce that kind of injury.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Thank-you. I really appreciate it. I sent a screenshot to my fiance so he can bring it up. He is picking him up at 7 when they close...not sure what our next step is after that.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Metronidazole! That's the medication my doctor put me on for my infection and it made me feel all KINDS of icky.

Of course my body doesn't like antibiotics anyway...

I found eating yogurt helped a lot.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Thank-you. I really appreciate it. I sent a screenshot to my fiance so he can bring it up. He is picking him up at 7 when they close...not sure what our next step is after that.

Can you leave her with your regular vet for the day and keep the IV antibiotics and fluids going? They could recheck the blood values at the end of the day and make sure the WBC count is coming back up.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Metronidazole! That's the medication my doctor put me on for my infection and it made me feel all KINDS of icky.

That's because it wipes out the anaerobic bacteria needed for digestion. You should always take a probiotic with antibiotics since they will mess with the normal bacteria from your intestines.
  • bethanie0825
    Options

I always up my yogurt consumption or take a probiotic supplement when I get antibiotics. I'm sure it's saved me from some bad times lol. I try to take some regularly bc my belly just seems happier.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    man...you disappear for a few days and there's over a hundred posts and ALL KINDS of $h!t happening all over the place...from animals falling ill to Bastrop, TX becoming the host for the Stupid Human Trick Olympic Trials.

i had friends from Philly (my 25+ year adopted hometown) who were supposed to fly into Nashville this past weekend to pick up a German Shepherd puppy they bought from a kennel in Pulaski, about 90 minutes south of town...but for some reason their flight was cancelled without explanation and they were told the next one they could expect to get would be today or possibly tomorrow...and the lady who runs the kennel was leaving for two weeks today.

so a few phone calls later, we arranged for me to pick up the dog Saturday afternoon...and I drove the poor, scared $h1tless, whimpering creature from Nashville to PHL overnight Saturday night, slept in their guest room for 5 hours or so, and turned around and headed back - after a 3 hour nap outside Bristol, I got back to Nashville at 7am this morning....and am settled back at my desk tonight without missing a beat here.

it was disappointing on one level, because I had planned on doing some unpacking and getting the new place squared away - AND i had friends with gigs in town on both Saturday and Sunday nights, and i missed both shows - but I got to do something nice for an old friend, and the road trip was a nice mental "palette cleanser" between getting out of the old house and into the new one. AND i got to have lunch with one of my buddies whos' show i missed on Saturday night this afternoon before he flies out tomorrow morning.

looking forward to getting some stuff done this week...possibly having some family over this weekend to check out the new place...hope you guys are all well - and relatively unscathed from all the stuff I missed while i was gone.

• bethanie0825
    Options
    @hamptontom that was super cool of you :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    @hamptontom - see what you get when you try to have an life? You miss everything! But yeah that was really cool of you!
    In other news -turns out that one of the possible side effects Melatonin is anxiety! Good thing it only took me a few days to figure it out...but it made the weekend pretty rough. @Frankie_Felinius; I'm glad you said what you did about it, because it helped me connect the dots!
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    in all fairness, i should add that this guy did me a HUGE solid a few years ago when I was working on an album project, and this was a drop in the bucket towards repaying his generosity...it just felt like the right thing to do.

@jennifer_417 -- are you a fan of Patton Oswalt at all? he has a bit about Ambien in one of his standup routines that's funny as hell.