Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @sufferlandrian :'( Sorry this weekend is going bad.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I had a cat that died in my arms, as I was sitting in the little room, waiting for them to come and put her down. The tech said probably the best possible thing, that it confirmed that I had made the right choice.

That is quite a nice story...not "nice" but...you know...seems like the most ideal way to go...being held and going peacefully.

Sometimes I wish I wouldn't HAVE to put them down, like I just come home and they're dead already...but then again, I'd worry if they just passed peacefully or it was drug out...and finding a dead pet must be pretty shocking too...but putting them down is such a tough thing. Ah, it sucks no matter what...we just love 'em so much!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Our dog is having another breakout or rash or whatever on his underside again. We gotta get that allergy test done but it is three hours away and pricey...this is obviously not the best time of year for a pricey dog test! Especially after his near death experience!

Speaking of animals...we have a mouse at work. I walked in the office and saw him scamper away on the manager's desk! The 2nd shift gal said she saw him all evening. I think mice are adorable but I hate being suprised...this should be fun. I had pet rats...but things just popping up and scurrying around get my nerves goin'!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Ok. New plan for the kiddo. Tell me what ya think. We take away all her toys, art supplies (seriously, this kid's art supplies rival some schools, I bet) & movies. She gets to keep a coloring book, some crayons, her books and one toy to sleep with. Really know what it is like to have less.

Her birthday and Christmas are both coming up. We didn't want her to have a shizzy birthday/xmas if she knew she was going to have to put all her new toys away as soon as she got them so we decided that she gets to keep all her new stuff once she gets it...but it is all up for going bye-bye if she misbehaves (in an ungrateful/spoiled way, not other infractions). She acts like a spoiled brat, a toy goes away. We also decided that after a month or two, she can earn back her old toys. Every day she doesn't act ungrateful or spoiled, she gets a toy or movie back.

Her birthday is less than two weeks away so if I remove everything tomorrow, she has nearly two weeks of the bare minimum before she gets some new stuff.

I think this might work...she will REALLY be feeling what it is like to have so little. And we had been taking things away but when she had hundreds of other things, it didn't phase her. Now if she only has say, 20 things and one gets taken, especially something brand new...it might click a bit more. We talked about it with her and while she doesn't like the idea, she didn't fight it, so that is a pretty good start.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ok. New plan for the kiddo. Tell me what ya think. We take away all her toys, art supplies (seriously, this kid's art supplies rival some schools, I bet) & movies. She gets to keep a coloring book, some crayons, her books and one toy to sleep with. Really know what it is like to have less.

Her birthday and Christmas are both coming up. We didn't want her to have a shizzy birthday/xmas if she knew she was going to have to put all her new toys away as soon as she got them so we decided that she gets to keep all her new stuff once she gets it...but it is all up for going bye-bye if she misbehaves (in an ungrateful/spoiled way, not other infractions). She acts like a spoiled brat, a toy goes away. We also decided that after a month or two, she can earn back her old toys. Every day she doesn't act ungrateful or spoiled, she gets a toy or movie back.

Her birthday is less than two weeks away so if I remove everything tomorrow, she has nearly two weeks of the bare minimum before she gets some new stuff.

I think this might work...she will REALLY be feeling what it is like to have so little. And we had been taking things away but when she had hundreds of other things, it didn't phase her. Now if she only has say, 20 things and one gets taken, especially something brand new...it might click a bit more. We talked about it with her and while she doesn't like the idea, she didn't fight it, so that is a pretty good start.

I think this mimics real life in a way.
    You fudge up with your money? No wine this week until you fix it.
    You forget to get new registration for your car(PLEASE LET ME REMEMBER ON TUESDAY! I have a reminder set on my phone. :grimace: )? No car, and you have to borrow your dad's *kitten* truck and listen to him whine about how he has no vehicle(Not that he goes anywhere at NIGHT but still...).
    Forget to pay the internet? Well no internet for you until you take care of it (have fun on hold my friend).

If I forget to pay for things then it means I have less money than I thought I had, which means I can't spring for things like bikini waxes, getting nails done(not BIG on this one but it might happen again someday), buying things I enjoy like wine, new video games, movies, or FOODZ!
    Things that have become habits get taken away, like drinking wine or buying my FAVORITE expensive cheeses.
    Her way of 'paying' would be showing that she is grateful for what she has.

I was SUPER angry that my dad used ALL THE CHEESE to make chicken and cheese enchiladas tonight for dinner. Then when I got home from the choir concert, I was SUPER GRATEFUL that he made them because I could just heat it up and eat it and didn't have to make anything myself. And they were SOOOO GOOOD!
    He made enough for like, 4-6 family meals. So, I'll be going home tomorrow morning/this morning/working nights gets my days all screwy sometimes, and reheating and eating some AGAIN! He made the red sauce from scratch! Even though there was totally a can in the pantry and he could have taken the easy way out.

I regret packing chicken, rice, and veggies for my lunch.
    :disappointed:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian Sorry for the sucky outcome. I hope this next doggy does better!
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius I agree, it does mimic real life and I like how she can earn them back. Perhaps earn them back faster if she helps out with a chore or does something nice for someone.

@lilaclovebird I <3 chicken and cheese enchiladas!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius -yep, agree too, that it mimics real life. Also, sometimes the only way to learn to be grateful for what you have is to...well, not have it for a while.

@lilaclovebird - can I have some, too?

• BodyByBex
    Options
    @jennifer_417 and @bethanie0825 I will totally share!

@sufferlandrian You want in on some of this?

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Our dog is having another breakout or rash or whatever on his underside again. We gotta get that allergy test done but it is three hours away and pricey...this is obviously not the best time of year for a pricey dog test! Especially after his near death experience!

Speaking of animals...we have a mouse at work. I walked in the office and saw him scamper away on the manager's desk! The 2nd shift gal said she saw him all evening. I think mice are adorable but I hate being suprised...this should be fun. I had pet rats...but things just popping up and scurrying around get my nerves goin'!

There is a blood allergy test that can be run. It's not as expensive and all it takes is a blood draw from you local vet and then send it out. It doesn't involve all the needles like the skin test. They keep getting more and more accurate as well as less expensive. You might want to check in to that.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I would LOVE some chicken and cheese enchiladas. You know that I can't get up here that I have a real craving more is tamales. We used to buy them by the dozen from some lady in the Walmart parking lot. Now I can't find a decent tamale to save my hide.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I would LOVE some chicken and cheese enchiladas. You know that I can't get up here that I have a real craving more is tamales. We used to buy them by the dozen from some lady in the Walmart parking lot. Now I can't find a decent tamale to save my hide.

My dad doesn't know how to make tamales... :disappointed:

BUT my friend Alycia DOES! She learned from her 'other' Mexican family. :laugh:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Man I miss those Walmart Tamales! :smile: Not good for my waste line, but they were wonderful for my tummy. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    My hubby's mom makes the best tamales. Too bad she lives in Michigan :'(
    She makes two different types...so fricken delicious. Now I just need to get my hands on a proper pastry bad bc I need to make to churros :#
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

There is a blood allergy test that can be run. It's not as expensive and all it takes is a blood draw from you local vet and then send it out. It doesn't involve all the needles like the skin test. They keep getting more and more accurate as well as less expensive. You might want to check in to that.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

• Frankie_Felinius
    Options

I had the blood allergy test done on my dog about 5 years ago, I can't remember the price but the serum for her allergy shots doesn't come cheap and she's on allergy meds too. She's allergic to a ton of environmental stuff. Her vet was surprised at how bad. She's doing a lot better than she was off of them still has issues with certain times of the year. The vet puts her on a stronger med for those times.

We did have him on allergy meds (Benadryl) but he did not react well to it. I think it made him groggy and he did not like it. We're guessing it isn't just one thing either but a ton of environmental stuff as well...we've done some eliminating and reintroduction to some things, nothing changes. It isn't something outside because it happens year round. When he was hospitalized for that infection recently, he was put on a massive dose of antibiotics and prednisone...for a few weeks he was looking great...even grew most of his hair back on his belly...then all of a sudden, the rash is back...ugh.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    C'mon, people! Enchis? Tamales? You're killin' me...
  • sufferlandrian
    edited December 2015
    Options

I had the blood allergy test done on my dog about 5 years ago, I can't remember the price but the serum for her allergy shots doesn't come cheap and she's on allergy meds too. She's allergic to a ton of environmental stuff. Her vet was surprised at how bad. She's doing a lot better than she was off of them still has issues with certain times of the year. The vet puts her on a stronger med for those times.

We did have him on allergy meds (Benadryl) but he did not react well to it. I think it made him groggy and he did not like it. We're guessing it isn't just one thing either but a ton of environmental stuff as well...we've done some eliminating and reintroduction to some things, nothing changes. It isn't something outside because it happens year round. When he was hospitalized for that infection recently, he was put on a massive dose of antibiotics and prednisone...for a few weeks he was looking great...even grew most of his hair back on his belly...then all of a sudden, the rash is back...ugh.

Remind me how big he is. There is a dose for Claritin and Zyrtec and if you can get me the weight I can get you the dose. You can't use the Claritin D or the Zyrtec D because of the decongestant, but the plain meds are good alternatives. Believe it or not, there are some tricyclic antidepressants that work for allergies as well.

As with humans, all dogs respond to different antihistamines differently. Some do better on Benadryl. Some do better on Claritin and some do better on Zyrtec. Some don't do well on any of those and do better with other medications. Cats for example tend to do better on trycyclic antidepressants than on antihistamines.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I do miss the Mexican food in El Paso, TX. The best part was you could find it really cheap from people with coolers in parking lots or from the roach coaches in parking lots. It was really good and really cheap. You did have to ask for the mild though. Living right next to New Mexico, the pepper capital of the United States, they tend to make stuff really hot!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    He is about 65 pounds. I think the drowsiness from the Benadryl agitated him, made him feel "off guard"...I see how Claritin or Zyrtec could be better...none of that pesky "fog".

Again, I appreciate it!