Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Tough either way, but I would rather come in early than stay late. For me, it is more important that I leave before all the "upper management" get into the building. I don't need them in my life. :)
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    gillym82 wrote: »
    Oh goodness! Not me! If I know I'm coming in early I can plan for it. But to expected to go home at 7 and stay till 10 or 11? No thanks!

For me it doesn't matter either way, as long as I know in advance, I can plan for it. Either way, as far as I am concerned, sucks.

Unfortunately at my job people don't call out sick until the last minute (honestly, I don't know if this is normal or if elsewhere people give a few hours notice as a courtesy) so it's rather difficult to expect it.

Of late they have even been assigning people regular overtime without notice (i.e. not unscheduled as if someone had called out sick)... until I get in that day to find out that I have to stay late.

Differential? pah... here I get $1.90 'night differential' might as well not exist. And yet I know people who pick night tour solely for the purpose of getting that $1.90/hr. :/
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    http://www.caffeineinformer.com/death-by-caffeine

My lethal dose is 64 cups a day... glad I don't even come close!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    @gillym82 I work 911. 12 hours shifts. My weekend to work. We do 2 on 2 off, every other weekend.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Well, weekends over. Time to get back to work. Nothing like starting the night with a cat with Megacolon. Sounds like a monster from a Japanese moving. Godzilla vs the Megacolon! :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    It sure does :D

We've had 5 report calls so far, all wrecks. It's been raining all day but the heavy stuff was earlier. Pretty sure people just can't drive :|
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Day 5 of 8 underway... I am ready for a day off.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    It sure does :D

We've had 5 report calls so far, all wrecks. It's been raining all day but the heavy stuff was earlier. Pretty sure people just can't drive :|

This.

I am going NUTS already. The number of people who drive WEST bound on the EAST bound lanes of HWY 71 is ridiculous! I keep hoping they are drunks because SURELY people aren't THAT stupid. But then I heard a woman at our open house today state that the only reason women die from breast cancer is because they don't catch it early enough and women are afraid to examine themselves. :worried: Faith in humanity is at a low.

We lost our Bastrop gate camera during the storms and the gate now can only be opened by calling the office using the call box. Normally, we could just badge in. We called Tech Services and they said they would be in on Thursday to fix it. They never even showed up. :rage:

So we've gone from having to log about 15-20 contractors coming in daily, to logging EVERYONE who comes in which jumps our gate numbers to 220+ EVERY DAY.
    Oh and Houston told us we can't call all of them into dispatch because it's too much for them to handle. In addition to that, it basically means that we are tied to the desk all night and all day. So we can't get ANY calls for service in.

The ground is still soaking wet and I swear I just mowed the lawn but the damn thing is totally regrown. By the time I get the availability to mow again, it's going to be RAINING again.

As far as I know reservoirs are holding and we have a couple of lakes that are at 102% full.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    That's a damn mess. All of it. Grrr...I hope it starts drying out down there soon.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You'll have to just post someone there. That would really bite.
  • TK6299
    Options
    Sounds like a huge mess, yuck! Day 6 out of 8 underway...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I can't believe this dog has bloated for the third time!
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    A third time!? Wow
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So far so good. She hasn't bloated again. The last two times though she did fine here and bloated at home.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Poor girl :/

Last day of my work weekend. I'm sure tonight will probably be the slowest of the 3 lol
  • TK6299
    Options
    Day 7 of 8 underway... I have end of the week paperwork and payroll to keep me busy tonight.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    3 of 5 underway. Another one of those weird nights. Animal Control wanted to know if they could bathe a dog here to get the smell of the dead owner off before they took it to the shelter. Umm, hate to be rude, but .... no! :smile:
  • TK6299
    Options
    Umm... No is right! Wow...
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    3 of 6 for me.

I'll be getting more overtime because people just can't schedule their doctor appointments on their days off... :grumble:

And another coworker's husband is in the ICU.
  • aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Weekend is over. Back at work and ready for it to be Friday again, already.