Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As needed jobs often become full time when other people retire or move. :smile:

Yeah, but I definitely NEED something more permanent to pay my bills. They may have only posted it as "as needed" to see who REALLY wanted to work for the USPS and will offer a more full time position after 90 days. I dunno. I will interview and see what exactly is being offered. I DO know that we've had a few postal workers retire recently in the area(one of whom was MY postal worker :cry:).

ETA: And if it is "as needed" and less than 30 hours per week, I may work it in addition to my current job just to pay my bills off faster.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Came on shift to four stable inpatients. Had a feeling of impending doom. Did 11pm checks to discover stable post op dog had developed clotting disorder and bleeding massively under the skin, had to source plasma from another clinic and start transfusion overnight.
    This is night six of seven... Is it too much to ask for one nice easy night?? They've all so far been crazy for different reasons.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    BodyByBex wrote: »
    So far I've spent my Thanksgiving break sick in bed...but someone reminded me that hey, at least it's not finals week! I think part of it is just that I've been under a crazy amount of pressure this semester, and this is how my body is reacting.

Stress does a number on the immune system, @canadjineh is right.

Just make sure and get your rest and eat LOTS of foods...to aid in your recovery.. :wink:

That is good advice...I'm about to make some nachos...for my health! Also, hope the job works out for you the way you need it to!

I've been putting out resumes here and there, but no hits yet. Imma have to get serious soon.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Except I just realized that there are no chips in my house...*angry face*
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Came on shift to four stable inpatients. Had a feeling of impending doom. Did 11pm checks to discover stable post op dog had developed clotting disorder and bleeding massively under the skin, had to source plasma from another clinic and start transfusion overnight.
    This is night six of seven... Is it too much to ask for one nice easy night?? They've all so far been crazy for different reasons.

I hate that. I came on last night to a dog that had Syncope and one time when the heart stopped, 20 ml of bloody fluids poured out of the lungs. Got the heart started again and spend the night moving the dog in and out of O2 with heavy doses of Lasix.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    BodyByBex wrote: »
    So far I've spent my Thanksgiving break sick in bed...but someone reminded me that hey, at least it's not finals week! I think part of it is just that I've been under a crazy amount of pressure this semester, and this is how my body is reacting.

Stress does a number on the immune system, @canadjineh is right.

Just make sure and get your rest and eat LOTS of foods...to aid in your recovery.. :wink:

Yes, lots of food, it's good for your soul :smile: I hope you feel better soon!

@BodyByBex good luck with the job hunt. It could definitely turn into a we need you job. I hope it does. Now is a great time to get your foot in the door with all the holidays coming up; show them how awesome you are so they have to keep you!

@canadjineh Those staples :astonished:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yeah!! Another night with no patients dying. I'm off tonight but starting Thursday I'm on all weekend. Gonna enjoy tonight and eat well off my plan. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    So what does everyone have planned for the holiday! I had hoped to feel better enough to help with cooking tomorrow, but I almost passed out helping my roommate move some stuff around this morning, so that's looking doubtful. We're keeping it simple this year, but Imma still eat ALL the things.

@sufferlandrian -yay no dying! Sorry you gotta work on the holiday, though.
  • bethanie0825
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yeah!! Another night with no patients dying. I'm off tonight but starting Thursday I'm on all weekend. Gonna enjoy tonight and eat well off my plan. :smile:

So glad to hear no pets died.

I'll be working tomorrow but Friday-Sunday, my normal days off. My hubs, boy child, and I will be enjoy ALL the things Saturday since I'm working and hubs is working tomorrow evening at a large box store for OT.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You know me. I've got work planned from tomorrow day and then Friday morning straight through to Monday Morning. I need another vacation. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Vacations for everyone!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    All I need to do is win the lottery and I can take a vacation. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yeah, staples freak me out, lol. I prefer the look of actual thread stitches. It's the common thing to do these days, that way they make sure that the incision stays together until properly healed. When I was younger, I remember too many tough young guys who used to pull their own stitches out as soon as THEY thought it was time.

No special holiday here except that every store is into 'Black Friday' (any marketing opportunity they can find *rolls eyes*).

Hoorah for LIVE pets!

Bex... crossing fingers for job possibilities.

Jennifer.... no chips just means you get Mexican hash, meat, cheese, onions, peppers, olives, avocado, salsa and sour cream. Mix in pan, broil til bubbly. Low carb, lol.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    All I need to do is win the lottery and I can take a vacation. :smile:

Same here lol
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Yeah, staples freak me out, lol. I prefer the look of actual thread stitches. It's the common thing to do these days, that way they make sure that the incision stays together until properly healed. When I was younger, I remember too many tough young guys who used to pull their own stitches out as soon as THEY thought it was time.

No special holiday here except that every store is into 'Black Friday' (any marketing opportunity they can find *rolls eyes*).

Hoorah for LIVE pets!

Bex... crossing fingers for job possibilities.

Jennifer.... no chips just means you get Mexican hash, meat, cheese, onions, peppers, olives, avocado, salsa and sour cream. Mix in pan, broil til bubbly. Low carb, lol.

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU?!

In other news, we put on a really small spread just for ourselves this year, it was nice.

I continue with mystery illness, which sucks!

Still looking for a job.

Hope everyone has a great holiday, when/however they celebrate it!

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yeah! Only 66 hours to go! :smile: Been busy so that makes time go faster.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

*hands you a Red Bull* you go this!

So, my fam convinced me that I need to go to the dr in the morning....after I told them I was getting dizzy and short of breath while laying down, not moving. Maybe some antibiotics'll get me back on my feet. Z Pack, here I come!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yikes. Tend to agree with your family on this one. That's not cool when you can't breath. Keep us posted.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Been awake since noon because I had my interview with the United States Postal Service today... this is gonna be a LOOOOOOOOONG night.

So here's where I am at so far with the job hunt:
    I got offered the job at Chick-fil-A but it's only $8.50 an hour until I move up in their world so I couldn't take it due to current financial obligations.
    I got offered(and they are STILL emailing and calling making sure that I am SURE of my decision...which is annoying) the Amazon fulfillment position. I turned that one down because the salary doesn't balance out the cost of the drive(but it seriously looks more and more appealing every minute which I think is why they do the annoying phone call/email thing).
    I also have the United States Postal Service job available to me, but I couldn't take it due to the dates/times of training and that I am only really guaranteed 2 days a week of work. Shelly(our local post master) said she was more than willing to alter the start times once I began working out of the Bastrop location, but training times are non-negotiable. So I couldn't take that one either.

I need to just bite the bullet and finish filling out the 911 dispatcher application for Bastrop County but I am so nervous that I might not be good enough.
  • BodyByBex
    Options

*hands you a Red Bull* you go this!

So, my fam convinced me that I need to go to the dr in the morning....after I told them I was getting dizzy and short of breath while laying down, not moving. Maybe some antibiotics'll get me back on my feet. Z Pack, here I come!

Get better!

Anytime I get dizzy/short of breath while laying down when I have pneumonia. I HATE pneumonia.