Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My rounds (I have to do 3 per shift) were all extremely abbreviated last night because it was fracking COLD! Looks like it's gonna be cold tonight, too, but I can plan a little better and wear more layers.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Snow warning here for my first patrol back. I live 20 minutes away from the office (12K) and it's been snowing like stink here all night and today and it will snow 20 more cm tonight. Ugh! I'll really have to be careful sweeping off the patrol car again, that's how I got injured 2.5 weeks ago :s . Good side is no baddies will be out cruising around to get into mischief tonight. I just hope everyone at the gov't offices and businesses focus on locking up properly and won't be too distracted and worried about their commutes home that they leave things unlocked :# .

@sufferlandrian - tummy upset is no fun. I had to deal with a preggers-looking distended belly the other night from too many GF cranberry cinnamon muffins (excess xanthan gum is NOT my friend). Hope you are up to snuff tonight.
    Jennifer... sometimes I feel like we appear as Bibo (the Michelin Man, lol) on our rounds.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Haha yeah we probably do! My uniform BEFORE extra layers hides my shape entirely!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Just crossed paths with a skunk during a foot patrol. We were both startled by the same noise and he dashed out from underneath a truck and went running. Glad I didn't get sprayed!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Skunks are cute, and if they are treated with respect make good neighbours. We used to have a mama den under our cement side entrance slab and raise kits. We watched her take her family out for a ramble in the early evenings. The babies were so sweet and we never had any problems with them.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Haha yeah, skunks are pretty cute, but this one had just been startled, so it freaked me out 'cause I didn't wanna get sprayed!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    True nuff! You don't want to be close to a startled one lol..... cause ya never know.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,231 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, cute or not, I'm not a fan. Rabies reservoirs, parasite carriers, destructive behaviors, and generally unpleasant when you encounter them on a bike.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Skunks are ok with me as long as I don't get sprayed-but I've always hated possums. I'm an animal lover, but seriously, they're just giant, ugly, mean rats! Bleck!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Skunks are ok with me as long as I don't get sprayed-but I've always hated possums. I'm an animal lover, but seriously, they're just giant, ugly, mean rats! Bleck!

That about sums up a possum. :-) I'm not a big fan or squirrels either. They are just rats with fuzzy tails. People always want me to save them for free. If you're going to let your dog catch them, expect to pay for the medical bills to your dog and the squirrel.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Back to commuting to work. The weather is 12 degrees but the sun is out and there is no wind so it's quite enjoyable. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Squirrels are just BAD, they kill baby birds. I hate them too. Weird, but in July of 2015 a rabid river otter (of all things), attacked a girl paddleboarding in a canal in Virginia. Problems in Canada tend to come from sick bats, raccoons (especially in Ontario, near the border), and way up north, Arctic foxes. Only 25 people in Canada have been diagnosed with rabies since 1924.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, Edgar Allen Poe didn't die of alcoholism. He died of rabies.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Got one in tonight not doing well. Was bitten on the head by a mountain lion. Having seizures and bleeding from the cracked skull.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Got one in tonight not doing well. Was bitten on the head by a mountain lion. Having seizures and bleeding from the cracked skull.

Wow, that's pretty terrifying. Mountain lions are all over by me.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I think this kid is going to make it through the night. I'll transfer him to his regular vet. If he makes it through the first 24 hours, he'll probably live.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I think this kid is going to make it through the night. I'll transfer him to his regular vet. If he makes it through the first 24 hours, he'll probably live.

YaY! Hope he pulls through.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    He is looking better. Finally able to sleep without having to induce unconsciousness.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Wow, cougars. They are pretty shy around here but do pop out of the bush once in a while. We usually like to track them while skiing but never bring dogs with us. Most dogs tend to rile the bears & moose, and attract the cougars (tasty snacks, lol). Hope the dog made it!