Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,489 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your auntie, I hope she felt fulfilled and satisfied with her life.

@bethanie0825 are you T2D or pre-diabetic? Hyperinsulinemia causes increased plantar fascia thickness which generally makes them less flexible and more prone to stress injuries. https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22349878 You might want to switch training for water running in the pool until you are healed. And if you haven't gotten your insulin (not the usual blood glucose tests) done you might want to do that. Higher than healthy insulin levels (insulin resistance) show up a while before blood sugar problems. Hoping you feel better soon!

Holy snaps, I have PCOS which makes me insulin resistant. They check my levels every so often but I don't have any other symptoms of being pre-diabetic yet. My dr has talked about starting me on metaformin to help with weight loss, which in turn helps with the PCOS. It sucks right now bc I have my first 5K in 2 weeks; running yesterday made me seriously considering pulling out of the race bc I can barely walk without limping. :disappointed::cry:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Ouch! Been there. If you pull from the run, remember it's better to avoid serious injury than to force a result you won't like. Always remember the motto "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day." It's not called quitting, it's called healing.
  • sufferlandrian
    I expect smoke this time of year, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm ready for rain or a change in winds so the fire has to go back over fuel depleted territory.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    62 F in Georgia....what is going on??
  • sufferlandrian
    What??? It's going to be 95 here in Kalispell. When did we flip?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2017
    Fire started this afternoon just outside of town by a spark from a train wheel as it passed over the tracks. They managed to hit it hard and fast with 4 waterbombers and crews on the ground. It's out tonight.... we can breathe easier. Still no rain for the next 14 day forecast and highs in the low 30's Celsius. I have the next three days off but there's nowhere to go without fire and smoke.

I saw all the big fires in Glacier Park, on the online Kalispell news. Too bad that heritage lodge was destroyed @sufferlandrian.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Finally started classes last Thursday, only a week after the semester started. Hooray for last-minute program changes! I'm still a bit behind in my reading but should be caught up by the end of the week.
    Did anyone do anything to celebrate Labor Day? I slept for the entire day, since I didn't have class. It was glorious.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    I slept right through labor day...as I labor all night :(
  • sufferlandrian
    @canadjineh - It's bad when your automatic lights come on around noon because the smoke is so thick.

Well, another holiday weekend down. I'm wiped out from two 40 hour shifts.
  • canadjineh
    A couple of our long weekend days were clear enough to do something so I went to the beach on Sat. afternoon. Only the third time this year, and I live in a town on the lake. Sad. Too busy with work generally and too smoky on days off this summer. It was very relaxing though.
    Monday afternoon we went for a little hike. It was 31C but at least it was a bit cooler while we were hiking under the cedar and pine canopy. A fine bit of a breeze as we looked out over the valley and three other lakes in the distance, but smoke was moving in from the south so it started to get hazy. It felt good to be out there for a bit of recreation.
    Mt. Swanson September Selfie:
    5ehscxnsccij.jpg

Hubby on the peak:
    ls3oxwwkmr0p.jpg

Afternoon sunlight slanting through the cedars on the lower section of trail:
    n7zq9ympqrk2.jpg

• sufferlandrian
    Very nice. Wish I had skies that clear. :)
  • canadjineh
    It was all smoked in again today... gotta take advantage of the clear skies when we can, because the wind shifts and before you know it you can't see across the valleys.
  • sufferlandrian
    Visibility down to 1 mile.
  • jennifer_417
    edited September 2017
    I keep hoping to get my kayak out at least a few more times before the weather turns, but things keep cropping up, and it's swiftly getting cooler. It was 49F when I woke up this morning. Boo!
    Also, I seem to be coming down with something icky that I hope won't hang on forever.
  • canadjineh
    Jenn you could always save your kayaking for late fall or winter.... Kayaking in the winter is awesome. On New Year's day a bunch of us go out on the lake in kayaks and canoes. Most wear pogies or gloves but it's exhilarating on a sunny day.
  • sufferlandrian
    Hurricane Irma, you just wiped out St. Martins. Where are you going to go now?! "I'm going to Disney World!" :-)
  • canadjineh
    Yeah....watching this closely since we booked a flight to Miami for early Dec a couple of weeks ago. :s Haven't made any other arrangements for hotels, vehicle or even where we will be headed from there - not until after all this is past and we see how the infrastructure held up. We went to Cabo just 2.5 months after the hurricane there a couple years ago and you could hardly tell... The Mexican govt was instantly on top of it for repairs and help.
  • sufferlandrian
    Florida will have all the businesses up and running. It's the houses that will take years to repair.
  • jennifer_417
    How many times do I have to say, "I don't know anything about this event, I was not given any information about it" before this person stops asking me questions about this event?
  • jennifer_417
    Also, it would've been helpful if I had been given some information about this event before all the zoo employees punted...