Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    They are gorgeous. All you can see hiking around here is smoke. We are on a "Very Hazardous" air quality alert. The smoke is so thick these days you can't even bike indoors. And as if that wasn't enough, The forest fires in Libby Montana are about to run through a vermiculite mine. That will dump Asbestos into the air when it burns. Hopefully the firefighters will just back off and let it run through.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ That IS SCARY!
    man-in-protective-hazmat-suit-3d-model-low-poly-rigged-max-obj-3ds-fbx.jpg
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    The rain didn't come around here. We got a lot of wind but no rain. So no relief on the fires. All my clothes smell like a campfire. I can only hope that some of the fires run into where the other fires have already burned.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yikes man! If anyone needs me, I'll be in my underground bunker! You guys stay safe!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It's great if you barbeque. We eat smoked ham, smoked sausage, smoked bread, smoked bananas and the list goes on and on. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been gone for far too long. Hurricane Irma was annoying around my parts. Just breezy and a day of ran. I think it moved out quicker from where I am than they originally thought. Got another weekend at the beach and remembered to take my swim suit this time :lol:

I did manage to eek out a 5K this morning. My feet are killing me right now lol.
  • canadjineh
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Be careful Bethanie until you can get the foot issues figured out....you wouldn't want permanent damage. Glad you weren't slapped too hard by Irma.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I concur on the take it easy on the foot. Tendons and ligaments take a long time to heal. They don't have a direct blood supply so it takes much longer for them to heal. Can you do something besides running for awhile? Swimming? Cycling? It took me six months to heal from my plantar Fasciitis.

The smoke is finally clearing and I'm stuck at work. I guess it's time to get back on the indoor bike. Maybe after this next bowl of Raspberry Gelato. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Ugh, that's my issue: plantar Fasciitis in my left foot. I'm good once I get moving but if I get up, I can't put my heel down :cry:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I'd deep water run in a pool if I were you... absolutely no impact on the foot and yet resistance of the water makes it an even stronger muscle building/toning exercise while recovering.
    Here's a quick link of someone else's (a marathon runner) experience: https://runawayfromzombies.com/pool-running-plantar-fasciitis/
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Smoke moved in on us again last night and today.... but at least we got a little bit of rain this afternoon. Our official State of Emergency for the province is ending because things are calming down (yaaay) although there are still just over 150 fires still burning in BC :/
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    We're supposed to get some rain tomorrow. That should help with our fires. The wind picked up today and with the cooler temperatures slowing down the fires, the skies are clear enough to ride again. I'll have to see if I can get enough time to ride tonight on the indoor bike.

@bethanie0825 - The problem with Plantar Fasciitis is when you are not walking, fluid builds in the tendon sheath and it makes the fascia quite painful. If you get up and get moving you risk damage to the fascia prolonging the agony. Using an orthotic can help. You don't need a custom one but it would help to consult with a podiatrist to see which would help the most.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Finally! Rain and clear skies
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    @bethanie0825 - The problem with Plantar Fasciitis is when you are not walking, fluid builds in the tendon sheath and it makes the fascia quite painful. If you get up and get moving you risk damage to the fascia prolonging the agony. Using an orthotic can help. You don't need a custom one but it would help to consult with a podiatrist to see which would help the most.

Yes!! It feels better to be up and moving but then get sore. Sit down to rest and getting up is ridiculous. I have inserts in which help but my feet still get fatigued. @canadjineh thank you for the article, I'm taking any and all advice I can get!

I'm glad things are clearing up for you guys. I couldn't imagine having to deal with fires, the smoke, the evacuations. It's crazy.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It took almost a week to get in to see my dentist. The problem with finding a good dentist is they get popular quickly. I think the tooth he has been trying to save for the last couple years is finally ready to bite the dust. I'll be glad to stop taking 1000 mg of Motrin three times a day.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    6d2aa41a2b3d11331226856ae9d99cf3--the-scream-edvard-munch.jpg
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    That looks like me when I realize I forgot my daughters birthday. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I'm thinking more along the line of dental work.... Monday I go back to mine as he is working on fixing my front teeth. I have had a bad habit almost all my life of chewing on things - some non edible like pens & pencils. I use my front teeth to take thin slices off hard foods and crunch them down that way. I also clench & grind at night and have 2 special mouthguards that I trade off. Anyhow, long story shorter... I have worn down and damaged them so much that he has had to build them longer to protect the dentin that was showing on their edges. I was unable to slice-chew my old way at first because my repaired teeth did not bite down the same, but soon unconsciously figured out how to do it again and have already chipped the edge of one tooth. He doesn't know yet but I'm sure to get a lecture on Monday :# .
    I think it's a mild case of OCD because I can hardly stand to NOT chew crunchy food that way (and I love crunch). I've had this dentist for 35 years; I remember when his wife (who is a dental hygienist) was pregnant and now his daughter and son-in-law are both in practice with him. They are all awesome and talented dentists. He mostly does consults and tricky specialty stuff now and we usually have the 'kids' work on us for regular checkups.

Think of how much you'll be saving on Motrin, lol.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    That's cool that you have had him that long. My problem is between working long overnight shifts and cycling, I've not been kind to my teeth. I used to eat a ton of sugar to stay awake. I've switched to caffeine but I'm not sure that's any better. Most Caffeine comes in sugary drinks or acidic beverages. It's eaten away a lot of the enamel on my molars. It may be time to say goodbye to the tooth he is working on.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Time for an implant??