Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    You’ve got to be kidding. It never rains but what it pours. I know there isn’t anything we can do, but keep us posted on what they decide to do about the strokes and the wrist. Any word on the car?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    They don't think the wrist is broken, but they're gonna put it in a cast for 4-6 weeks. As far as I know, there's nothing they can do about the strokes. And it'll probably be Friday before I hear anything about the car.

Thanks for caring, guys. I appreciate it more than you know. Feeling pretty frayed right now.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I’ll bet you are feeling frayed. You definitely have my sympathies. It’s one thing when you can do something about the emergencies that pop up. When then is nothing for you to do but sit and wait, the stress level goes way up. I hope things get better soon.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    My back is killing me tonight! It feels like someone grabbed one of the muscles and is just twisting it.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I always love when a client tells me their dog couldn't have gotten into anything. However, when I ask what the feces looks like, they tell me "I don't know. He has a doggie door and goes out whenever he wants."
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Here we go. Another weekend. Didn’t we just do this?
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Here we go. Another weekend. Didn’t we just do this?

Sigh...yep.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I really want to be on vacation. The weather is chilly and windy. It would be great for going out of the fat tire bike. No one else would be out there. The only thing making it better would be rain. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    OK, mom's out of the hospital. They don't think her wrist is broken, but she has an appointment Thursday to get a cast on her arm, which she'll have 4-6 week. There was nothing they could do about the mini strokes, since they all happened in the past. She's in good spirits, but needs a lot of extra help, since she can't use her right hand.

As far as my car, the mechanic says it'll be about $2300 to replace the engine. Which honestly isn't bad. I told them to give the car a good once-over to see what else is wrong or might go out in the near future, before I decide what to do.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Jenn, glad your mom is out. Why do they want to put a cast on if it's not broken? They try not to cast as much any more because the sooner you can use the muscles and get your range of motion back the better the recovery. I'd certainly question it. If it's a matter of reminding her to be careful with it a sling works better. Also investigate the Transient Ischemic Attacks. They are a serious sign of likely upcoming major stroke. She may need some tests.
    Sorry about the 'lecture', I know you already have enough on your plate.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow. That seems like a lot of an engine. Guess it's been awhile since I had to have one put in a vehicle. Last time I swapped engines in a vehicle it was $1000 but that was back in 1984. My last transmission was $3000 so I guess $2300 for an engine doesn't sound so bad after all.

Glad your mom is out of the hospital. They must think there is tendon damage if they are putting a cast on it. 4-6 weeks would be about the time needed to heal it where she can use it without worrying about snapping it. It will still take about 9 months for a tendon to completely heal.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Old men with old dogs that need to be put down are always heart wrenching. Not how I wanted to end my shift this morning.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Sad, @sufferlandrian :( It's so hard when they are so attached to their pets and it's just a glimpse into the near future for themselves.
    Ugh, that was dark!
    Sorry, all!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It keeps snowing in the mountains near town. I can't wait to break out the XC skis. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    @jennifer_417 Holy crap. Why does it always work like that? Car troubles are the worst bc you have to have a vehicle for your job, to pay for the vehicle. I hope they work with you and let you make payments. And I hope your mom is feeling better *hugs*
    Old men with old dogs that need to be put down are always heart wrenching. Not how I wanted to end my shift this morning.
    This hurts my heart too :cry: :heartbreak:

I'm on long week #1 of 2. I work Friday and Saturday like normal, have Sunday off, then work another long week. Changing rotations again but going back to my original side so I can't complain too much. My dr started me on Metformin last week. I started with one pill a day and started 2 a day yesterday. Managed to work out 4 days last week which left me feeling hella better. Now if only I could get my self control going again when it comes to food, I'd be good :lol:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Joints are feeling sore this past week, but I feel well enough to hike around a bit through old growth hemlock alongside a lovely river with my hubby today - Canadian Thanksgiving holiday. Sunny and 4C.... we also had a bit of snow on the mountain across the valley from us a few days ago. I don't have my snows on yet, but we don't often get a worrisome snowfall here in the valley for at least another month. Ice on the roads at 5am on my drive home from work is on my mind, though.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    We've got snow in the hills and mountains around the valley and expect snow Thursday. Should be a fun bike ride home. :smile: I'm going to have to put my studded tires back on the bike before the end of October.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Why do we still teach multiplication and division of fractions in school? Why not just teach kids to convert them to decimals and do you math functions from there? Why don't we let kids use calculators? It seems like it knowing how to do the problem is more important that routine math function. If the kid is doing calculus, I'm pretty sure he can multiply 4X5. Why don't we teach more computer classes in school? It seems like we leave students ill prepared to enter the work force.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    School hasn't been about life or job skills for a very long time. Seems to me school just trains you for more school which often doesn't lead to anything but a useless degree. " Harrumpf, I have a degree in Medaeval Croatian Poetry.... What's your speciality?"
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    At least my degree was useful. My Bachelors degree got me into veterinary school. My DVM has allowed me to make a decent living so my wife could stay home and care for our two autistic sons and my daughter with Muscular Dystrophy. I'm sure there are days when she wishes she was working and I was taking care of the kids, but I can make more so we can afford to get the extra help insurance won't pay for.