Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,211 Member
    Options
    @Jennifer - OK. We'll see you in February.

My son ran away from home today. He's back home, but I'm never sure how to handle that. He's got Aspergers and yelling at him only closes his mind to what you're trying to tell him. Encouraging him seems to pass through him like like a ray of sun through the morning fog. It goes right through but only gets dimmer by the time it comes out. I probably wouldn't have been concerned as much if it was summer and spending the night outside away from his electronic devices might be a good break. However, a high if 19 and a low of -6 is not a good day to run away. So now I'm here at work wondering what to do. I know the reason he ran away, but he's been dwelling on it for over a year now. He feels powerless. He feels like he gets bullied at school (he doesn't really) and having to do things around the house make him powerless. It's hard to tell a 14 yr old that the jocks grow up to sell insurance and the nerds control corporations. Just ask Bill Gates and Paul Allen. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sufferlandrian, does your son have a special focus interest right now other than his electronics? Maybe you could find a mentor together that you trust that can encourage his interest and be a friend who is not a parent that he may be able to connect with when he feels he can't handle the stresses. My nephew has Asperger's and he does better with written praise that he can look at - aural praise just doesn't seem to sink in. Might be an idea to write notes or even send texts to your son so he can re-read the encouragement and praise if he connects best that way. Everyone is different, of course, but it's an idea. It's tough alright. Good luck!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @jennifer_417 See you when you get back!

@sufferlandrian It's hard some days. My stepson is autistic and it's hard to get thru to him some days. He's starting to have some issues with anxiety as well. He dwells on some things forever and other's have passed thru his brain and not stopped. We never know which way it'll go so we try to choose our words carefully. Then it's hard bc we don't want to pad things too much bc that's not how the real world works. Steepest learning curve ever.

I think I'm going to mention the writing things down though. He saves every scrap of paper he can so that my work for him. Thanks @canadjineh
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I'll try the texting him. He is big into the text messages with his mother. We had a mentor for him not too long ago but he got remarried and no longer has the time to answer all the texts from my son. I grounded him from his electronics for three days and he took up reading. I'm hoping that sticks.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    This poor dog. Came in for seizures and every test we run comes up with something abnormal. He's diabetic, Hypothyroid, has pancreatitis and elevated liver enzymes. Maybe it's time to quit running tests.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    This poor dog. Came in for seizures and every test we run comes up with something abnormal. He's diabetic, Hypothyroid, has pancreatitis and elevated liver enzymes. Maybe it's time to quit running tests.

That's heartbreaking. Poor thing and poor family. :cry:

Our PD weight loss challenge starts the 15th, as does my 42 week path to BLET. The captain mentoring me has suggested going keto. The foods look doable but the amount of fat in these recipes scares me. People swear it works and it's sustainable, I guess it's just my fear of fat. It's a lot!
  • canadjineh
    edited January 2018
    Options

Our PD weight loss challenge starts the 15th, as does my 42 week path to BLET. The captain mentoring me has suggested going keto. The foods look doable but the amount of fat in these recipes scares me. People swear it works and it's sustainable, I guess it's just my fear of fat. It's a lot!

Keto works, but remember if you have extra 'onboard' fat to get rid of, you don't need to add all that extra fat to your diet. You want your body to pull it out of reserve and use it.
    Quote from another keto friend of mine: Spoonfuls of Mayo or any fat for that matter is absolutely unnecessary. Eating straight fat is a huge misconception about keto.
    Just eat a meat and whatever 'lower carb-above ground' veg you like at each meal. Try to eliminate all snacking.
    You do not need any more fat than what’s in the meat or what you use to cook with.
    Fatty coffees, spoonfuls of mayo or coconut oil isn’t what keto is. Some people do that. It’s a terrible idea if bodyfat loss and total health is your goal. You’d be much better off eating more nutrient dense foods that naturally contain fat.
    Stuff like that is what turns a lot of people off of trying keto or makes it seem weird. Because it is weird to eat straight mayo!
    Our grandparents weren’t in the kitchen eating straight fat.

I do low carb/healthy fat <75 g carb/day for maintenance (4 years at the end of Feb.) Here's a useful bit of science from Dr. Eric Westman (Duke Uni.) https://denversdietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Eric-Westman-Clinical-Experience-Using-LCHF-Case-Examples-and-Tailoring.pdf
    2017 Ketofest - his YouTube: https://youtube.com/watch?v=9OFY10WjUaY
    Here's a really easy pictorial site: https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb

You can get into pretty hot shape with LowCarbHealthyFat or Keto: https://youtube.com/watch?v=b7Ldxu5wcoE
    Dr. Stephen Phinney (2016 Low Carb Down Under Conference) https://youtube.com/watch?v=r8uSv6OgHJE Part 2: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0U006YZ2w

That should keep ya busy for a few days, lol. If you still want to do it, you can join the other 49,000 of us on the private invite MFP Low Carber Daily Forum site for lots of science info links (the real thing, not bro-science) and support and answers to questions you might have. Just ask the mods to be added. o:)
    oops, forgot to add the link: ommunity.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Poor dog, sounds like it's already had a bad start to life. Sometimes I'm all for euthanasia :'(
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I always hear, "Eliminate fat, Eliminate fat!". Fat is not your enemy. Think about it. Starting in the 50's we keep telling people to eliminate fat from the diet. Fat contains a lot of vitamins, macronutrients and micronutrients that allow your metabolism to work correctly. Why when we keep telling people to eliminate fat, do we have more heart attacks than ever. Why when we keep eating low fat foods, do we have more obesity than every in the united states. Even when you factor for economic status, we are more obese than ever before. Jin is right. Eat a healthy low carb balanced diet. Snacking on bacon is not a solution. Snacking on Snackwell cookies is not a solution. Balanced diets with good fats, healthy vegitables and low carbs is going to get you the best results. The Ketogenic diet is a beautiful diet if you control what kind of fat you eat, how much carb you eat and what kind of vegitables and carbs you eat. Obviously Acorn Squash is better than bread, but when you get to carrots vs peas, it gets a bit more muddled. I started eliminating carbs after reading a book on sustained bike riding. I find it easy to maintain my weight without feeling deprived. I also found some proteins work better for me than others. However, you need to play around with that. Also, remember that 1 g of sugar doesn't mean 1 g of carbs. Count the carbs, not the sugar. I think you'll like it.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I know you're not going to believe this, but we got most of the problems with that dog stabilized. I quit running tests so I wouldn't think it was a lost cause. The dog walked out this morning. :-)
  • canadjineh
    Options
    WOW!! Great work with the dog! BTW, you might find this interesting... it was a chat thread on our Low Carber MFP discussion site not long ago: 2nd Annual Conference on Nutritional Ketosis and Metabolic Therapeutics
    February 2017, Tampa, FL Epigenix Foundation: An Update on the Effects of Ketogenic Diets in Canine and Human Studies
    https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=MpiyQ_2EbF0
    Canine and human cancers, etc.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    @canadjineh Holy crap, this is awesome! I know exactly what I'll be doing first thing Monday morning after I get all signed in at work. I want all the info I can get.

@sufferlandrian That is nothing short of amazing!

First crossfit class in the morning; run by an officer at my department and is strictly for military and first responders. Bless his heart, he included dispatchers as first responders!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Well, you are first responders. You get the first calls and have to direct services. If you don't sort out the stupid calls, they can't respond to the real calls. There have been times just having you on the phone keeps crazy customers at bay. I've had more than one threatening client who when we called dispatch, they backed down and went away. I love you guys! :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Bloody weather, grrrr! Today it's been -1C to 2C with light rain which means black ice...... I found myself driving carefully on a straight road then suddenly doggie-tracking for no discernible reason. All stops are, well, not. Good thing there's hardly any traffic tonight. Did you ever figure out what the dog problem was, @sufferlandrian?
    Lol, welcome to the club, Bethanie...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @Jineh - I think the seizures are old dog idiopathic seizures. I think the other problems are just making the seizures worse. When we controlled those, his brain was able to deal with the idiopathic seizures so he did well.

On a different note. I know people make poor decisions when they are emotional and there isn't much more emotional than losing a pet. However, when I tell you we are out of options, don't ask me what else we can do. If I knew of something else we could do, I would have told you. Also, don't let your dog seizure for an hour at home and then expect me to fix the problem in five minutes. If your going to do that, I'm going to channel Star Wars on you. "This is not the doctor you're looking for."
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    These long shifts are killing me! I really need the new vet to arrive.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    @canadjineh I love the Diet Doctor!!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Another night of crazy people. "My dog ate a bone and now he's vomiting blood. Do you think he needs to be seen?"
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Another night of crazy people. "My dog ate a bone and now he's vomiting blood. Do you think he needs to be seen?"

People are completely unable to think for themselves anymore. Common sense is gone.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    She came in. The dog has a bone that will pass but it has a sharp edge causing a lot of irritation. The dog has been vomiting so much the stomach acid is rupturing capillaries. We stopped the vomiting and the blood stopped. Yeah! Gonna be painful today when the bones pass.