Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Had a fight with one of the referring vets last night. He didn't like the way I treated a patient of his. Finally had to tell him to take his own calls from now on. I suspect that will last about a month of getting up at 3 am to see patients and we'll be back to taking call for him again.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    @sufferlandrian is this the same vet that you commented on in your Nov 6th comment...? Sounds like it could be. :o
  • canadjineh
    Bundling up tonight for my first shift back after the 'incident.' Supposed to be down to -3 or -4C tonight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Had a fight with one of the referring vets last night. He didn't like the way I treated a patient of his. Finally had to tell him to take his own calls from now on. I suspect that will last about a month of getting up at 3 am to see patients and we'll be back to taking call for him again.
    Being needed has its perks. He'll learn soon enough to tread a bit more carefully.
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Bundling up tonight for my first shift back after the 'incident.' Supposed to be down to -3 or -4C tonight.

Yikes. Bundle up and be careful!

• sufferlandrian
    Just got a new commuter bike. It's a Surley Karate Monkey. That was one very smooth ride into work tonight. About - 2 C (27 F) but it was smooth. I like it!

@canadjineh - How did your first night back go?
  • canadjineh
    ZOWIE! @sufferlandrian I love the bike name, is it the brand or do you just call it that when you are upset with it? :p

@jennifer_417 hmmmm, what to say about last night.... OMG - crazy night: boss gave me incomplete directions to a new site - had to phone him during shift to get the proper address, Scheduling boo boo meant that I had to call him again to send emerg. staff to a site (who ended up being awake 26 hrs and working much of that time), then a bloody alarm call at a large grocery store near midnight when you never know who is hiding in the meat department, etc. Luckily just stupid staff forgot to lock the door - no one actually inside. But of course, my mind heads for the worst case scenario right now. It seemed to calm down after 1 AM so at least the rest of my shift was unremarkable. Bundling up again, possible wet snow/scattered flurries tonight.
  • jennifer_417

@jennifer_417 hmmmm, what to say about last night.... OMG - crazy night: boss gave me incomplete directions to a new site - had to phone him during shift to get the proper address, Scheduling boo boo meant that I had to call him again to send emerg. staff to a site (who ended up being awake 26 hrs and working much of that time), then a bloody alarm call at a large grocery store near midnight when you never know who is hiding in the meat department, etc. Luckily just stupid staff forgot to lock the door - no one actually inside. But of course, my mind heads for the worst case scenario right now. It seemed to calm down after 1 AM so at least the rest of my shift was unremarkable. Bundling up again, possible wet snow/scattered flurries tonight.[/quote]
    Well, I guess sometimes a dive in can be better than just dipping the toes...but what a mess!
  • PCOS_VICTOR
    PCOS_VICTOR Posts: 703 Member
    Can’t sleep 😩
  • sufferlandrian
    @canadjineh - No, that's the actual name of the bike. The company is Surly and the bike is called a Karate Monkey. I've taken to calling it Steve after the monkey from "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs". :smile:

@PCOS_VICTOR - Do you usually work overnights or just having a problem sleeping?
  • canadjineh
    @PCOS_VICTOR welcome to the dark side B) What do you do for work?
  • sufferlandrian
    Apparantly she managed to fall asleep. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Well, so much for the winter weather advisory. The news channels were talking like it was a frozen version of hurricane Andrew. Instead, we got a sprinkle of rain and the temp went from 27 last night to 42 this morning. I should have ridden my bike.
  • jennifer_417
    It's raining and hovering just above freezing here. That should get fun overnight.
  • sufferlandrian
    I hate when it's like 36 and raining. Either warm up and rain, or get cold and snow. That weather is just miserable!
  • canadjineh
    Spent the past two nights watching the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour.... Ahhhmaaaayzing films.
  • sufferlandrian
    Spent the last two nights watching patients die. Can we switch? I had some very good clients. I really feel bad for them. Renal failure and cancer just don't care how good the owners are.
  • jennifer_417
    Thankfully it stayed just above freezing so no ice on the roads. There are lots a back roads here, and people who aren't smart about driving in bad weather, so it gets pretty scary when the weather is bad.
    @sufferlandrian - sorry about your patients and their owners. That's gotta be hard to watch. Hope your week gets better.
  • sufferlandrian
    edited November 2018
    Sometimes we're just on a roll. First patient of the night belonged to some young girls who are just back from visiting relatives. Their mom brought them in and after running some tests, their cat had both renal failure and keto-acidosis that developed while they were gone for the week. Had to put it down. Poor kids.
  • canadjineh
    Sorry to hear about your palliative pet care, sufferlandrian. That's a tough weekend. I hope this week is full of sweet puppies and kittens just in for their first shots.
    Glad your roads are good Jenn, it was -5C tonight and a frost on our roads. Beautiful bright sky though, and no problems this shift.
  • sufferlandrian
    I've been sick all week. I know it's only Wednesday but this has been going on since Thursday. I can't wait for my immune system to finally catch up with the new viruses.