Senior Golden Sneakers - September 2010

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone enjoyed their labor day with no labor. :laugh: :laugh: We went to Phil and Cheryl's where I grilled some hamburgers on the grill. I came home and rode the bike for 40 minutes to make up calories so I stayed under for today. :bigsmile:

Will check in tomorrow.

Sandy
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Greetings from San Francisco:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

What a wonderful day we spended, took the ferry to Angel Island, 1/2 hour the trip from Pier 39 to the Island. when we got there
    the trail was 5 miles around the Island, burn my breakfast for sure, was amazing, the view from every directions so breath taking.
    After got back on the Ferry, stop at Tiburon and waited there for short time, we got to see Dolfins and a Seal swiming on the way back to the Pier. Had lunch at Pier 39 and was Fabulous great Fish and so fresh. After we went Stanford University to visit our daughter 's office, got to meet some of her colleagues. She's doing a postdoc in the psychology department (affective sciences) there. Dinner was delicious at a neighborhood restaurant Limon was food from Peru and that was a treat. Tomorrow we are on our way home, our last flight get to Bloomington, IL at 11:30 so I won't be posting tomorrow.:heart::heart: :heart:

I'll miss my daughter so much, time we spend together was precious, I'll have the memories.:love::love: :love:

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Take care and have fun.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Gigi
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just getting ready to turn in. We had the gang out for dinner. We enjoyed roast chicken etc. I was able to get enough potatoes from my two plants to feed us and they were so tasty. Neil felt like it was a party for him so we went with that. Tomorrow is the big move and I am so hopeful that it goes well. I will admit that I am feeling pretty anxious at this point but am trying very hard not to let him pick up on that. He asked tonight if I will miss him. It seems like an easy question and easy answer but in fact it is hard, I will miss him like crazy but if I tell him that he will think he shouldn't go but to tell him I won't miss him seems callous. I went with I won't have a chance to miss you beacause I will see you on the weekend. Not only that he will likely phone me a dozen times a day but I didn't go there. It doesn't seem long ago we were talking about this as a plan for the future and now the future lies before us.
    My eyes are heavy so I better go before I get my second wind. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Tuesday is a strange day to start the week, but for those of you working it is great!!! Beautiful day here but too windy.:glasses:

Working hard on keeping under calories while trying to ride the stationary bike every day. When I have my knee surgery there is a machine you use that keeps the knee moving and I want to be able to do it for long periods of time. I tried the eliptical but I am not sure if that is good for my knee or not. :noway:

Gayla, I can't wait to hear if Neil likes his new home, but give it some time. :heart:

Gigi, glad you had such a wonderful time with your daughter, it is always great to see family that lives out of state. :bigsmile:

Barbie, how are those line dances coming? I know you love them so enjoy!!!

Marilyn, good work on preparing your meals ahead of time, that will keep you focused. Don't forget your water and exercise. :tongue:

Everyone else, miss your posts, come and check in with us.

Have a good day!

Sandy
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :smile: Greeting to all from Rhode Island! Went to a cookout at my daughter's new home!:happy: She has a huge yard and there were people swimming in the pool....while some were playing football behind the pool...others were playing horseshoes next to the pool...the other side of the pool was a net set up for badmitton and I was sitting on this lovely cement patio while my SIL was cooking on the grill...on the deck next to the kitchen. I just sat there taking it all in and thanking God for the gift of this new house and my wonderful family! How lucky we are to be all together and have such a wonderful spot to have a family get together! I'm feeling very grateful for all that I have! I hope everyone's Labor Day was as special as mine! My food was a little messy but I've been on the treadmill daily so I'll burn a lot of it!:laugh:
    I'll eventually get to reading the posts but haven't been checking them since Friday:blushing: so I have some catching up to do!!:noway:
    Have a great day!
    BirdieM:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody.
    Well I am doing much better today. can ge out of the chair without Jerry help. now he will think I can do the didhes. ell it was good while it lasted.
    now I am trying to find a good price on a lift for my power wheelchair. Those thing are expensive. Jerr hasn't got the ramp made yet We are in for a lot of rain for a whileBut he has all the stuff. Ready for it.

Gayla How did today go? I am keeping my fingers cross that he adapts will well. I am sure he will. I don't know about you and Dave tho.

Sandy, How are you liking your new floor in the basement. It looka will good.

Gigi behave yourself out in SF
    Marilyn. how is all of your animals?
    Barbie getting back in the swings of things

Birdie, Your daughter place sounds devine. Glad you had good time

Jeffrey we are going to have to send some one lout looking for you.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gayla, I'm thinking good thoughts about Neil and his new place to live.....even if he calls a lot every day for awhile, it will still be a great next step for him and for you.

:flowerforyou: Marie, I'm glad you can out of your chair by yourself even if it means that you have to do more chores....being independent is so much better.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Birdie, the cookout at your daughter's new house sounds like a lot of fun and so great that she has a new house for hosting her family.....gratitude is always the best way to look at everything

:flowerforyou: Sandy, do you have hand weights for doing some strength training and upper body workouts while your knee is healing?

:flowerforyou: Gigi, I hope your trip home was fun and uneventful

:flowerforyou: Marilyn, good luck on your application for the supervisor job

:flowerforyou: the rain stayed away today so I was able to work in the yard for awhile and take the dogs to the dog park......Jake cut the grass and did some other yard work so we were all very happy:bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Have been busy all day, between computer work and errands in the morning, and major kitchen cleaning in the afternoon. With some help from the friend I hired to help me, we managed to move the refrigerator and clean behind and under where it usually sits, and then did the rest of the floor. Also with the help, I was able to get a mini-blind off a window that I can't reach alone. It desperately needed cleaning, along with the windowsill, so that is done.

My helper also did the floor in one of my bathrooms, and some other cleaning. It has been worth every penny to have the help.

In the middle of our work, there was a noise and I looked out and the rain was just pouring down. All that rain that hit at Barbiecat's on Monday got to me today about 3:30 in the afternoon, and it REALLY poured.

I am going to be turning in earlier than usual tonight as I am tired.

Marie, I am glad you are feeling better.

Gigi, sounds like you had a great visit.

Birdie, you always find a reason to be thankful.

Jeffrey, we are organizing the search party:wink:

Good night, all

Barb
  • Lafla
    Options
    :heart: Hi everyone. I can't go to bed without telling you all that the first day in Neil's new home has gone very well. He went to work as usual and then the move began. By the time I got him 'home' from work his room looked wonderful. It just left me to do some unpacking of his clothes. I had him help me a bit and he clearly was liking him room. I stayed for about an hour going over some stuff with the manager and Neil. The biggest surprise of all is that there has only been one call from Neil. I called the staff at about nine to see how he was doing. They already love him she said. Of course, no meltdowns yet. It takes more effort to love him through the meltdowns! :wink: They have a very big schedule and he will be getting involved with Special Olympics starting next week. They go swimming once a week and I know he will like that.
    In a nutshell, so far so good. I know there may be some bumps but it feels like it was the right thing to do.

Marie -- so glad the butt is starting to feel better. Maybe Jerry has become so fond of doing the dishes that he will continue.

Birdie -- Sounds like a wonderful family day at your daughters.

Barbie -- Thanks for thinking good thoughts.

Sandy -- Great idea to get ready for post op. physio. You will be glad you did the bike riding I am sure!

Gigi -- I bet you would have liked another week in SF but it sounds like you had a great time. Hope the trip home was uneventful.

Take care, thinking of you all. Gayla:heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Gayla,
    So happy for you and Neil that the move went smoothly. Thanks for letting us know so quickly.

Sending happy thoughts in your direction.

Barb
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Everyone!! Sunny, beautiful day!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gayla, I am so happy Neil's first day was good and will pray they continue for his sake and yours. Sometimes being with peers is the best medicine. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Marie, did you get your scooter or are you using an electric wheelchair? I am confused. :noway: :noway: :noway: Do you need a lift for your car and/or truck? Jerry is making a ramp for the front door??? Did I miss a post?? Questions, questions, inquiring minds want to know. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Barb, all that cleaning and it isn't even Spring. :tongue: :tongue: Glad you had a helper to get things done, did the pups help also?? :wink:

Birdie, your daughter's house sounds beautiful and a great place for entertaining. Glad you had a wonderful time, you deserve it. You teach us all to be grateful for what we have and that is a great reminder. :love: :love: :love:

Gigi, back to the grind of everyday life, but wasn't it wonderful to get away for a while??:smile:

Daisy is at the groomer, I have an appointment for a mammogram and bone density test today and then bingo tonight. (don't wish me luck it jinxes me)

Have a wonderful day!!!

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: Hi everyone. I can't go to bed without telling you all that the first day in Neil's new home has gone very well. He went to work as usual and then the move began. By the time I got him 'home' from work his room looked wonderful. It just left me to do some unpacking of his clothes. I had him help me a bit and he clearly was liking him room. I stayed for about an hour going over some stuff with the manager and Neil. The biggest surprise of all is that there has only been one call from Neil. I called the staff at about nine to see how he was doing. They already love him she said. Of course, no meltdowns yet. It takes more effort to love him through the meltdowns! :wink: They have a very big schedule and he will be getting involved with Special Olympics starting next week. They go swimming once a week and I know he will like that.
    In a nutshell, so far so good. I know there may be some bumps but it feels like it was the right thing to do.

Marie -- so glad the butt is starting to feel better. Maybe Jerry has become so fond of doing the dishes that he will continue.

Birdie -- Sounds like a wonderful family day at your daughters.

Special olympics how great. he will love that. Sounds like a goof plv to be. Room for me I know you did the right thing for he has to learn sooner or later and by doing it now you can guilde him along and make the bumps aa little easeier One phone call. They kept him busy. So proud of him and you.

I am still on thr loe vrb diet. I have move my ticker back nd starting all over again.

Barbie -- Thanks for thinking good thoughts.

Sandy -- Great idea to get ready for post op. physio. You will be glad you did the bike riding I am sure!

Gigi -- I bet you would have liked another week in SF but it sounds like you had a great time. Hope the trip home was uneventful.

Take care, thinking of you all. Gayla:heart:
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Wonderful fall day here, cloudy, a little wind and cool, but dry and workable if you have to be outside. Got called into the second job last night thus I came home and straight to bed, my knees were so sore. Just about time to break out the turtle neck sweaters (my personal favorite piece of clothing) thin ones for work, just to keep the freezers from getting to the bones, and long ones for the season.

Well got to try and get up early and get to the gym, once I'm there it is okay, I will do something which leads to another and then I'm in it fully, water is a companion there and I usually finish a litre after the gym, before having anything small to eat. I know I will feel so much better after and a little spring in my step too for the day just reflecting on my achievement.

My kids names are: Big black dog is Sam, dog in profile picture is Cricket (my eldest sister's dog), little dog beside sam in picture is Cleo also belonging to my eldest sister. Biggest cat is Henry, black cat is Sophie, white and spotted cat is Sierra, and greyish cat is Twink, Tiger striped is Tobi. My dogs' name is Buttons.

Today my sister Barbara and I just about choked on our waters, laughing, I gave Buttons a comb, and right after getting her all prittied up she ran for the couch and began to mess her coat up again. She decided too to enter the fun tunnel I have laying on the floor. Well that tunnel was moving all over the place, four cats stood in terror, "what is that"!! Buttons finally came out feeling much messed up to her satisfaction. The cats just looked at her, they I think were wondering if that tunnel did something to her.

Anyhoo, must get some work done, luv to all..

Marilyn
  • gigi46
    Options
    Hello everyone,

The trip home was long, all the planes were n time when we got to Atlanta, went to check the gate and they were already boarding, that was good but I worried about the suitcase not getting to the plane on time. We got to Bloomington at 12:15, Mike went to get the car while I picked up the suitcase:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Got home by 1:00AM so of course you can't get to sleep right away, finally I made it and got up at 6:00 to get ready for work.:sad: :sad: :sad: The trip was fantastic. Gayla you're right ,I wished to be able to have more time.

BirdieM Your daughter's home sounds wonderful, I loved to get together with the family, so happy for you and your family:love::love:

Marie So happy you're doing so well with the chair, so good to have the ability to do what ever you want.:wink::wink:

Gayla I'm so happy:happy: :happy: :happy: Neil likes his place sound like the perfect combination for him, specially with the
    Olympics that will keep him busy. Hope you're able to relax a little, God Bless you.:heart::heart: :heart:

Barbie How was the park, did everyone had fun, hope the weather was good so you can have a good time.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Barb That is a lot of cleaning, take care of yourself so glad you got help. Sounds like you all got a lot done.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Sandy keep exercising and taking care of yourself that is the best medicine.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I got to the gym today after work and that is what I call effort, so tired because of the small amount of sleep, so I only made it to two machines a total of one hour, just looking forward to get on the scale tomorrow.:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Take care everyone and have fun.:wink::wink:

Gigi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gayla, I'm so glad that Neil's first day went well........you've worked hard to prepare him to venture out on his own....it's not surprising that people like him and I'm sure they'll understand if he has emotional periods and help him get through the tough times

:flowerforyou: Gigi, I'm glad your trip home went well and that you and your luggage got home safely.....I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few days to get rested.

:flowerforyou:Marilyn, thanks for the list of names of all your pets.....keep referring to them by name and after awhile we'll remember them. My dogs are Brandy (black Standard Poodle) and Sasha (red Standard Poodle) Haifa (black and white cat) and Bernie (big part Maine Coon cat).

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I have my appointment for my yearly medical exam tomorrow so probably the mammogram will be scheduled soon.

:flowerforyou: Marie, how are you getting around these days? better i hope.

:flowerforyou: Barb, hearing about all your cleaning makes me tired just thinking about it.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: this was my busy exercise day.....yoga, line dance, exercise bike while eating lunch, and a five mile walk with my friend on the Discovery Trail.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

Had a good meeting today and the day is beautiful so I have a lot to be grateful. :heart:

I was going to take Daisy to the dog park but I think I will ride the bike instead, I need the exercise more than her. :laugh:

Hope everyone is doing well.

Sandy
  • gigi46
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Today was a good day, slept all night Whoohoo!!!:happy: :happy: :happy: Got up I had so much energy started laundry and some cleaning. after work I went to the Gym and was able to do my regular exercise, that was fantastic. Got home made dinner and started the laundry from vacation, all done and the kirchen is clean. One more day at work and the weekend will be ahead:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: .

Where is everybody, hope everyone is doing well, so glad Sandy you had a good day and took time for you, so Proud of you:heart:

Have a great evening and have fun.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Gigi
  • Lafla
    Options
    Good evening to you all. Things continue to go well. Neil hasn't asked to come home for the weekend so I am torn if I leave it alone or ask him if he wants to come for a visit. I don't want to stir things up but I also don't want him thinking he can't come home until he is asked to come. It is hard to know what he is thinking but he seems very happy. His new furniture is here so Dave and Gregg will be moving it on Saturday. I will meet them there and make a decision at that time. I watched so much tennis tonight that I now have a headache. Now, I call that a bit stupid!! I have really been enjoying the tennis but clearly I need to take a break now and then. Thanks for all the comments and concern for Neil.

Gigi -- Glad you got home safely. It sounds like you are right back in the swing of things. When do you go visit another of your daughters? You could just go from home to home to home.

Marie -- How are you doing with the new chair?

Sandy -- Did you win at Bingo?

Barbie -- Did you get the dogs out today? It rained and rained here. Seems endless.

Barb -- How are the folks?

Jeffrey -- Where are you?

Beth -- Are you getting busy preparing for the next deployment? I think it is coming up soon.

Irene -- Hope you continue to be doing well with the chemo.

Marilyn -- All those animals must keep you very busy!!

Take care everyone and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello All,

I have been busy trying to tie off all the loose ends in preparation for starting the company training I will be taking to represent a new insurance company. My kitchen and bathrooms never looked better. I scored a fantastic deal on new towels and bathmat, etc. at Walmart and decided it was time to update my 7 year old towels...etc. I am working toward getting rid of all my too big clothes and some other things, and after I have everything dealt with, I plan to have my carpets shampooed. Once that is done, I will be ready for the winter.

Gayla,

My mom and dad are doing fine. I did their shopping today.

Marie, I hope you are doing okay with your chair and your low carbing.

Irene, You are in my thoughts.

Everyone else, you are too, but I am tired, so g'bye for now.

Barb

Doggies are pesky as ever.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Gigi glad to see you home safe and sound.

I went to the kidney doctor today. my kidney count is up. Going to called her tomorrow to see about a referral to a dietican to see what I can eat or not eat. i know I have been eating way to much protein. I look up a diet plan on The Kidney foundation site and I have been doing everything wrong. I got a lot to learn.

Thanks goodness no storms tonight nor no rain besdes a few sprinkles. We had enought yesterday.S
    Hey Sandy how you doing girl? I am up late tonight. watching the football game

Gayla how is Neil doing?

Babgiecat, How is the weather there?

Marilyn, I got the cutest little forward mail today from Phoebe. It was about a small kitten and a house bird. So sweet together.

Barbs I found out today the LC diet was wrong for me. too much Protein and some of the veggies was wrong.The only geggies I seen on the lisst was cabbage, corn and mash potaoes.. I will find out more when I go to a dietican.

Irene you are so brave during you ordeal..You sound like you are in a great mood.

Beth. I keep thinking about you going back over there.

Elli sure missed you. but not too much for I see you on FB But I miss you here, You got your boys all married off now. and A grandma too. Also a wonderful garden.

Sandie
    How that diet coming along?