Maintenance Thread

Options

Replies

• yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough I've managed to lose 1.7kg this week which takes me back to the bottom of my goal range :bigsmile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I just went on my first heavy duty bike ride of the season. I was a little disappointed in how much fitness I lost but it was great to be back burning thousands of calories in exercise again and knowing that I have a lot more freedom in my eating.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone,
    Not feeling up to par ... haven't been since thursday night. Can't quite put my finger on it but kinda like allegeries but a little more. Stayed in bed most of the weekend to try to make it to work. So I am taking it easy.. listening to my body... Trying to get lots of fluids and rest. But I am here logging in and not giving up. I will feel better soon and will be back to working out and eating much better.

Hope everyone is having a happy healthy day!!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    lobster...I felt that way all last week. Sinus, headaches, just not right but not really sick either.

Macmadame: Oh, how awesome is that!!! the fitness will come back quickly. You are such an inspiration!

Yvonne, that is incredible!!! Good for you to be back down!!! So impressed!

Andrea and Robin, it is so hard to find the happy weight, isn't it? My husband has asked me a couple of times now to not lose anymore. I am assuring him that I am just losing now what I gained over the holidays and that I want to lose just a couple more beyond that to give me a more comfortable range.

We do need to remember that too skinny is as unattractive as too fat.

D
  • lobster888
    Options
    Good Morning everyone, feeling better today. I actually got up and walked on the treadmill for 30 mins. I also drank my healthy protein drink with added flax seed. So I am having a good start my day. I also packed my vegatable fajita, so lunch should be good. Have a busy work day ahead of me - so hoepfully I keep feeling better.

Goal for today

1.) lots of fluids
    2.) try to walk tonight.- try but listen to my body - think spin class would be too much
    3.) chose healthy snacks - apple with peanut butter ???

Hope everyone is having a a happy healthy day!!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've finally finished reading this whole thread, just as the scales this morning read my target weight of 55 kg (though who knows what they'll say tomorrow!).

I've bounced between 65 kg and 55 kg most of my adult life, which are both within the recommended BMI, but I'd like to stop yo-yoing now! I went up above 70kg briefly after my now 3 year-old was born (using breast-feeding as my excuse to pig out) and got back to about 59 kg by just not eating much. Then I stopped for a bit, before trying mfp since just after Christmas.

I suspect my own, unmonitored diet involved eating far fewer than 1200 calories, because that felt pretty easy. I switched to 1450 when the goal got too close too fast, and I think I may have been eating about that on some normal days before, which was why my weight had stabilised despite regular binges.

Now I am trying to work out how to eat better, not less. Some days I go over the sugar limit before I've even finished breakfast!

I don't really exercise, but I do walk everywhere. I can't decide whether I can be bothered to work on my mummy tummy at all. Perhaps toning would work, but perhaps not...

I've really enjoyed reading about you all. Look forward to contributing too now :)
  • lobster888
    Options
    Good Morning all, Felt much better today. I got up and did my treadmill and I actual ran for about 15min of my 40 min workout. Then I had my protein drink - added a 1/2 banana and a tsp of peanut butter. Yummy and healthy. So my day is off to a good start.
    I also managed a 40 min walk last night. Trying not to over do it from not feeling well but so tired of not exercising. ...

I also took time and packed a healthy lunch and have a good snack. - but lets see if I keep to that, with feeling better my appetite has returned to normal..Yipes!!!

Goals of the day
    1.) increase water intake
    2.) keep to my packed lunch and snack
    3.) try to get another walk this evening

Hope everyone has a happy healthy day!!!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Some days I go over the sugar limit before I've even finished breakfast!
    I have problems tracking my sugar on MFP because it doesn't distinguish between added sugar and naturally in there sugar. Since the recommendations about sugar are about added sugar, I haven't figured out how to not count the sugar in things like fruit and vegetables but still count it if comes from processed food. That doesn't even get into foods like dried fruits that have both natural and added sugar!

Anyone have any ideas for how to manage this better?
    I can't decide whether I can be bothered to work on my mummy tummy at all. Perhaps toning would work, but perhaps not...
    Well we can't spot reduce so there's your answer. :laugh:

I found that, the more weight I lost, the more came off down there eventually. But it's the first place I gain and the last place I lose. And I have muscle separation from having babies so I have this flap of skin that hangs down in the area under my breast and above my waist that's not going anywhere. Even doing core to strengthen that area doesn't do much. Sigh.
  • Nessarose1
    Nessarose1 Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Save- WHen I have time to post I want to be able to find this thread. lol
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things for me to accept when I reached my goal was not having the figure I had hoped for and knowing that even if I lost another 10 pounds I still wouldn't. For anyone who has lost any significant amounts of weight I think this will be the case. Skin can only shrink back so far. I have had to be content with knowing that I am in better shape than I have been in years and that all behavior can be forgiven but the consequences of it cannot always be erased. So I have extra saggy skin on every part of my body. There is not one tight and firm section of skin. Strong muscle but not the skin.

Oh well...I don't like it but I am accepting it.

D
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    I'M IN!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation about the sugars. It was annoying to see my dried fruit add up to enough sugars to take me over, even though eating them was my attempt at being 'good' and having a more nutritious option.

My muscles split too, and I'm starting to realise I got off pretty lightly to just have a giant, stripy tummy :sad:

Now my face is about as thin as it can be without my looking ill, so I think I'm at a good weight. I've had a skinny face haircut to celebrate :happy:

I'm sticking to 1450 kcal for a bit, going over some days and under others. Part of me feels I shouldn't have to try so hard, it should all be natural, but then I remind myself that we didn't evolve for the high calorie environment we now live in. From some comments on mfp I realise how much worse it is in the States, but we are already half way there in the UK too.
  • Nessarose1
    Options
    Ok, I've only read this page . I hope you all have room for one more.

I orignially had a goal weight of 130 and hit that about 2 months ago. I changed my goal weight down to 125 because I wanted to flucuate between 125-130 while maintaining. You know? Well, After 2 months of being stuck on 130 I decided my body is done and I am at my goal. Now I need to try maintaining.

I was at 1450 calories when I hit my goal so I upped them to 1550 right now to work my way up to maintenence calories of 1680. Am I doing that right? How long should I eat 1550 before moving up to 1650. Or should I just jump to 1680? I spent so long losing that I haven't really given much thought to maintaining. :laugh:
  • lobster888
    Options
    Hey all, stil feeling better..should be back to normal tomorrow. A co-worker was sick last Friday with me but she now has the Flu - and is sick at home for the whole week. So ,maybe I should not complain...I think my vitamins, airborne, protein drinks and lots of fluids help me. So, I just need to keep doing what I do..... although I don't feel well at times...makes me stop and take care of myself ..I have not beeen really sick for a long long time.

My goals for today
    1.) water - still struggling to get back to more water
    2.) try to get in a walk tonight
    3.) Have a healthy dinner - ( I am on my own for dinner tonight and have not plan ahead!!!!)

Very happy to new peole joining us everyday. Always nice to get other view points of maintaining and "the range" we all struggle to find.

Have a happy healthy day!!!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A brief note on mommy tummy (mostly to encourage). I've lost an inch on my waist since going to maintenance! I haven't done hard core abdominal work or anything--it's just my body readjusting to the new weight and more cardio that utilizes the tummy area like running. It's still a trouble area for me (like most moms) but I just wanted to encourage everyone that it's possible to see some loss in this area especially if your body composition is still changing from exercise.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I orignially had a goal weight of 130 and hit that about 2 months ago. I changed my goal weight down to 125 because I wanted to flucuate between 125-130 while maintaining. You know? Well, After 2 months of being stuck on 130 I decided my body is done and I am at my goal. Now I need to try maintaining.

I was at 1450 calories when I hit my goal so I upped them to 1550 right now to work my way up to maintenence calories of 1680. Am I doing that right? How long should I eat 1550 before moving up to 1650. Or should I just jump to 1680? I spent so long losing that I haven't really given much thought to maintaining. :laugh:
    I'm confused. If you were staying at 130 with 1450, then isn't that your maintenance calories? If you eat more won't you gain?

I know MFP may tell you that you should be eating more, but it's just an estimate. MFP has never told me the right calories. When I was losing, it told me I should be losing 2x as fast as I was until I got down to the last 25 pounds and now that I'm maintaining it's telling me to eat 200-400 calories less than I need to maintain. It's because it never gets my BMR right. (Before it was saying it was higher than it was and now it's saying it's lower than it is.)
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    good morning.

yes, the saggy body discussion. I'm with you. Sometimes seeing that makes you disbelieve the progress you have made. When I look in the mirror and see that loose skin I still think I look the same as when I started.....
    But, after the last few months and seeing what friends on MFP have been doing and suggesting, I'm finally, just this week starting to diversify my exercises in hope that I get the toning results that Rae mentioned (about toning and losing inches while on maintenance). I think so far I have kept the weight off but aside from my waist, I never really measured anything else, so am not sure where my I have made any progress since.
    Typically my cardio was 60 minutes of elliptical 6 days a week. this week I started making changes 1) trying to do at least 15 minutes of cardio exercises with weights 2) jump roping 10-15 minutes and 3) more yoga 4) adding instructional cardio DVD. We shall see how it goes.
    Anyway, about moving your calories up--Nessa and Mori, I'm in the same boat. After the holidays I went down in calories but typical eat at 1400 and change for maintenance. Now that I feel good, losing the holiday few lbs, I need to go back up again. I have been talking to some other folks here and want be at 1400 for another 3-4 weeks and then try to move up to 1500-1600. I think I should be able to eat more than this w/out gaining weight but have not been brave enough to increase the calories although based on the #'s MFP gives me for maintenance.

Well, my little boy just woke up--must go! Have a great day!
  • Nessarose1
    Options

I'm confused. If you were staying at 130 with 1450, then isn't that your maintenance calories? If you eat more won't you gain?

I know MFP may tell you that you should be eating more, but it's just an estimate. MFP has never told me the right calories. When I was losing, it told me I should be losing 2x as fast as I was until I got down to the last 25 pounds and now that I'm maintaining it's telling me to eat 200-400 calories less than I need to maintain. It's because it never gets my BMR right. (Before it was saying it was higher than it was and now it's saying it's lower than it is.)

I don't really know how this works. :ohwell: I thought when we hit a goal we slowly upped the calories to maintenence. You think I should keep them at 1450? Cuz that is not a happy thought for me.
  • Nessarose1
    Options
    good morning.
    Anyway, about moving your calories up--Nessa and Mori, I'm in the same boat. After the holidays I went down in calories but typical eat at 1400 and change for maintenance. Now that I feel good, losing the holiday few lbs, I need to go back up again. I have been talking to some other folks here and want be at 1400 for another 3-4 weeks and then try to move up to 1500-1600. I think I should be able to eat more than this w/out gaining weight but have not been brave enough to increase the calories although based on the #'s MFP gives me for maintenance.

If I was at 1450 for 2 months already am I safe to up my calories. I did up them last week to 1550 and today I had to log a gain of 1.8. I was not particularily happy about it but at the same time I haven't been getting all my water in either.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    good morning.

If I was at 1450 for 2 months already am I safe to up my calories. I did up them last week to 1550 and today I had to log a gain of 1.8. I was not particularily happy about it but at the same time I haven't been getting all my water in either.

1.8 lbs or kg?

1.8 lbs is well within normal tolerances, 1.8 kg might be a bit high, but still in the realm of normal.

for instance, yesterday I was at 181.5 lbs and today (same time, same place) I was 186. Tomorrow I may be down to 182, there's a 5 lb swing you need to account for. Especially when you significantly change calorie counts, water levels change when glucose levels change (I.E. calorie counts), these are generally temporary, but you should expect them. It doesn't mean you gained 1.8 lbs of fat.