Maintenance Thread

Options

Replies

• kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have been doing terrible these last couple weeks. So much going on with kids and halloween and cant even find time to exercise. Also did not get to weigh this week either as I weigh at the gym but kind of glad I dont know! I was within about 2 pounds of maintenance but now creeping back up. Gonna get back on it after Sunday (halloween). Have a great weekend and dont eat too many treats!! :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm up today ... at the top of my allowed range. I hardly drank anything over the weekend so I'm sure that didn't help.
  • tjf9
    tjf9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in here too, if that's ok.

My name is Tonya and I lost 75 pounds in 2006-2007. Since then I've been plus or minus 7 pounds from that point, currently on the plus side and trying to get back to the minus side. I've taken up cycling (racing) and want to get my weight down a little further than before so I can get up the hills faster! So I'll be hanging out here until I at least get to minus 7 (126 pounds), with a goal of getting to minus 13.

I restarted in earnest last Monday (right after my birthday) and managed not to have any halloween candy. I'm focusing this week on staying in touch with my hunger and not eating just because I'm bored or tired.

I look forward to connecting with others in maintenance!
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Still trying to get back in the groove.... I did get up and exercise this morning and plan on going to my spin class tonight. So hard to get back in the routine after being out of it. Hard to log in everyday too. Afraid to weigh myself - really afraid!! Just trying to get back in the routine of exercise and logging in. Then I will worry about weight!!! I have to get a grip because I don't want to gain all the weight back and the holidays are right around the corner YIPES!!! Maybe I will go online and order my power 1/2 . I seem to get motivated with new exercise routines. HELP!!!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    So based on my cycles... I expected to shed a bunch of water weight and it looks like it's started today. :happy:

I'm trying to decide if I need to log again. I want to make sure I get enough protein every day and it's hard to do that without logging, but I'm also sick of eating to the numbers instead of to my hunger and what my body is trying to tell me. I am thinking about just writing things down in a notebook to keep a running total of the protein. It's almost as much work as MFP but it doesn't cause the craziness than logging everything here does.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I have a hunch that logging might be something I do for the rest of my life!!! Not sure I know yet how to maintain.

D
  • tjf9
    Options
    I have a hunch that logging might be something I do for the rest of my life!!! Not sure I know yet how to maintain.

D

I thought I would track forever too, but eventually it died away. The key is to know when it's time to pick it back up again. I had to kick it into gear last week, but then spent the weekend in a place with no internet and no cell coverage. I didn't track online, but I did have a mental tally going and knew how much I could and couldn't eat. I came home to a loss. Now that I have internet again, I'm right back to logging and it's having the desired effect!

Make sure you have a rock solid monitoring plan and you know what to do when the scale creeps up. You'll do great!
  • tjf9
    Options
    So based on my cycles... I expected to shed a bunch of water weight and it looks like it's started today. :happy:

I'm trying to decide if I need to log again. I want to make sure I get enough protein every day and it's hard to do that without logging, but I'm also sick of eating to the numbers instead of to my hunger and what my body is trying to tell me. I am thinking about just writing things down in a notebook to keep a running total of the protein. It's almost as much work as MFP but it doesn't cause the craziness than logging everything here does.

Personally, I log if I'm trying to hit a goal, but that doesn't work for everyone. If you know how much protein is in the food you eat, can you just track that number by itself - no logging, just a tally? Might be easier...
  • tjf9
    Options
    Still trying to get back in the groove.... I did get up and exercise this morning and plan on going to my spin class tonight. So hard to get back in the routine after being out of it. Hard to log in everyday too. Afraid to weigh myself - really afraid!! Just trying to get back in the routine of exercise and logging in. Then I will worry about weight!!! I have to get a grip because I don't want to gain all the weight back and the holidays are right around the corner YIPES!!! Maybe I will go online and order my power 1/2 . I seem to get motivated with new exercise routines. HELP!!!

When I'm really not motivated, I try to pick just one thing to improve and focus on that for 2 weeks. If exercise is an easy place to start, just hit your goals there for 2 weeks. Then weigh yourself. You'll already be feeling the success of the exercise, and it will hopefully put you in a mindset to be able to manage your weight differently, if that's what you need to do. Good luck!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options

Sometimes when I don't want to get weighed:noway: is exactly when I should get weighed. :ohwell: The stress of NOT knowing can make you eat.:frown: Today I got weighed and thought I had gained weight and I stayed the same.:bigsmile:
    Good luck and beautiful pictures.:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lobster888
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did make it to spin/ab class last night and plan on doing some walking tonight. So exercise seems easy to fall back into for me. I don't eat unhealthy - I just eat too much. I am trying to reduce my portions and drink lots of water. Maintaining is as hard as losing......
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, maintenance is harder than losing!

I stress more about whether I'm eating the right amount of calories. I've been going on runs where I burn 1200 calories and then on top of my 1580 maintenance cals I'm supposed to eat - nearly impossible. On those days I end up netting about 800 calories total and then I worry I'm eating too low and that I'll gain.

I weighed myself on November 1 (122) and put the scale away in the closet of a spare bedroom. Not touching the scale again until December 1. I'm also trying a little experiment with not logging food for 2 weeks and trying to eat by how I feel. I've been adding the protein numbers in my head to make sure I'm getting enough. I'm eating pretty much the same things I normally eat, so I should be fine...I'm just tired of being logging-obsessed. And of course, not logging is making me want to log.

Can't win I guess:noway:
  • lobster888
    Options
    Good morning all,

So I exercised last night for 30 mins on the eliptical. I also got up this morning and did power 90 level one sculpt. I also plan on going to my step class tonight. Trying to get back in a routine. My routine has changed so much with my new married life - but it is wonderful!!! Just have to plan a little better - I already prepared a healthy dinner that my honey jsut has to pop in the oven 30 min before I get home. That way I still go to step class and we can eat healthy and not too late. I have to work on my eating - I took seconds last night... I have been drinking all my water though, so that I step in the right direction.

Hope everyone is doing good!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    You can't gain weight if you are operating at a calorie deficit. That defies the laws of physics. Also, our bodies don't turn on a dime. I go on bike rides where I burn 2000 calories or more. I don't eat them all back that day. I can't without eating a lot of junk. But I do eat more the day before and the day after so that over a 3-4 day period I am balanced.

The other thing is: all these numbers are estimates. We aren't equally active every day even if you take exercise out of the equation. Some days I walk to meetings all over our campus and other days I call in to all my meetings, for example. So some days I'm under my calories, some days I'm over (according to this site) but as long as the scale isn't going up, I know I'm eating the proper amount.
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Hello!!!, still at 121 pounds this week (goal weight reached mid August 119) will have to be good again :grumble:
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Going for my annual physical next week, so after discussing things with my doc, I will decide if I want to lose those last few pounds or just try to maintain. I like the idea of a "range.". I'm quite sure I am in that good range -- 134 - 139. Still trying to get comfortable with it all. Also, at the doctor, I always weigh at least 4 pounds more. Will let you all know how I do.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi all.... I have been somewhat of a lurker since Lobster started this thread... not sure if I deserved to be here or not. I'm coming to the conclusion that... YES, I DO! :)

Reading all of your entries is convincing me of that even more. It's a bit of a mental shift... this seems like a great place for support.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! 126 this week, which is at the high end of my range. And, I agree it is just as hard to maintain!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I'm at 119 and that's the high end of my range too. I'm back to logging my food for a while. I found I wasn't getting enough protein without the logging.
  • tjf9
    Options
    Tomorrow is 4 years since I started my weight loss journey, and today I'm 75 pounds lighter. Woohoo! I am so thankful that it worked and I've been able to keep with it for so long.

Of course, I *have* let myself go just a touch, so I'm going to stick with the regular food tracking until I get down to where I need to be. :)