Maintenance Thread

Options

Replies

• bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'd like to join you all, as I reached my goal of 135lbs. March 2010! I've been maintaining a 133-135 range for the past 8 mo. now! I haven't religiously logged my food for quite some time, but every so often, I enter in a questionable meal ;) I agree, maintenance is much harder than losing was, and it seems almost everyday is a challenge but it's worth it! Keep up the great work everyone :flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging in Oct. but I'm back now. I need to log in order to get in all my protein, I've found. Sigh.
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Hi all.... I have been somewhat of a lurker since Lobster started this thread... not sure if I deserved to be here or not. I'm coming to the conclusion that... YES, I DO! :)

Reading all of your entries is convincing me of that even more. It's a bit of a mental shift... this seems like a great place for support.

Welcome smiles4miles, i'm sure that this is the place for you and that you DO deserve it!!!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Logged my breakast today! Hubby made a suspicious southern classic... 6oz. fresh deer sausage, 1 cup cheese grits & gravy. Came out to 565cal, AY! Thank god it was eaten in the morning...plenty of time to burn an make other meal choice adjustments throughout the day. As in, protein bar for lunch :wink:

How many calories are you guys consuming to maintain? I average 1400-1800 usually.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I average 2000-2100 during triathlon season. My net calories need to be around 1550-1650 so anything over that is what I'm burning in exercise.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, the last two post made me think.... how many calories are you guys averaging in order to maintain - net calories- that is after exercise? I am trying to set my base at 1500 calories. But if I exercise , I eat all those calories, so most days I exercise ad burn about 300 calories. So, my average is 1800 with exercise. On days I don't exercise I try to keep close to the 1500 and on the days I do more than 300 I still try to eat only 300 (meaning I try not to go over 1800 calories in any day). I weight is still a little on the high end of my range. But I am not gaining...yet! So what is everyone else plan for maintainance? How is it working? Any ideas, suggestions???
  • lobster888
    Options
    smiles4miles - Yes this is the place for you. It is a great thread!! (not just because I started it LOL) I think it is great ,whether you are finding that range, losing a few pounds, trying to maintain those pounds loss and in general getting and being healthier and making better food choices. It's a great place to find support, be accountable and report in daily or weekly just to keep in check. It's a good place to ask about exercise or report sucess with a program. ( I am a Power 90 success story) . Thanks to everyone on here - it's a great thread!!!

Have a happy healthy day!!!!.
  • lobster888
    Options
    Good Morning all, Well tomorrow will be a big day - I will weigh in after two weeks - Hope I am still in my range :) I am trying to get away from weighing all the time and still maitaining my weight. I have been doing my power 1/2 hour - well two days into it. I did the regular power 90 on Monday - Tuesday. I am hoping to find my balalnce with exercise and calories intake. We will see how well I did tomorrow!!!

Hope everyone is having a happy healthy day!!!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi all.... I have been somewhat of a lurker since Lobster started this thread... not sure if I deserved to be here or not. I'm coming to the conclusion that... YES, I DO! :)

Reading all of your entries is convincing me of that even more. It's a bit of a mental shift... this seems like a great place for support.

Welcome smiles4miles, i'm sure that this is the place for you and that you DO deserve it!!!

Thanks for the welcome - :) !!! As days go by, I'm even more sure myself. :) Nov 1 was my last recorded weight at 136. Today, Nov. 11, it's the same.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all, Well tomorrow will be a big day - I will weigh in after two weeks - Hope I am still in my range :) I am trying to get away from weighing all the time and still maitaining my weight. I have been doing my power 1/2 hour - well two days into it. I did the regular power 90 on Monday - Tuesday. I am hoping to find my balalnce with exercise and calories intake. We will see how well I did tomorrow!!!

Hope everyone is having a happy healthy day!!!!

It's gonna be GOOD. :) Do share. Good idea with not weighing all the time - as you'll see in my last post - a 10 day span was the lapse in time - I was surprised (and glad) to see it had been that long. Looking at furthering the gap (maybe). :wink:

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lobster888
    Options
    Well, I very disappointed to report I am above my range by 1.6 pounds. So that is not good. So it is back to the drawing board!!! I guess I have to do better - I need to get back down and stay within my range. I mean I have a range of 3 pounds!!!!! Oh well, I will keep trying - it just diappointing to have to always watch everything - how much I eat, what I eat, my exercise - oh well enough venting... I am on it!!! Next week it will move down. Back to weighing more often and counting every little calorie and cutting back on them too.

Hope eveyone has a happy healthy day!!!
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well, I very disappointed to report I am above my range by 1.6 pounds. So that is not good. So it is back to the drawing board!!! I guess I have to do better - I need to get back down and stay within my range. I mean I have a range of 3 pounds!!!!! Oh well, I will keep trying - it just diappointing to have to always watch everything - how much I eat, what I eat, my exercise - oh well enough venting... I am on it!!! Next week it will move down. Back to weighing more often and counting every little calorie and cutting back on them too.

I am having a similar problem. It seems that if I eat more than I was when I was losing weight, I gain. But If I keep it at the level for losing weight, won't I keep losing more weight? Anyway, I am down this week but only because I am fighting a stomach bug. We'll see if it holds when I eat normally again.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem. It seems that if I eat more than I was when I was losing weight, I gain. But If I keep it at the level for losing weight, won't I keep losing more weight? Anyway, I am down this week but only because I am fighting a stomach bug. We'll see if it holds when I eat normally again.

I have yet to put myself on maintance calories because of this...I have myself set to lose 0.4 lbs/week (I had to tweek it a little) and I have maintained mostly. The thing with doing this though is that you have to be comfortable with going over and seeing red from time to time. I keep in mind what my maintenance calories would be and as long as I am in that range I don't freak out. I know that eventually I might need to switch to maintenance, but for now this works for me. :)

However, I am pondering whether I want to drop a couple more lbs to make 125 my mid/high point rather than my low point in my range. The last few weeks on Friday I have seen 125-125.5 as my weight but I am hesistant to claim it on here because I vary so much during the week. I like seeing it on the scale though and I am thinking that it might be my new 'goal'.

Good luck and keep up the hard work :)
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am ready to go onto maintenance! After taking a look at my progress during my annual exam, my doctor said he felt I was at a good weight and didn't have to lose any more. He also remeasured my height and verified that I am 5 feet, 8 1/2 inches. That half inch makes a difference. I had kind of dropped it and it does put me close to 5'9" at 136 pounds with a BMI of 20.4.!

I am very, very happy! However, I do intend to keep logging in and tracking my calories and fitness. I like advising and chatting with all of my MFP friends and I know several of them really count on our 2 or 3 times a week "pep talks."

Also, I still need help reaching my calorie goals and staying under my goals for fats, sodium and sugars. Some of my friends have almost perfect diaries every day -- coming within 100 calories of their goals and never going over in those important areas.

I want to go to the health food store and purchase some protein drinks and/or bars that are almost all protein, high in calories but low in the other areas -- sugars, carbs, fats and of course -- everyone's favorite -- sodium!

I intend to keep my walking up and do more gardening and swimming. Also some other active sports that are available to me where I live. I also intend to buy some light weight weights and work on strength training and toning.

This has been such a wonderful, supportive site. Thanks to everyone who have shared their stories and support.

Barbie
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi, I bumped this thread ages ago meaning to join in but hadn't got round to posting. I moved to maintenance in August and have done pretty well since then. Currently 51.1kg which is where I'm happy, had a few weeks were I dropped to 50.5 and another couple of weeks where I was over 52. Even though the gain was within my range I found it really hard not to feel anxious that I was putting weight back on. I also found it quite hard to move from losing weight to maintaining in general, I used to get a buzz from seeing the scales drop every week, the feeling I get now when I weigh is more relief if I haven't gained.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Great Idea!!! I lost the weight and I am looking to firm up a bit more and maintain. Again great idea!! Kudos
  • barty
    Options
    Hi, I bumped this thread ages ago meaning to join in but hadn't got round to posting. I moved to maintenance in August and have done pretty well since then. Currently 51.1kg which is where I'm happy, had a few weeks were I dropped to 50.5 and another couple of weeks where I was over 52. Even though the gain was within my range I found it really hard not to feel anxious that I was putting weight back on. I also found it quite hard to move from losing weight to maintaining in general, I used to get a buzz from seeing the scales drop every week, the feeling I get now when I weigh is more relief if I haven't gained.

Wow!!! you have done so well, my weight is very up and not so much down since reaching goal in August, I know what you mean with the anxious feeling when the scales go up and I also found it much easier to lose the weight than to maintain the loss..... why is that?
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I was hoping to join your thread. I have been on maintenance phase for 6 weeks or so. In that time I have gone up a little and down a little. My ups were all caused by stress eating which I thought I had under pretty good control, but it appears that I do not, LOL. So maintenance for me is really going to require a lot of mindful work. I knew that it would be harder to maintain. There is no "payout", and our goals become not as well defined. It's like crossing the street. When you're little, you're thrilled to get to the other side and explore what's there. Now as adults, we're just happy that we didn't get hit by a bus. Maintenance is a lot like that for me. I still love doing my workouts, but I am finding myself increasingly bored and indulging in mindless eating. Having a group for accountability would be a big help for me :)

A little about me... I am a mom to 5, ages 14 months all the way up to 11 years. I started on MFP on January 4th, and have lost all 73 pounds while on here. Well, 72.6, but since my ticker says it, I'll round up ;). At the moment I am a SAHM, with 4 cats and a dog in the mix.

Barty- I think it's so much harder to maintain because we realize that we're NEVER going to be done counting calories, and exercising, and minding what we eat. When we're losing, we THINK we have a finish line. But we don't. We get there, and realize the journey's going to continue indefinitely, and it can be a bit overwhelming. But we're strong, and we GOT here, so we can DO this!
  • lobster888
    Options
    tattoodfreek - welcome to this thread!! I agree with everything you said. I am having a a hard time with maitainance - it is hard for me to. I love my workouts - Power 90 and Matser Series and the just started with Power 1/2 hour. I eat really healthy - but I just eat too much and too often. My weight is now at the high end of my range - (actually a pound over some days) I need to get a grip now before it all creeps back on. I had finally lost those dreaded last ten pounds. I need to keep them off!!! It's also a little harder for me because I don't have an actual goal like my wedding and honeymoon. Yipes... it's hard!!!

I try to be accountable - that why I am here. Everyone is very helpful and supportive.

Have a happy healthy day!!!!
  • barty
    Options
    Tattoodfreek welcome to the maintenance thread!! Wow! you have done well:drinker: we started at about the same time but you have lost nearly 30 pounds more than me...... congrats!!! I'm at 120.5 pounds today and trying to stay around the 119 mark so not too bad :happy: Tomorrow night I am out for dinner so looking forward to it but will pay next week lol i actually went to Zumba this week (first time in ages) and really enjoyed it so will try and go more often (on these cold dark nights the couch looks soo inviting) but i'm still walking the dog lots.