Cheat Day To Break Plateau

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was always thin until the age of 21. Then something tragic happened in my life and I have been around 20-30 pounds above my ideal weight for the last few years. I have attempted diets and failed. In my recent diet attempts I find my self at the same resistance weight where I plateau and can't break through. That is why I'm trying such a radical attempt this time.

So the radical attempt, I assume, is to eat ~600 calories a day? What have you done in your recent diet attempts that ended up failing, and why did they fail?

Well what discouraged me in the past is when I would dedicate myself to eating healthy and exercising only to see no results. Its different this time as I'm on a whole new level of dedication...borderline obsession, you could say.

Were you tracking calories?
  • regi7
    regi7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Starving your body of nutrients/ calories actually puts your body in starvation mode - especially if you do it for a long time. Starvation mode means that your body will hold onto as much fat as possible and will more readily get rid of muscle tissue.
  • nate92315
    nate92315 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you are trying to lose so much weight in a short amount of time, especially knowing that this method is not a "permanent" weight loss plan. Is there much use in going through the process then?

Once you prolong a deficit like this, not only are you going to lose all your muscle mass, but when you finish this diet, or fall off, you'll probably end up gaining twice the amount of fat back having lost whatever muscle you had

Females wouldn't really ever / should touch under 1000 calories a day over a sustained period, do you think a full grown male should be? You could be setting up to screw your metabolism and hormone production permanently, if you somehow do manage to keep this up a good amount of time

The weight would stay off. So long as I continue to maintain it.

How many calories do you plan to eat for maintenance?

I did'nt mean I'm trying to maintain my current weight. I'm trying to lose as much as possible. What I meant was once I reach my ideal weight (145) I will maintain it with a healthy 1,500-2,500 pd/regime. Until then I have to sacrifice to get there.

? I didn't think you meant that. I asked you what you planned to eat at maintenance, maintenance being your "ideal weight."

Where are you getting those numbers for maintenance? That's a 1000 calorie range.

Once I reach my ideal weight, maintenance would be organic lean meats, fruits, veggies, whole grains. Probably around 2,000 calories a day.
  • nate92315
    Options
    I was always thin until the age of 21. Then something tragic happened in my life and I have been around 20-30 pounds above my ideal weight for the last few years. I have attempted diets and failed. In my recent diet attempts I find my self at the same resistance weight where I plateau and can't break through. That is why I'm trying such a radical attempt this time.

So the radical attempt, I assume, is to eat ~600 calories a day? What have you done in your recent diet attempts that ended up failing, and why did they fail?

Well what discouraged me in the past is when I would dedicate myself to eating healthy and exercising only to see no results. Its different this time as I'm on a whole new level of dedication...borderline obsession, you could say.

Back then I tracked calories but cheated or gave up often. I've never been as motivated as I am now though.
  • nate92315
    Options
    Starving your body of nutrients/ calories actually puts your body in starvation mode - especially if you do it for a long time. Starvation mode means that your body will hold onto as much fat as possible and will more readily get rid of muscle tissue.

There is plenty of evidence to support "Starvation Mode" is a myth. Personally I believe it comes down to metabolism. Certain dietary habits help increase or decrease weight gain and weight loss.
  • firstsip
    Options

Back then I tracked calories but cheated or gave up often. I've never been as motivated as I am now though.

What motivates you now? Losing it quickly? Rigid control? Noting you feel borderline obsessed, and feel more motivated by calories, all points to a disordered eating pattern.

What do you expect to happen to your body once you up calories from 600 to 2000?
    What happens if, upon dieting at lower calories, you reach your goal weight and aren't happy. Would you attempt to lose more, or reevaluate your calorie goal?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

So you'll try everything except accurately and consistently tracking your calories and eating normally. OK boss :)
  • nate92315
    Options

So you'll try everything except accurately and consistently tracking your calories and eating normally. OK boss :)

I did accurately and consistently track my calories while eating right but I didn't lose weight. Thats what led up to frustration and giving up.
  • nate92315
    Options

What motivates you now? Losing it quickly? Rigid control? Noting you feel borderline obsessed, and feel more motivated by calories, all points to a disordered eating pattern.

What do you expect to happen to your body once you up calories from 600 to 2000?
    What happens if, upon dieting at lower calories, you reach your goal weight and aren't happy. Would you attempt to lose more, or reevaluate your calorie goal?

I'm motivated by the fact I will look good at my ideal weight. I know I sound impatient but yes I would like to lose the weight as soon as possible. Once I reach my ideal weight I will have control over it. I definitely am not prone to mental eating disorders such as anorexia or bulemia so once I reach my goal weight I will absolutely be content.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I did accurately and consistently track my calories while eating right but I didn't lose weight. Thats what led up to frustration and giving up.

99% of the time, that's impossible. You either weren't counting correctly, overestimated your burns, and/or got frustrated over water weight gains and gave up.
  • firstsip
    Options

I'm motivated by the fact I will look good at my ideal weight. I know I sound impatient but yes I would like to lose the weight as soon as possible. Once I reach my ideal weight I will have control over it. I definitely am not prone to mental eating disorders such as anorexia or bulemia so once I reach my goal weight I will absolutely be content.

Being "prone" doesn't really mean anything. There's a potential genetic component of EDs, but in general, anyone can fall prey to the disorders.

Regardless, I was asking certain questions because: you may not look as good at your ideal weight as you once did.

You're right that people with a tremendous amount of weight to lose won't "go into starvation mode" or hemorrhage muscle.

You're not obese, though. You're barely overweight.

Muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat. That is not "starvation mode." That is not "opinion." It is fact.

As a result, when people with less weight to lose (see, you, under 50 lbs to lose) eat very low calories, the body will lose weight... but it will go for muscle first. You could argue with me, but outside of any odd blogs you might have gotten your "information" from, the body will go for muscle first.

Very rarely does someone like their body when they've shed LBM in favor of preserving it (by eating at a more moderate deficit).

So I ask, if you don't like your body at your supposed "ideal weight," what would you do?
    Therein lies the trap, or the "cycle" of, "Well, I lost/kept losing at 600 calories... let me do that for longer."

It doesn't end well, and I'm not sure why your odd anecdotal assumptions coupled with unsubstantiated claims seems to make you think otherwise.

I can do anecdotes, too: I was on the road you were on. For a long time. It didn't end well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You willing to lose your hair to do it? Cause that's one of the side effects of extreme calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brooksbank1973
    brooksbank1973 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Couple of things I would comment on:

1 - your not obese, however....these "BMI" calculators that go on just height and weight need to be taken with a pinch of salt..I don't believe you can accurately assess your healthy weight such with such a simplistic method and are a guide only...% body fat is a much better gauge to go by but much harder to measure at home. A good Gym could help you out with this, as well as give you some good advise about what your targets should be for your age and build
    2 - You've not mentioned anything about exercise...losing and maintaining weight loss requires not just calorie and nutrient monitoring but an appropriate amount of exercise, the two go hand in hand exercise helps immensely with your metabolic rate and also with your internal health (Its not just about how you look on the outside). Perhaps another method of attaining your aim is to look at upping the calorie intake but also increasing your weekly burn?

PS - I am (Spooky) exactly your weight and height, although my weight is rapidly dropping by around 2lbs a week. I have a daily target of a little under 1600 calories, but three times a week I cycle 13.5 miles, train in Kung Fu for 1 1/2 hours and then cycle home. Going on minimum figures this is around a 6000 calorie burn per week plus my job is not sedatory..all factors....

Just thinking perhaps you are looking at just one area (Calories) where other things could help you too :smile:
  • nate92315
    Options
    BUMP
  • nate92315
    Options

Being "prone" doesn't really mean anything. There's a potential genetic component of EDs, but in general, anyone can fall prey to the disorders.

Regardless, I was asking certain questions because: you may not look as good at your ideal weight as you once did.

You're right that people with a tremendous amount of weight to lose won't "go into starvation mode" or hemorrhage muscle.

You're not obese, though. You're barely overweight.

Muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat. That is not "starvation mode." That is not "opinion." It is fact.

As a result, when people with less weight to lose (see, you, under 50 lbs to lose) eat very low calories, the body will lose weight... but it will go for muscle first. You could argue with me, but outside of any odd blogs you might have gotten your "information" from, the body will go for muscle first.

Very rarely does someone like their body when they've shed LBM in favor of preserving it (by eating at a more moderate deficit).

So I ask, if you don't like your body at your supposed "ideal weight," what would you do?
    Therein lies the trap, or the "cycle" of, "Well, I lost/kept losing at 600 calories... let me do that for longer."

It doesn't end well, and I'm not sure why your odd anecdotal assumptions coupled with unsubstantiated claims seems to make you think otherwise.

I can do anecdotes, too: I was on the road you were on. For a long time. It didn't end well.

Thanks you're very discerning.
  • nate92315
    Options
    BUMP
  • nate92315
    Options
    You willing to lose your hair to do it? Cause that's one of the side effects of extreme calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

haha yeah choosing between being bald or fat is a tough call. If it came down to it I'd sacrifice my hair to lose a substantial amount of weight. There is always hair transplant surgery which is very affordable these days.
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Once I reach my ideal weight, maintenance would be organic lean meats, fruits, veggies, whole grains. Probably around 2,000 calories a day.

Even if you do get to your ideal weight this way, you do realise once you start eating 2000 calories a day, your weight is going to shoot right back up, except that by this point you'd have lost all muscle mass, then you'd be just skinny fat. Well good luck to you, if you manage to achieve this, you should probably see a doctor....guessing there might be a case for malnourishment
  • nate92315
    Options

Even if you do get to your ideal weight this way, you do realise once you start eating 2000 calories a day, your weight is going to shoot right back up, except that by this point you'd have lost all muscle mass, then you'd be just skinny fat. Well good luck to you, if you manage to achieve this, you should probably see a doctor....guessing there might be a case for malnourishment

I disagree. That's the mainstream opinion but not necessarily fact.