What did you sacrifice to get your workouts in?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have given up my late nights for early mornings! I am a night person but last year I just started shifting my bedtime to make sure I could still get enough sleep while getting up at 5:30 every morning. Sounds kinda terrible but it's my favorite time of the day. And I pretty much ALWAYS get my workouts in now, whereas things are more likely to come up in the evenings to prevent you from getting it done.

^This

I'm naturally very much a night person but to work and fulfill my other commitments I've had to shift my day too start at 0500 in order to get to the gym every morning.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    TV
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A litle bit of family time, a little bit of workig time and a little bit of sleep...
  • twinmuma
    twinmuma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    About an hour with my kids :-( And I'm a single mother
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Exercise is central to my life.

+1.

Exercise = #1. the rest of my life is possible because of and built around it. there is nothing else for me unless this base is covered FIRST. i don't work out to lose weight. i don't work out to look good. not to compete at or qualify for anything. i do it to live pain-free, or as close to that as i might get. fibromyalgia is a real b****. ...but it has taught me that exercise makes EVERYTHING better. i sacrifice nothing for exercise. rather, it gives me everything.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Before I started working out consistently about 18mos ago, all my husband and I would do when we got home would be to play video games. Mostly World of Warcraft, but several other MMOs and computer games as well. We would literally play for 4-5 hours a night. After sitting at a computer for 8-9 hours for work and/or school. We could get a solid 12-14 hrs on the weekend days if we didn't have commitments! If we weren't at home, we'd be playing at someone else's house or an offsite LAN party or some such. That was life...and gosh darn it, I just "didn't have time" for anything else. I had to be on to raid! My guild needed their trusty priest!

One day I stepped on the scale at my in-law's house (we didn't have a scale and I hadn't weighed myself in YEARS) and saw the unholy number. Excuses started falling away, and I told myself that I wasn't allowed to hop on a computer for non-work related activities until I completed my "personal enrichment session:". Started out walking the dog after work, then found YouTube videos. I now found that it was gaming that I didn't have time for. I'd work out and find I had so much energy afterwards that I would do things around the house, or take an additional walk after an indoor workout. It was the weirdest thing...If I didn't spend 5 hours straight gaming, I didn't game.

So, my husband still games many nights, but I find that I don't really want to anymore. I'm fine with him enjoying it...it wasn't the gaming, it was the obsession I had with it that I had to eliminate. I don't know if it counts as a sacrifice now, but it was hard to give up for the first 6mos or so.

But man...I have so much time now! Anyone want some extra? :laugh:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Sleep, Family time, television!
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am a night owl and a tv addict but i gave up sleeping in to go to the gym in the mornings before work.

Makes my day better knowing my workout is done and I don't have to worry about squeezing it in after work or dinner or missing my tv shows :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    it wasn't the gaming, it was the obsession I had with it that I had to eliminate. I don't know if it counts as a sacrifice now, but it was hard to give up for the first 6mos or so.

But man...I have so much time now! Anyone want some extra? :laugh:

I can totally relate to this.When I get hooked into a good game hours can go by. I still have the obsession, but my friends haven't found an MMO that meets all their expectations so we do pass and play on the weekends like FFVII and Tales of Grace or we pull out board games.

And I have so much homework that i can't afford to game =P
  • myfuture14
    Options
    Sleeping during the day. I work 2nd shift 4/12 usually come home watch tv, get on pintrest till 3/4 am then sleep till time tho go to work. Totally wasting my day. So now I get up early hit the gym get ready for work and start over the next day
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Sleep.

The best time for me to workout is first thing in the AM before my shower. So that meant getting up earlier.

It doesn't mean going to bed earlier, unfortunately, as there is still the same amount of household crap to deal with after work in the evening.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Working out is part of my life and always will be. I workout even on vacation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    30 minutes of sleep in the morning. I started to walk to work, and then to jog. After winter I'm planning on running.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sleep. I get up between 4.25am and 5.30am every day of the week (inc weekends) so I can either go to the gym, go to work early and leave early to go the gym or make up lost time at work.