Most awkward weight comment

Options

Replies

• evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We were eating at a friends house and my 10 y/o gave me the rest of her ice cream, which I ate (can't let ice cream go to waste). But as I was eating it, the host said "no wonder you can't lo....." as his voice trailed off I realized he stopped himself from saying "lose weight." Since I didn't know him that well, I refrained from a witty response and let the awkward silence just hang there. My wife was even too stunned to respond--and that is a rarity for her. My wife and I laugh about it now.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    While my ex fiance was in Iraq, his mom and I got to know each other more. I could tell that she wanted some common ground between us so we could understand each other, so she kept bringing up the fact that she was also a "plus-sized bride." It was so hard for her to find a size 16 gown! I was about a size 20-22 at the time and knew that even if I lost 30 lb, a size 16 would not be an option. Then, one day she said, "You know, the good thing about being a plus-sized bride is that you know your fiance is marrying you because he really loves you and what is in your heart." Nice sentiment, but thin girls can have good hearts and overweight girls can be beautiful, too!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    "Mooooooo"
    yeah, that one burned deep
  • meggiewho97
    meggiewho97 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was exercising and trying to count my calories while my brother's friend was over, and I don't remember exactly how it came up, but he said, "You look like you eat alot." I couldn't help but laugh and slowly cringe on the inside.

My step-father also told me, "You look 6 months pregnant."
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i always feel awkward when people say how skinny i am. it annoys me when they're like "eat a sandwich." i don't see how my weight effects them and it would be nice if people kept comments like that to themselves.
  • explorationerin
    Options
    apparently I look smaller than i actually am..... one day i was getting fitted for a corset and the lady had been doing it for years and said she could judge a size based on looking at me.. so i allowed her too.... she then picked up one 3 sizes smaller than the one in my hand which i knew would fit... she kept assuring me this smaller one was my size ect.. and then she tried it one.... She quickly replied ' Ohhh youre a lot bigger than you look!' Umm yep thanks for that!

Whenever i go to the doctors to get weighed they are always shocked at my weight because again i dont look like i should weigh quite this much!
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I worked at a grocery store and was ringing up a customer I had seen several times before. I had lost like 20 or so pounds since the last time I saw her, so she was asking me how I managed to lose weight.
    I told her I was eating healthier and exercising and just taking care of myself.
    She told me she thought I had a thyroid problem.
    Eek!

Another customer was joking around about buying a bunch of junk food one day and asked the bagger if she liked junk food, then the customer turned to me and said, "You look like you like junk food, huh?"
    Sigh.

It's tough when people point out your weight, but sometimes it takes a stranger to snap you into focus. :]

I had something similar happen at work, actually the day AFTER I decided to get into shape. One of my regular customers (I work in a cafe) came in for coffee and I asked if he wanted anything else , I told him that everything was really good (pastries, etc). So he says " I bet you've tried everything," and I replied, "Almost, but I try to be good." He made sure to quickly follow it up with "oh, really? It doesn't look like it!"

I was pretty much crushed by that comment and I still have to serve him everyday, still akward.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I agree most comments about weight are awkward. I had a comment once that was something along the lines of, "Wow, you work really hard for your body, but who would want to sacrifice that much?" Meaning that I spend a lot of time and effort on keeping the figure that I have. Well, between that and sitting and watching TV, I will pick activity over TV any day.
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am a waitress in a small town so most of my customers are regulars. Over the summer a lady(in her 70s) who knew I had lost about 40 lbs at the time came uo to me and said "you shouldn't wear that skirt it makes your butt look big". Maybe it was a little big then but wasn't her place to tell me. I didn't ask her opinion.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A few years back, I lost 115 lbs and got to my lowest weight ever, 175. I got pregnant and gained most of it back, over time, and then ran into a good friend's stepmother, who proceeded to tell me that she was glad that I'd gained a bit of weight, because I was just really too thin. Gee, thanks.
  • mewickla
    mewickla Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was at a bakery picking up a cake to bring to a get-together, and the lady asked me if I was pregnant, so I had to politely tell her no and see her stumble to apologize, and then I didn't know what to say either so there was that weird avoiding eye contact deal haha. Yeah. Awkwarrrrrd

Unless she brings it up, you just never ask a lady if she's pregnant unless you can see her crowning. That's the most awkward thing ever, for both parties! Oi.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I recently cosplayed a character with a bare midriff. I was showing some pictures from the convention to my younger brother, partially as I was proud of the weight loss but mostly to show the costume. We were looking at a picture very similar to this one: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1426381_10200696107076861_303044756_n.jpg

He asked if I wanted to lose any more weight, I said just a few more pounds, I'm mostly happy with how I am at the moment. He said 'yeah, you look really good! ...Well, apart from the bump on your tummy. I KNOW! Just tell people you're pregnant!' I couldn't stop laughing.
  • rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My boss came up to me and started telling me about the maternity package at work. I think she was more mortified than I was when I told her I wasn't pregnant
  • theresap1031
    theresap1031 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother who is 93 "bless her heart" has a bunch of them for me:
    1. Least you have a pretty face
    2. You carry the weight well
    3. When you wear black you "almost" look thin
    4. Its a shame you weren't taller (guess the weight would have stretched????)
    5. You have a nice personality that's what counts
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A few months after having my second child (and still breastfeeding) I went to a lingerie store to buy a new bra. I told the sales associate, a woman in her late 50's or so, that I wanted something sexy and not my usual utilitarian nursing bra. She gave me a pitiful look and said to me"Oh, big girls like you don't want sexy".

OUCH!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I have to go to New Orleans for work in April and a lady i work with is going with me. She told me she was trying to lose weight before the trip (so she could get down there and eat ALL THE FOODS!). I told her I was too (not for the trip, but just because). She told me I didn't have anything left to lose and was looking at my rear end in disgust lol.. :grumble:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    A coworker and I (she was a heavier girl) were talking about Jessica Simpson back when she wore the high-waisted jeans and everyone thought she looked heavy in them. My coworker said, yeah, she probably weighs 140 lbs and wears a size 4 and is smaller than all of us! I was like.... hey, that's my weight and size.... but I didn't say anything. I've lost weight since then and am now a 2/3 and wish I could see that girl and tell her she made me feel fat that day.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most consistent awkward comments I receive, and I hear about my mom, is "You don't need to lose weight!"

What am I supposed to say? "No really, I'm a lot fatter than I look"? "Just because I'm not as heavy as you are doesn't mean I'm healthy"? I feel like that comment often comes from people who are quite heavy and they're thinking about themselves and that they would be happy to be my weight/my mom's weight, which just makes everything MORE awkward because not only are they commenting on my weight they are sort of also commenting on their own weight. So if I say, I really do need to lose weight, I'm also saying THEY need to lose much more weight. Which I don't want to say.

It's just so awkward.
  • getinmykitchen
    getinmykitchen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was overweight before I got pregnant, and though I gained a normal amount of weight I looked SO BIG! My five year old niece was so interested in the pregnancy, so I would let her go into the OB's office with me when we were doing basic stuff. We were sitting in the examination room alone I was explaining to her that we only had a a little while before the baby came and she asked me if when the baby came I wouldn't be fat anymore. lol.

My sister was mortified and kept trying to tell her not to say fat to anyone whenever she used that word, but I thought it was so funny. To her its just another adjective! I ended up telling her that I would be smaller but would probably still be kinda fat. lol. I tried to treat it like a normal word. Even when she told me I was too fat to wear her hat when I was joking around with her. xD!!!
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance was talking about how all the moms at her daughter's school are so fit and trim and that they don't like to hang around with "big girls like us." I mean, yeah, I've gotten a bit chubby, but dang!

Ouch!