Most awkward weight comment

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance was talking about how all the moms at her daughter's school are so fit and trim and that they don't like to hang around with "big girls like us." I mean, yeah, I've gotten a bit chubby, but dang!

UGGGGH, I totally hate comments like that. And I don't even mind being a "big girl" at all, I am still 199 and have been as big as 300 but what I hate is that women who say stuff like that are usually lumping me in with them. Like "Big girls like us gotta eat Sonic double Frisco bacon burgers, amirite?" or "BBWs like us can't get the hot guys" or "Isn't it awful shopping in Lane Bryant? There's no where else REAL WOMEN LIKE US can shop"

I'm just like no. Not just now but when I was at my heaviest. I didn't share that creepy mindset.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any "awkward" moments.....most really stung. I have been asked if I am pregnant, or "when are you due?" and other things pregnancy-related for years. Most of the time by other women. A couple times by a guy.

Some of the more memorable ones:
    1) The caterer from my wedding goes to my parents church. About a year after the wedding, we visited one Sunday and she came up to me and shook my hand....and then gasped and said "Ohhh, yeah! When are you due???" all while actually reaching out with her other hand to place it on my pudgy belly. I was MORTIFIED.
    2)My mom said she ran into someone from church at the grocery store who asked how my baby was. My mom was confused since I had no baby (at the time) and the woman told her that her daughter had seen me somewhere and that I looked preggo and X amount of time had passed so I must have had the baby by now.....
    3)Let's see, who else?.....cleaning lady at my old job asked me on 2 different occasions b/c she saw me smoking (for the record I am smoke-free for 6 yrs now) and was apparently concerned for the baby's health - I bit her head off the 2nd time she asked. Check-out lady the grocery store. Random people at work. Random guy I took a class with at church. It happens a lot.

I was thin growing up so I have heard comments from the other side as well. And last year when I lost some weight and started dressing in my new, smaller clothes I heard stuff like "If you lose any more weight you are gonna waste away" or getting called a skinny minnie. (HA! Let me show them my dance pictures from when I was 10-16 YEARS OLD....that was skinny minnie!)

There is no pleasing other people, only myself!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My most memorable awkward moment was after I had transitioned into maintenance and I ran into a friend who I hadn't seen in a while, who has a pretty blunt personality (aka no tact filter on her mouth lol), and she dug into me a bit about losing too much weight and being 'too skinny' now (and yes, she's overweight). Several minutes after this (in which I just stood there, totally flustered and embarrassed because she was saying these things in front of other people), I ran into her husband and he did a double take, mouth fell open and told me that I looked amazing :bigsmile: Funnier yet, he did this in front of my husband, got more flustered when he realized what he had said, and apologized to my husband :laugh: I love my friend, but I look pretty darn good now, thank you very much :wink:
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I would have filed a complaint about it with your boss., just because he is a customer does not mean he can say **** like that and get away with it.
  • CassiLyn6626
    CassiLyn6626 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother who is 93 "bless her heart" has a bunch of them for me:
    1. Least you have a pretty face
    2. You carry the weight well
    3. When you wear black you "almost" look thin
    4. Its a shame you weren't taller (guess the weight would have stretched????)
    5. You have a nice personality that's what counts

She sounds as sweet as my granny! God love her.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I saw a guy that I had worked with 3 years ago and he said "Hey, you been hittin the gym? I cant tell." Then preceded to make the hand motions people make... gosh I can't describe it... like Danny does in Grease.. The big boobs, small waist, big butt hand motion... lol whatever thats called. Sad thing was that he wasn't trying to joke with me, he was dead serious trying to give a compliment. Awkward....

Thanks for helping me snort-laugh at my desk in my dead silent office. YESSSSS!!!! so funny
  • amberkeever1
    amberkeever1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tired of people telling me I will disappear if I lose anymore weight, :grumble:

I've been hearing this a lot and it's not bad unless it's in front of someone who's had the "I want to lose weight too." conversation with me. I do find it funny too because I need to lose at least 25lbs and possibly more once I reach that first goal.
  • yom8
    yom8 Posts: 10
    Options
    oooh so many to choose from haha

My friend, who I hadnt seen in a while, told me she had lost a load of weight and she had saved me all her clothes which were now far too big for her. I had to skirt around the offer as the clothes were far too small for me :/ She brought it up every time I saw her for the next few months.

When we were out one day my friend and her mum were having fun on the zip line. I was just moving to get a better look when my friends mum appeared horrified and said 'your not going on are you?....your far too....um I dont think its your kind of thing'...hmm awkard.

Loads more stashed away in my box of shame..

people are SO rude!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Spring Break Panama City Beach my first year of law school... my friends and I had frat boys from an undergraduate moo at us in the hot tub... Clearly we'd all gained more weight than we'd realize.... we were use to being the hot girls previously.... luckily I was drunk and oblivious to the situation... I had to be told by a friend about it later....awkkkkkward
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Had a woman rub my belly on the bus once, i just looked at her and told her I wasn't pregnant and to please stop touching me.....last time I took that bus to work. *pokes belly*
  • AmbientBlu
    AmbientBlu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    An elderly gentleman who works seasonally in my office once told me "if you lose anymore weight you'll be too top heavy to stand up."

:huh:
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Probably too many to count. The one that sticks out the most was in college at a bar I was an average 5'6" 150 size 10/12 and a guy came up to the table sat down and proceeded to say "I know your probably self conscious about your weight but how'd you like to dance?" - Really Asshat. Then when I shot him down with an obviously snotty remark he turned to my friend and said "What about you?"

I've also had a lady tell me she thought I was the tall thin girl from another department when she first saw me (at the time I was hovering between 170-175 no where near thin) so yeah that was awkward.

So those comments obviously sting but you think once you lose the weight you won't have to deal with awkward weight comments anymore. Not so much, lately I have been dealing with "how much more weight are you going to lose" or "you just keep shrinking" comments ALL the time. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so constant - some days I want to shout "Yes because I have shrunk so much since you made that comment two days ago!". Now that I am at a normal BMI it is coming off very slowly so when I've only lost 2lbs in a month being baraded by those comments is just annoying.
  • kkooge
    kkooge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten three meals a day, plus a light snack at morning tea and afternoon tea time.
    One of the guys at my work said to me one day, in front of all the other guys that work there "you know, if you didn't eat so much you wouldn't have to exercise like you do". Duh, wish I had thought of that.
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I wanted to buy a skirt, and the smallest size they had was about a size too big. When I asked if they had the next size down, the sales lady told me they did not, and if I would just eat a couple of cheeseburgers, I'd be just fine. Uh...thanks?

The other thing that bothers me (a little) is that I'm often not offered treats at work because I "obviously" wouldn't eat them. I consume about 2500 calories per day, thankyouverymuch, but I also work out every day.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This thread has given me all kinds of ideas.... like if anyone ever said I was pregnant and rubbed my belly, I would just start rubbing theirs right back. Or if they asked when I was due I'd say 2017, how about you? And next time someone says I don't need to lose weight I'll whip out my belly pudge for all to see and make them feel awkward.
  • godot77
    godot77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've had so many bad experiences with this. I'm usually slender (size 6--ish, 5'6.5") until I have a kid, and both times, I gained a large amount of weight, ending up at about a size 16 when the baby is 1. Last time was 12 years ago and it took 2.5 years to get it all off again, and I ended up at about a small size 4. Now I've got a 21 month old, and I'm at a size 12. On the way down, should be there by.. 2 1/2 again. No biggie, it's what I do, apparently. Very hard work, though, and it takes so long because of all the set-backs. Anyway, here are the sort of things I hear:

[Warning my mom is a mean person]

Days after I had first daughter, we had to go from the maternity ward to Children's Hospital as dd was sick. I finally go to food court for my first meal, literally, since having the baby. This was day 4 or 5, and I'd only had *crackers* that Children's had given me. I order a ham and cheese sandwich. My mom is with me and says "You should just get a salad. Your husband is going to leave you if you stay fat like that, and who could blame him." (my baby was ok within a week, some kind of viral infection)

Day after my son was born, my mom comes to birth center to visit us. He is sick (what is it with me and sick babies!) and we're stuck there for 5 nights. I'm looking pretty beat, having, like, had a natural childbirth and now a sick baby. My mom says "let me take a photo of you, it would make a great "before" picture."

The whole time I was losing weight the first time, it came off pretty rapidly that time. I was on WW, and it was just a different time for me, so it came off about 10 lbs per month for the first 6 months! I didn't keep it a secret what I was doing, which seemed to invite a LOT of people to comment. Everyone: "Be careful not to lose too much." REALLY? It's that easy I'm going to just waste away?? I swear this was only from people who think that if *I* did something, it must be easy. That is a super unsupportive thing to say, and it's inconsiderate. It take amazing work to get fit, to lose 50+ especially. I should know, I ended up losing 100.

This past Christmas, my horrible In-Laws were here, and MIL pats my belly when I'm least expecting it, and says "I heard you are pregnant." No, she didn't hear that. (Husband had vasectomy, and I wish he'd tell everyone so they'd stop asking us if I'm pregnant). I told her later "I'm not pregnant, and I'm definitely not going to be ever again." And she said as she was leaving "I know you're keeping it a secret, I am onto you!" Wink wink, hee hee. I could have choked her!

Also this past Christmas --by the way I am a size 12 currently. I have worked out nearly every say since my baby started sleeping, at the tender age of 14 months!, which was last Spring. So for nearly a year I have worked out daily. Burning an average of 250-300 per day. So.. I have changed a lot. From a 16 to a 12, and more healthy looking. But anyway, no one noticed it, and my mom was opening gifts with us and says, randomly, to my husband who always looks the same (You look like YOU have lost weight! What's your secret?!) He has done nothing. He has like Chipotle every lunch and never works out. He looks ok, but he's not different, doesn't try. There was an awkward silence because everyone but her knew I was working out and changing, just slowly. I don't know why I have her over! But my dad is even worse and I've got to have someone from my side or else it's all in-laws, and there aren't strong enough pills to get me through *them*.

I think that's all I can remember for now. I can't wait to get to a size 8 so people will start begging me not to go all anorexic. sigh.
  • godot77
    godot77 Posts: 24
    Options
    This thread has given me all kinds of ideas.... like if anyone ever said I was pregnant and rubbed my belly, I would just start rubbing theirs right back. Or if they asked when I was due I'd say 2017, how about you? And next time someone says I don't need to lose weight I'll whip out my belly pudge for all to see and make them feel awkward.

I had someone rub my belly when I was 6 months along (looking full term!) (what, I make 10 lb babies) (not gestational diabetes either) and asked when I was due. I said "I'm not pregnant."

heh.
    Another time I said "I am 1 month along." hahahaah my husband was mortified.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

LOL- when the woman who stook her hand out and touched my belly asked when I was due, I said something along the lines of "Um, I'm not pregnant. That's just fat." People always feel bad after asking....but so did I.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I was at the doctor a few days ago for a pre-employment physical. When weighing me the nurse exclaimed, "Wow, honey, you hide this well!"

I ALWAYS got that at the doctor, even as a kid...but definitely as an adult. Every. Single. Time. Even if I was being weighed for some odd purpose, the person in charge would *have to* comment on that and it was always awkward. Almost like they were saying I was getting away with being even fatter than I looked? Wah..

My ex husband used to tell me that I would be too top-heavy if I lost weight. I secretly laugh that I've lost over 100 lb and still wear the same cup size and just two band sizes down. Screw you, dude.