White Wheat Bread ?

12346»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Consider looking for some dissenting opinions online.

Getting your info from sources with the same agenda is foolhardy.
    Well that's YOUR opinion now, isn't it? Anyway, I'm done with this conversation - if you call it that. Have a nice life. :)

Actually, that's not opinion, that's having basic critical thinking skills. If you're only ready articles that already agree with your point of view then you will have a confirmation bias. That's being pretty closed minded in not looking into other possibilities before taking something as fact. You're not using your thinking cap very well on this one :wink:

I didn't have that point of view until I watched the documentary, thank you very much and me being closed minded, you guys aren't even considering that wheat may be a serious cause of obesity in the world, so don't go on about me being closed minded.

you assume that because someone doesn't agree with an idea, that they haven't considered it. Sometimes that's the case, but other times it's that they *have* considered it, and found it to be *incorrect*

consider this: people have been eating wheat since the stone age. Stone age people did not have an obesity problem. During the neolithic era in some parts of the world, people ate wheat in huge quantities, because they'd learned how to cultivate it. They were not obese either. Go through all of world history, and you'll find people who eat lots of wheat *but they're not fat* - selective breeding of grains that are easy to grow and harvest started in the neolithic era. And throughout history, people have eaten lots of wheat, but there was very little obesity (King Henry VIII was obese, but hey, he had people to bring him food, he didn't have to exert himself to get it...). Only in the last few decades has obesity been a widespread problem, but wheat wasn't invented a few decades ago, it has been cultivated and selectively bread for millenia. So what's changed in the past few decades? a) Have people become more sedentary? b) Has food become more easily available? c) Or have people suddenly started eating wheat? d) Or did someone invent a totally new kind of wheat that didn't exist before? the answers are a) yes, b) yes, c) no, c) no. So you can't blame the modern obesity epidemic on wheat. It's only a contributing factor in that people eat too much of it and it's calorie dense so easy to eat too much of, and if you're sedentary, it's a lot easier to overeat because you need that much less food to begin with. But it's no different to any other calorie dense food in that respect.

I hope you can see that people are not being closed minded just because they don't come to the same conclusions as you do. Also, while I appreciate that it's a nice idea that people got fat because of (add any demonised food here) and the cure to the world's obesity is simply to give up that food, it's not actually correct. Obesity is the result of eating more calories than you burn off, and in the modern world with lots of things like cars that make people more sedentary, and freely available easily obtainable food, it makes it really really really easy to accidentally eat more than you burn off. Ergo obesity epidemic.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    So. She flounced. Can we talk bread now? Has anyone done cinnamon raisin bread in bread pudding? How was it? Also accepting cinnamon bread recipes.

Late to the party - wheat kills, blah blah- but did you get an answer to this question? I want some of that pudding
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Consider looking for some dissenting opinions online.

Getting your info from sources with the same agenda is foolhardy.
    Well that's YOUR opinion now, isn't it? Anyway, I'm done with this conversation - if you call it that. Have a nice life. :)

Actually, that's not opinion, that's having basic critical thinking skills. If you're only ready articles that already agree with your point of view then you will have a confirmation bias. That's being pretty closed minded in not looking into other possibilities before taking something as fact. You're not using your thinking cap very well on this one :wink:

I didn't have that point of view until I watched the documentary, thank you very much and me being closed minded, you guys aren't even considering that wheat may be a serious cause of obesity in the world, so don't go on about me being closed minded.

So, you watched a 'documentary' which is going to be biased towards the view they want to promote, and that led to you totally demonize a food :huh: Did you not do any further research to see if any of it was actually true?

I've read Wheat Belly, watched several of Dr. Davis's interviews, spent hours on his site/forum and I've also read Grain Brain etc etc. But I also looked at all of critically, did further research and when you get into it, their premises falls apart. Wheat does not cause obesity, overeating above your maintenance calories does. Wheat does not cause health problems, unless you're sensitive to gluten, same as anything else. Wheat is perfectly fine to eat, during weight loss and also for maintenance. I'm not closed minded-I used critical thinking to evaluate the information available.