Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

As a mother of a son allergic to peanuts, yes I DO and did complain about peanut free lunch rules. My son knows not to stick his hand in other peoples lunch boxes. And my daughter shouldnt be limited by my sons allergies.

YOU havebthe allergy, its YOUR reaponsibility to cope and figure out alternatives, not everybody elses

DjinnMarie, I think I :heart: you.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Damnz, how 'bout you mind your own business and just focus on your workout? Gees.

^this!!!

I wonder why some people feel the need to have others cater to their needs. You don't like it, move to another machine. Some women go to the gym straight from work, get a grip.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Excuse the typos, im mobile.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

:laugh: so i see you're not allergic to straw at least

dear op and the rest, might i suggest you wear one of these when you go to the PUBLIC gym?

HealthPhoto2Apr09.jpg

i cant wait for the inevitable posts about feeling intimidated about women who wear workout ensembles to the gym instead of any old thing.

@djinn :drinker: just found out first hand that one of my favorite mascaras (diorshow) comes in a waterproof version. now i dont have to waste time before my workouts taking it off to avoid sweat +mascara eye sting
  • __freckles__
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Damnz, how 'bout you mind your own business and just focus on your workout? Gees.

^this!!!

I wonder why some people feel the need to have others cater to their needs. You don't like it, move to another machine. Some women go to the gym straight from work, get a grip.

How about there be a ban for people that are worried about what other people are doing at the gym more than focusing on ... oh, I don't know...WORKING OUT!!! :laugh:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    While we ban makeup, perfume, let's throw in there jewelry. The suns bounces off their diamonds and blinds me. And let's ban sparkly lotion, the flecks of glitter, distracts me, causing me to fly off the treadmill.

ETA: I'm being sarcastic! Or overly dramatic. :wink:
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with looking cute while working out.

I keep my makeup on that I wore during the day while I work out and then take a shower after.

Whether girls wear make-up or not doesn't physically affect you in the slightest. Not understanding the point of being snarky of fellow females over that?

And I've seen gorgeous girls with make-up that kill it in the gym. Your point lacks substance. They're not all wimpy airheads, you know.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

^this!!!

i'd wager a bet that eventually for some it ends up being as an excuse for "why i stopped working out and gave up on my weight loss goals"
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I must have been extraordinarily lucky because the local YMCA and the military gym I go to don't have people wearing excessive perfume, jewelry or makeup. The last two, I wouldn't even notice. The perfume smell I can understand as a concern, but makeup or jewelry? Really? I'm also too busy to notice if other women are wearing jewelry or makeup. I don't even care if they do. No skin off my nose.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

^this!!!

i'd wager a bet that eventually for some it ends up being as an excuse for "why i stopped working out and gave up on my weight loss goals"

Well, I was going for 17% bf. But this one girl who has the same gym schedule as me, she wears vera wang princess perfume, which is aaaaawful and she washes her hair with herbal essance. So I stopped working out all together. I tried running a few miles inmy.neighborhood, but my indian neighbor is always cooking with curry, which gives me headaches
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Its very irritating to people like me with asthma, and it doesn't make you smell any better when it mixes with your sweat.

Thank you.

You gotta admit, this is a pretty silly request. Nobody is going to think to themselves, "Hmmmm...I guess I should *not* wear my perfume today. Cuz you never know, when I get to the gym, that one girl might be there. You know the one that I magically know has asthma. Yeah and it will irritate her. Nope, nope, can't do that!" ::Throws perfume bottle in trash::

Riiiight.
  • aura82
    aura82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe people who are sensitive to perfume should exercise at the least busy part of the day. You cant control other behavior, you can control your own.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i wear my victorias secret body spray to the gym, because i spray myself in the morning when im getting ready... i smell GOOD!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Ridiculous. When I was a gym-goer I would go after work specifically so that I didn't have to shower at the gym and lug all my junk around. Work-gym-home. No way would I remove my makeup and perfume before gymming it. My makeup stays on perfectly because I use waterproof mascara and liquid liner. Plus I already look terrible enough working out (I am one of those ridiculously embarrassingly red people, also I'm fat so ''normal' gym clothes don't fit me/look terrible so I dress like a dag) that I didn't need to add another level of hideousness to that.
    Honestly. If one particular member is marinating in their perfume before hitting the gym then perhaps have a word to a staff member and they can request that she tone it down. Aside from that, if it's regular people being normal, well, you'll just have to deal with it.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, you would hate me. Not because I wear perfume to the gym, but I wear Soapwalla Deodorant Cream because I have some issues with cysts caused by regular deodorants. It contains essential oils, including lavender, tea tree, sweet orange, peppermint, and bergamot, so it's quite scented. Should your asthma, which is readily treatable (I know, because I have it as well), trump my issues which cause physical pain, and affect my everyday life and job if I use other deodorants?
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

^this!!!

Well, I was going for 17% bf. But this one girl who has the same gym schedule as me, she wears vera wang princess perfume, which is aaaaawful and she washes her hair with herbal essance. So I stopped working out all together. I tried running a few miles inmy.neighborhood, but my indian neighbor is always cooking with curry, which gives me headaches

perhaps we can entice you back to the gym with this fragrance

o.17154.jpg

or this

chocolate-chip-cookie-cologne.jpg
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    On the rare occsion I have make up or perfume on at the gym it's because I've gone their from work NOT because I'm some bint who puts it on to exercise. Either way though it's not your business. I don't like people who chew gum with their gobs open but hey ho.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I LOVE when people wear a pretty scent to the gym.
    Even a scent that doesn't appeal to me is cool. I see it as, hey you like that and want to smell good. Good job.
    one time I worked out next to a woman who was wearing some vanilla amber combo.
    I had to work on not being creepy because it was lovely.
    Maybe if you have allergies so severe you can't tolerate other human's preferences. (do you have a job? some of those folks wear cologne or perfume I'm sure? go to the store? it's gonna happen)
    Idk Get a face mask or something
    It's not them it's you.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting-ish conversation. I am one of those people who has something of a chemical sensitivity. I can't shop at a bath and body works because being inside one causes a horrible headache and the urge to vomit from the overwhelming smells. I also can't venture inside an Abercrombie and Fitch (not that they would let me) because of the intense fragrance they use inside their store (at least the one here in my town). Sadly, once the headache starts, it doesn't go away just because the smell goes away. It can last the better part of a day. The urge to vomit passes pretty quick though. Having said all of that, I do not think it is realistic or fair to expect everyone to go scent free just to make me happy. (shocking I know). I would love it however, if more people were just a little more considerate in their daily routine (voluntarily) and maybe didn't spray a bunch on right before they went into the gym. That wouldn't just be nice for me, it would also be nice for other people who don't want to smell whatever rank l'eau de crap they happen to fancy that week...or their really nice perfume either. I guess my point is just that we can choose to be nice and considerate without having to turn it into a law right?
    As an aside... I don't think most people are aware of how many chemical fragrances they usually have on. I mean there's the scent of the shampoo and conditioner, plus any other hair products, the cosmetics have fragrances, the lotion has it's own fragrance, your clothes are fragranced by the washing detergent and then the fabric softener, then there's your deodorant, your mouthwash, the list is realllllly long...and all of those products have conflicting and competing smells....it's pretty intense.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i got stuck down wind (power floor fan was on) from a guy who 1) obviously does not use deoderant 2) obviously does not brush his teeth daily, and 3) obviously ate some crazy *kitten* mexican food the night prior, as he huffed and puffed and slang his naturally scented sweat side to side while on the elliptical... i could only hope and pray that he would pull a bottle of axe or full body douche out of his fanny pack that he was sporting, and dump it on himself... that would have been nice. for me.