Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Why do people think other people should change in order to accommodate their needs? Needs that are in the minority I might add.

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SMELL GOOD EVER because it MIGHT upset someone. If you have such a problem with it, find a new place to work out, work out outdoors, work out at home, or *SHOCKER* tell that specific person in the moment and stop posting passive aggressive things on the web or shooting passive aggressive looks like a child.

I don't wear perfume for the gym, but it's so petty and self important to think everyone needs to cater to what you want and what bothers you. In that case, I LOVE smelling perfume and therefore everyone who doesn't spray my favorite Dolce and Gabana scent to the gym should just stop going to the gym, amiright? So stupid.

Also, to the same self important, righteous dolts complaining about make up wearers to the gym: How does THEIR wearing make up impact you in any way? Oh wait...it DOESN'T?!? You mean you're just finding a reason to be upset with someone probably out of a need to feel right or superior? Mary Jane down the way at the elliptical with eyeliner on is going to somehow make my gym experience intolerable?!?!?!

Grow. The. EFF. Up.

I wear make up to the gym because I go right after work. I cleanse off my skin with a pad and leave my beautiful eye make up on 100% of the time. If that and my 8 hour old perfume bother you so much, then you have thin thin skin and may want to evaluate your life priorities should something SO MINOR make you SO ANGRY.

You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about. Someones perfume at a strong amount mixed with someones asthma, depending on how bad they have it, can send them to the hospital. It seems pretty childish to me that the need to smell good while going to a place where you should be getting nasty and sweety is more important than someones health.

And she didn't say everywhere. She said the gym. Where she's already working her self in a way that can cause breathing issues.

The whole make up thing is redic - that effects NO ONE so no one should have an issue with it. BUT to have an issue with someone that medically can send you to the hospital is COMPLETELY reasonable.
  • Relle3
    Relle3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hahahahah lol in my defense I go to the gym right after work I don't even go home first. lol
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

As a mother of a son allergic to peanuts, yes I DO and did complain about peanut free lunch rules. My son knows not to stick his hand in other peoples lunch boxes. And my daughter shouldnt be limited by my sons allergies.

YOU have the allergy, its YOUR responsibility to cope and figure out alternatives, not everybody elses

^^^^ This
    tired of self entitled know-it-alls!
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Really now...because I workout on weights...I don't have sweat streaming down my face when I work out...

Ah now I see "taking up machines" that explains your comment.

Note to self : continue to avoid the "machines" in the gym the women there are nasty. Hangry perhaps.

LOL at this. I wear makeup to the gym :smile: My mascara has never run either? it's Benefit Bad Gal btw. My makeup has never affected my squats, deadlifts, etc, why does it matter to anyone? And I don't understand why there's "no need" to look cute while taking up machines....

No, I don't wear perfume though.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    what if you go after work should we take showers first?

OR maybe if you need to be a breathing bubble you should just work out in a bubble, too? :wink:

If you go to the gym after work I don't think perfume/cologne would be an issue because it seems it would wear off a bit after a few hours.

What bothers me is when people will put it on just before they go to the gym (those male body sprays are the worst :sick: )

The wellness center I go to has a lot of senior citizens and some use the place as a singles hang out lol :wink:
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I can relate to being sensitive to overly perfumed people at the gym. Its not that I care how you come to the gym (ie. w/make up or w/out, in your cutest outfit or your most comfy ripped up garb), its because it irritates my asthma. Now the person who goes after work and has put on perfume in the morning isn't going to bother me, or someone who has great shampoo, but the one who tries to compensate for how they may actually smell like a normal sweaty person working out - by dousing theirself with half a bottle of perfume is! Lets not pretend like we don't kow the difference. People need to be considerate of others - not asking for a life altering behavior change - just a little consideration.

Exactly
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/beauty/makeup/20100512/does-perfume-have-hidden-health-risks

"The tests revealed that 38 ''secret'' chemicals were in the 17 name-brand products, with an average of 14 chemicals per product. American Eagle Seventy Seven had the most unlisted ingredients, with 24; Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue had the least, with seven.

When they looked closer, Houlihan and colleagues found an average of 10 chemicals linked with allergic reactions such as headaches, wheezing, or asthma. The researchers found 12 different chemicals they describe as potentially hormone-disrupting, such as benzyl benzoate, diethyl phthalate, and tonalide."

HORMONE DISRUPTING.

I'm going to put a vote in for fragrance free, including deodorant.

Oh noo!!?!!%! How have we managed to get by all these years?!!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

As a mother of a son allergic to peanuts, yes I DO and did complain about peanut free lunch rules. My son knows not to stick his hand in other peoples lunch boxes. And my daughter shouldnt be limited by my sons allergies.

YOU have the allergy, its YOUR responsibility to cope and figure out alternatives, not everybody elses

I like you. I go at the end of the day. You don't like my perfume or makeup, tough.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I can relate somewhat. I don't have allergies, but strong perfumes/lotions etc do tend to give me headaches. It's actually true for most strong scents. If you're a smoker or just really like your body spray, I'd prefer not to be able to taste you from 10 feet away.

Obviously I can't force my preferences on other people (with the exception of one co-worker who everyone agreed seemed to bath in cat urine), and I'd never go up to a stranger and say "Hey you stink" but I do wish people would embrace a more subtle olfactory existence. Until that happens I'll just smile and hold my breath until the elevator opens...or until another machine at the gym opens up.

And really, when the zombie apocalypse happens, wearing a strong scent isn't going to do you any favors.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Uh.... no. Just no. Either get your own gym or deal with it. I am not going to change everything in my medicine cabinet because you are "sensitive" to scented items. And guess what, neither will the rest of the world.

Im highly allergic to entitled whiners. But I dont expect or assume they are gong to change just for me.

If this seems to overly rustle my jimmies, its because my sons 2nd grade teacher had a sign on her door that labeled her classroom as "scent free". And we were to refrain from using scented laundry supplies on our child's clothes, no scented hairspray or gel, and for conferences, she would cancel them if we were "scented". Because it gives her headaches.

If you are actually allergic, as in you may have a medical emergency if you encounter scented products, apply for disability and stay home. Otherwise, do what the rest of us do when other people's actions make us uncomfortable, either leave or call the *kitten* out on his excessive axe body spray usage.

This is the stuff I think but never say!
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    I have a phobia of smelling bad, and bad smells in general and unfortunately I go to the gym after work, so I really couldn't deal with a no scent zone.

Why does nobody think about me and start wearing deodorant?

Really its personal choice, and if I can't make people wear deordorant, therefore nobody can stop me using perfume/deodorant/nice shampoos/ scented washing powder.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.
    NO.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Uh.... no. Just no. Either get your own gym or deal with it. I am not going to change everything in my medicine cabinet because you are "sensitive" to scented items. And guess what, neither will the rest of the world.

Im highly allergic to entitled whiners. But I dont expect or assume they are gong to change just for me.

If this seems to overly rustle my jimmies, its because my sons 2nd grade teacher had a sign on her door that labeled her classroom as "scent free". And we were to refrain from using scented laundry supplies on our child's clothes, no scented hairspray or gel, and for conferences, she would cancel them if we were "scented". Because it gives her headaches.

If you are actually allergic, as in you may have a medical emergency if you encounter scented products, apply for disability and stay home. Otherwise, do what the rest of us do when other people's actions make us uncomfortable, either leave or call the *kitten* out on his excessive axe body spray usage

"excessive axe body spray usage"

:noway: :sick: :grumble:

(ugh...apparently I have forgotten how to post....I will walk away now)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

The air must be thinner up there on your high horse.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I have a phobia of smelling bad, and bad smells in general and unfortunately I go to the gym after work, so I really couldn't deal with a no scent zone.

Why does nobody think about me and start wearing deodorant?

Really its personal choice, and if I can't make people wear deordorant, therefore nobody can stop me using perfume/deodorant/nice shampoos/ scented washing powder.

rofl......they did.....it's called Planet Fitness :laugh:
  • Modern_Warrior
    Options
    Frankly, I prefer to leave people alone. Were a ton of perfume or not. Wear makeup. I just don't care. Time for me to hit the gym. G'night.
  • mrsdean4
    mrsdean4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

If you are actually allergic, as in you may have a medical emergency if you encounter scented products, apply for disability and stay home. Otherwise, do what the rest of us do when other people's actions make us uncomfortable, either leave or call the *kitten* out on his excessive axe body spray usage.

AMEN! The gym isn't for everyone. If we start changing everyone else for the sake of the few, we start getting ridiculous pretty quick. So, we should make everyone else leave the weight room because someone has social phobia and needs to work out alone?

And I understand what the teacher is going through. I have the same issue with certain scents. It isn't a debilitating issue, folks! It's just a head ache. If you have true asthma that is triggered by scents, then perhaps you and your physician should discuss some real world alternatives for you.
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If it really is that bad for you, you think you need to throw out a PSA, then invest in your own gym so you don't have to deal with the general public but until that time, deal with it as the general public deals with you and your nuances you bring.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I disagree.

I'm all for nice smelling, attractive peeps
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/beauty/makeup/20100512/does-perfume-have-hidden-health-risks

"The tests revealed that 38 ''secret'' chemicals were in the 17 name-brand products, with an average of 14 chemicals per product. American Eagle Seventy Seven had the most unlisted ingredients, with 24; Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue had the least, with seven.

When they looked closer, Houlihan and colleagues found an average of 10 chemicals linked with allergic reactions such as headaches, wheezing, or asthma. The researchers found 12 different chemicals they describe as potentially hormone-disrupting, such as benzyl benzoate, diethyl phthalate, and tonalide."

HORMONE DISRUPTING.

I'm going to put a vote in for fragrance free, including deodorant.

Oh noo!!?!!%! How have we managed to get by all these years?!!

tumblr_inline_mzbloaqD221rbu2cc.gif