Replies

• VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    :huh: .... Really? ....
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Just because YOU have issues looking like *kitten* because you don't know how to put your make up on- doesn't mean I have to. And just because you think make up = not working hard doesn't mean it's the case. I would challenge any girl who says that to come work out with me and then tell me I'm taking up space in my make up.

Enjoy your workout, enjoy your makeup, whatever floats your boat (unless your mascara is made from human blood, or something)...but no makeup =/= looking like *kitten*! (I hope not, anyway, or else I've been looking like **** 99% of the time :laugh: )

i think her point was that makeup running everywhere looks like *kitten*, and that if your make up is running, you're wearing it wrong. but I could be mistaken.

Oh, haha, that makes a lot more sense!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I haven't showered since 1995, so I'm safe.

*phew*
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I haven't showered since 1995, so I'm safe.

*p-u*

Fixed that for you :wink:

Honestly. If someone stinks, just move away from them. If you're trapped in an elevator with them, hold your breath or breathe really shallowly. Unless it's going to knock you out literally, just deal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OK so its agreed. everyone shower before hitting the floor for your workout

And this policy would end the "wearing makeup while working out" complaints too.

ETA:
    LOLtiming
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

*sigh*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Just because YOU have issues looking like *kitten* because you don't know how to put your make up on- doesn't mean I have to. And just because you think make up = not working hard doesn't mean it's the case. I would challenge any girl who says that to come work out with me and then tell me I'm taking up space in my make up.

Enjoy your workout, enjoy your makeup, whatever floats your boat (unless your mascara is made from human blood, or something)...but no makeup =/= looking like *kitten*! (I hope not, anyway, or else I've been looking like **** 99% of the time :laugh: )

i think her point was that makeup running everywhere looks like *kitten*, and that if your make up is running, you're wearing it wrong. but I could be mistaken.

that actually wasn't my entire point- although yes- that was part of my point. I wear make up all the time. eveywhere- eye make up- I do BB cream when I feel motivated- I only wear full fake make up for extremely important meetings- big expensive dates or gigs (and mostly- that means gigs- several times a month).

1.) if your make up is running everwhere- yer doing it wrong.

2.) it doesn't matter if I chose to wear a bananan hammock to the gym and mardi gras make up- it doesn't affect you as long as I'm not sharing benches and or dont' wipe it down.

3.) most people who complain about women at the gym wearing make up- look ridiculous themselves and apparently have no self esteem to be bothered to clean up before they leave the house- over sized ripped up slappy *kitten* stained- gardening sweats. good for you- you are happy- living the dream. You still look like *kitten*. and no- no make up doesn't always mean looking like *kitten*- but some attention to your personal appearence isn't wrong.

I'm all about wearing comfortable clothing- but they should fit- and not look like they are your grease monkey clothing- and often times that's what happens. There are loads of acceptable clothign that fall somewhere in the middle between "i'm clearly dressed so people stare at my *kitten*" and "well these are what I had- so I'm going to wear them- even though it looks like I rolled around at pep boys for 20 min before I came here"

yes it's the gym- we are here to work- but that doesn't mean "give up" like mom's who say that "I had kids- so I gave up" you gave up what? putting on pants? I was unaware that clean well fitted pants were more difficult to put on thatn sweats- oh that difficult zipper and button at the top!!! how you defeat me daily!!!!!

ultimately haters going to hate. whatever- if you can't workout without sweating your face off- that's fine- but don't rag on me because I happen to look good. that's what's ignorant and annoying.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    Why do people think other people should change in order to accommodate their needs? Needs that are in the minority I might add.

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SMELL GOOD EVER because it MIGHT upset someone. If you have such a problem with it, find a new place to work out, work out outdoors, work out at home, or *SHOCKER* tell that specific person in the moment and stop posting passive aggressive things on the web or shooting passive aggressive looks like a child.

I don't wear perfume for the gym, but it's so petty and self important to think everyone needs to cater to what you want and what bothers you. In that case, I LOVE smelling perfume and therefore everyone who doesn't spray my favorite Dolce and Gabana scent to the gym should just stop going to the gym, amiright? So stupid.

Also, to the same self important, righteous dolts complaining about make up wearers to the gym: How does THEIR wearing make up impact you in any way? Oh wait...it DOESN'T?!? You mean you're just finding a reason to be upset with someone probably out of a need to feel right or superior? Mary Jane down the way at the elliptical with eyeliner on is going to somehow make my gym experience intolerable?!?!?!

Grow. The. EFF. Up.

I wear make up to the gym because I go right after work. I cleanse off my skin with a pad and leave my beautiful eye make up on 100% of the time. If that and my 8 hour old perfume bother you so much, then you have thin thin skin and may want to evaluate your life priorities should something SO MINOR make you SO ANGRY.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people wear to the gym. I actually would love to wear makeup to the gym. I would love to wear cute clothes to the gym.

I don't because I'm simply not confident enough to do so. I have been slowly but surely buying nicer and nicer gym outfits and trying more to look like a normal human. I also don't like my job so I rarely "get ready" for work.

I also don't really notice the other people at the gym unless it is someone being extremely odd or obnoxious... like the guy who wears sunglasses at night in the gym, talks boisterously, laughs loud, slams weights EVERY rep, and talks more than he lifts. Most people, I might recognize their faces from routines but couldn't tell you what anyone was wearing.

I also have a terrible sense of smell. Just don't bring Taco Bell and put it on my treadmill because I'll probably eat it in 2 seconds flat and then chase you down for bringing deliciousness into the gym.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I have asthma too and it bothers me SO much.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i will take perfume smell over stinky smell any given day! For that matter, now that i think about it, i have neither smelt any perfume/stink , nor have i observed anybody wearing make up and i go to Y, so there are tons of people working out there!
    I must be either doing something very right or very wrong...very confused :embarassed:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

As a mother of a son allergic to peanuts, yes I DO and did complain about peanut free lunch rules. My son knows not to stick his hand in other peoples lunch boxes. And my daughter shouldnt be limited by my sons allergies.

YOU havebthe allergy, its YOUR reaponsibility to cope and figure out alternatives, not everybody elses

Well said.

Agreed.
  • M5jdu009
    M5jdu009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Again, this is where education is important. Peanut induced Anaphylactic shock, and death, is extremely rare. Most kids who are allergic to peanuts simply get hives. The very few, (less than one half of one percent) who have extreme reactions have epi pens. And if they are that allergic, it is even MORE important for them to be exposed to daily routine that includes peanuts. You are doing that child no favors by sheltering her. You are doing more harm than good.

Some allergies are cumulative. One exposure can mean hives, and the next can be an anaphylactic reaction - and you can never predict how many exposures it will take to get to be that point. Giving a child an epipen shot, or receiving one from the child's perspective, is (a) not guaranteed to save the child's life and (b) a really scary experience that it is not necessary for that child to ever have to have. It is not ever important or intelligent to expose an allergic child to an allergen. If you mean to say that peanut allergic children need to know how to protect themselves, I agree. I also think that the rest of us can take an important role in keeping them safe. Children aren't always equipped to protect themselves even when they've been told a million times that something will hurt them.

I don't shelter my non-peanut allergic children. I emphasize to my children that we need to be conscious and courteous to other people and do our best to keep other people safe too. I am not doing any harm to my daughter by teaching her that sometimes you have to put a "want" for yourself (like a peanut butter sandwich) aside for the "need" of another human being (i.e. not having an allergic reaction at school). Again, my children, thankfully, do not have food allergies.

I can't agree more. My fiance (a teacher at an elementary school) has a severe allergy to peanuts--to the point where his throat swells if he even smells it on someone's breath. Should our kids lose a great teacher in favor of a pb&j? Again, it's just a matter of being courteous. I know he's grown and can take care of himself, but he can't control what others do. He has asked parents to be mindful of this when sending treats to class, but that doesn't mean people always listen.

All I know is that I've learned to refrain from giving out anything with peanut butter. It's just too risky, and some kids don't know they're allergic, or don't tell you til your room smells like a PB cup. (I'm a teacher too, and last week learned that I have a student with a marshmallow allergy--the science class next door was doing an experiment and the girl had to go to my room because she broke out in hives as soon as the bag was opened). I think if everyone is mindful of each other, and can be respectful of other's medical intolerances (because do you really think anyone wants a nut allergy? lol), life is a lot easier for all parties involved.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Wait...waterproof Diorshow? Be still, my heart.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    Lol, my gym is inundated with seniors (Wellness Center) and there is so much "grandma" perfume in the air. Good thing we have good ventilation (mandatory) in our gym area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

have some peanut butter with that jelly

if you can afford it :wink:

hahahahahaha
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    Its very irritating to people like me with asthma, and it doesn't make you smell any better when it mixes with your sweat.

Thank you.
    You probably should go and see a therapist...
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/beauty/makeup/20100512/does-perfume-have-hidden-health-risks

"The tests revealed that 38 ''secret'' chemicals were in the 17 name-brand products, with an average of 14 chemicals per product. American Eagle Seventy Seven had the most unlisted ingredients, with 24; Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue had the least, with seven.

When they looked closer, Houlihan and colleagues found an average of 10 chemicals linked with allergic reactions such as headaches, wheezing, or asthma. The researchers found 12 different chemicals they describe as potentially hormone-disrupting, such as benzyl benzoate, diethyl phthalate, and tonalide."

HORMONE DISRUPTING.

I'm going to put a vote in for fragrance free, including deodorant.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

That's pretty well exactly what I was going to say. I'm one of those annoying "scent sensitive" people and believe me, if I could help it I would. Certain smells give me an instant headache, and/or make me feel like I'm going to vomit, and it lasts for like an hour after I'm away from the offending smell sometimes. Why should I have to feel like that because someone wants to bathe in perfume? The peanut analogy is always the first thing I think about when people act like I'm ruining their lives because I don't want to feel like I'm dying all day at work or wherever.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    what if you go after work should we take showers first?

OR maybe if you need to be a breathing bubble you should just work out in a bubble, too? :wink:

If you still smell of strong perfume after an 8 hour shift I feel really bad for your coworkers.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've never put on deodorant or perfume before the gym. Your going to get sweaty and nasty anyway, I think that at your armpits don't smell isn't really much of a saving grace. IMO, you still stink except now instead of smelling like old shoes, you smell like old shoes and vanilla!

I don't get the hate with makeup though. I don't wear makeup to exercise myself but if someone else wants too, who am I to judge? That his/her prerogative and it's not my place to dictate how other people should or should not look. I think the people who seem so angry about it probably aren't doing so well in the self esteem department.