Do you leave your kids alone in the car?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Only when they are my DD.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Both Factors are dangerous - Strangers and Dangers of a car. Period. Kids think they "know everything" and they don't. Period.

I agree about considering both factors... it just worries me that somewhere, one day, a very sensible, obedient 8 year old will stay in the car because mummy told her to, even when the car's on fire or someone's just driven into it, and mummy's not back yet.
    That is not a sensible or intelligent 8-year-old and the parents failed that kid.

yes, the parents failed the kid. My whole point is that there are a lot of parents out there who only think about stranger danger, and not the other potential dangers. So I'm not sure what your point is re the parents failing the kid.... because that's exactly what my point is.... the parents failed the kid because they only considered stranger danger and not the other things that could potentially go wrong....
    My point is that if your kid is so afraid of disobeying you or is too stupid to realize that a car on fire is a danger to his or her life, you did something EXTREMELY WRONG as a parent and you have bigger issues than whether you leave your child alone in a car.

and what about the child that freezes in fear are they too stupid too.
    Who freezes in fear in front of a fire? Open door, step out.

Seriously, this is basic human instinct. You have heard of fight or flight, correct? This example is absurd on its face.

And, really, are cars randomly and spontaneously catching on fire regularly where you people live?
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Both Factors are dangerous - Strangers and Dangers of a car. Period. Kids think they "know everything" and they don't. Period.

I agree about considering both factors... it just worries me that somewhere, one day, a very sensible, obedient 8 year old will stay in the car because mummy told her to, even when the car's on fire or someone's just driven into it, and mummy's not back yet.
    That is not a sensible or intelligent 8-year-old and the parents failed that kid.

yes, the parents failed the kid. My whole point is that there are a lot of parents out there who only think about stranger danger, and not the other potential dangers. So I'm not sure what your point is re the parents failing the kid.... because that's exactly what my point is.... the parents failed the kid because they only considered stranger danger and not the other things that could potentially go wrong....
    My point is that if your kid is so afraid of disobeying you or is too stupid to realize that a car on fire is a danger to his or her life, you did something EXTREMELY WRONG as a parent and you have bigger issues than whether you leave your child alone in a car.

Seriously, this is basic human instinct. You have heard of fight or flight, correct? This example is absurd on its face.

And, really, are cars randomly and spontaneously catching on fire regularly where you people live?

Not agreeing with either side.

But some children do freeze under certain "fight or flight" situations. I saw perfectly intelligent 8 year old girl freeze where she stood while being attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets. It wasn't a parenting fail, the mother wasn't stupid, the daughter wasn't stupid. I personally knew both. The child just simply wouldn't move because she was so scared. And it's not the only instance I know of where the child froze out of fear.

ETA: However, as the mother of a child, you should know if they froze under such situations and should probably draw the conclusion that leaving them in such situations most likely isn't a good idea.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think where you live matters too...If I lived in a metropolitan area like Chicago, no way...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

But some children do freeze under certain "fight or flight" situations. I saw perfectly intelligent 8 year old girl freeze where she stood while being attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets. It wasn't a parenting fail, the mother wasn't stupid, the daughter wasn't stupid. I personally knew both. The child just simply wouldn't move because she was so scared. And it's not the only instance I know of where the child froze out of fear.

ETA: However, as the mother of a child, you should know if they froze under such situations and should probably draw the conclusion that leaving them in such situations most likely isn't a good idea.
    Running from bees and getting out of a car that's on fire are not the same. Not even comparable, especially since the usual advice about bees is to stay still. And I imagine she was in intense pain and didn't know what to do because bees, unlike a fire, will chase you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You aren't from Florida, are you? Florida is where all of the craziness happens.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway:

Check out the Orlando Sentinel for a week or two straight and then ask yourself if you'd leave your kid in the vehicle.

I think not!

LOL...check out the local paper of pretty much any metro area in the country.

As to the OP's question...no...I never have.
  • HaleyNorman1
    Options
    LMFAO!:smokin:
  • HaleyNorman1
    Options
    AHAHAHAHA!!! So Funny!:laugh: :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In my State you can leave them unattended for no more than 5 minutes and as long as you can see the car... ie, running into quicktrip (gas station) to give a few dollars to the clerk for gas... Do I leave her in the car by herself.. no not so much.. not even if I'm running in and out... why? Because I don't want some know it all that thinks I have been in the store for longer than it takes to pick up a gallon of milk and come back out to have my window smashed in... And for the majority of the year it's too hot or too cold anyway....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Running from bees and getting out of a car that's on fire are not the same. Not even comparable, especially since the usual advice about bees is to stay still. And I imagine she was in intense pain and didn't know what to do because bees, unlike a fire, will chase you.

Holy crap right fighter, children have been known to freeze in fear as have adults...

there is a term for it in physciatry it's called "The Freeze response" that is considered the "optimal survival" instinct ...it is hard wired and we have no control over it what so ever...

Ever heard the term "scared stiff" or "frozen in fear"...
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

To me, I find them comparable in the fact they are a reaction in a moment of fear, not that fire is the same as a yellow jacket.. I was simply pointing out that some children do "freeze" from fear. It had nothing to do with your/her fire instance and nothing really to do with my bee incident. I was just simply stating that while it would seem to be basic instinct to do certain things in certain situations, different people can react differently because of fear. And as I stated. I know the child personally and she has froze in almost every situation where she deemed fearful and not every situation was inflicting pain upon her as the yellow jackets where.

And I don't know who taught you to stand still while you are standing on a yellow jackets nest, but personally that sounds asinine to me. All yellow jackets that I have in encountered will attack until they're dead. I would have hated to see the outcome if an adult didn't go and pull her out of the yellow jacket swarm and instead followed your advice of just standing there. All things I have heard, and that make sense, is to calmly walk away. Of course, most people run flailing which could actually cause more damage...

Back to everyone arguing about what everyone should and should not do with their kids/teens/adult children....
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

[/quote

if only life was that easy and we all were exactly the same. kids get scared as do adults. they might not do what you expect them to do in certain circumstances. any way for me a pint of milk is not worth any type of risk for me. you cant back track when you make unnecessary risks. they are still looking for maddy after all these years. yes it wasnt in a car she was left but a hotel room. now every day they must say If only.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    In my State you can leave them unattended for no more than 5 minutes and as long as you can see the car... ie, running into quicktrip (gas station) to give a few dollars to the clerk for gas... Do I leave her in the car by herself.. no not so much.. not even if I'm running in and out... why? Because I don't want some know it all that thinks I have been in the store for longer than it takes to pick up a gallon of milk and come back out to have my window smashed in... And for the majority of the year it's too hot or too cold anyway....

I worry about that with my dog, I would NEVER leave him unattended for a long time, and particularly not in very hot or cold temperatures, but I have on occasion popped into a grocery store or wherever for a minute and left him in the car, windows partially down, and generally with his portable water bowl near him, but I always worry someone is going to freak out and think he's been in there for too long and smash out my car window lol.

I don't even disagree with doing this if a dog (or child) appears to be in peril, I'd absolutely do it myself if it was obviously needed, but some people are just dying to "save" an animal and I see over-enthusiastic posts on FB all the time to this effect, like people are just waiting for the opportunity to self-righteously destroy a car in the name of preventing animal cruelty lol whether it's actually needed or not.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Only if the car is a few feet from me and I have to remove heavy or unwieldy objects from that car and can't hold a toddler's hand while doing it.

If the car is out of my sight, then no. And never for more than a couple minutes. I wouldn't run into a store with my kids in the car.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    My 13 year old stays in the car all the time. If I pick her up from a school event and have to run to the grocery store she stays in the car with the door locked and reads. I too, have automatic start so I will leave it running for her but take the keys with me. You can't take the car out of gear or move it when it is in that mode...My 7 year old and 9month old..not a chance.

I had my BIL install a remote start like that on my car as well... Mostly because it gets hot as f*** in the summers and I worried about my DD getting too hot even though I had the AC on full blast.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

HOLY CRAP! What happened to the poor girl? That's awful!
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I worry about that with my dog, I would NEVER leave him unattended for a long time, and particularly not in very hot or cold temperatures, but I have on occasion popped into a grocery store or wherever for a minute and left him in the car, windows partially down, and generally with his portable water bowl near him, but I always worry someone is going to freak out and think he's been in there for too long and smash out my car window lol.

I don't even disagree with doing this if a dog (or child) appears to be in peril, I'd absolutely do it myself if it was obviously needed, but some people are just dying to "save" an animal and I see over-enthusiastic posts on FB all the time to this effect, like people are just waiting for the opportunity to self-righteously destroy a car in the name of preventing animal cruelty lol whether it's actually needed or not.

It's ridiculous the number of vigilants out there that are just begging to "save the day" so they can post it on facebook or twitter... It's one thing if the child or animal was clearly in distress.... two days ago I saw two dogs in a car unattended... the window was cracked and the outside ambient tempurature was in the mid 50's... the dogs were clearly not in distress... so I let them be.
  • Mistysbff
    Options
    no not for even a minute. Its a crazy world we live in. Their is just no way I could even chance it
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

It's ridiculous the number of vigilants out there that are just begging to "save the day" so they can post it on facebook or twitter... It's one thing if the child or animal was clearly in distress.... two days ago I saw two dogs in a car unattended... the window was cracked and the outside ambient tempurature was in the mid 50's... the dogs were clearly not in distress... so I let them be.

Exactly! If I've been out hiking with my dog or something and I have to stop at the store that's halfway between there and home, I'm not going to drive home, drop the dog off, and then drive back to the store to run in for a minute if there's no reason to. That said, if it's 40 degrees out (Celsius) I wouldn't leave him in a car with no a/c for longer than a minute, literally.

Sorry for the (slightly) off topic, but I don't have kids so this is my contribution to the conversation haha
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My brother and I got left in the car all the damn time, for quick "in and out" trips into stores and such (or dropping off post).

We survived. =/