Do you leave your kids alone in the car?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

HOLY CRAP! What happened to the poor girl? That's awful!

My aunt got her out of the nest and as soon as she got her into her garage, she stripped her down. She was clearly stung more times than we could count.

Even though she hasn't had any past allergic reactions to yellow jackets, due to the severity her mother took her to the ER. They gave her steroids and an antihistamine. You wouldn't have even known she was stung the next day.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Both Factors are dangerous - Strangers and Dangers of a car. Period. Kids think they "know everything" and they don't. Period.

I agree about considering both factors... it just worries me that somewhere, one day, a very sensible, obedient 8 year old will stay in the car because mummy told her to, even when the car's on fire or someone's just driven into it, and mummy's not back yet.
    That is not a sensible or intelligent 8-year-old and the parents failed that kid.

yes, the parents failed the kid. My whole point is that there are a lot of parents out there who only think about stranger danger, and not the other potential dangers. So I'm not sure what your point is re the parents failing the kid.... because that's exactly what my point is.... the parents failed the kid because they only considered stranger danger and not the other things that could potentially go wrong....
    My point is that if your kid is so afraid of disobeying you or is too stupid to realize that a car on fire is a danger to his or her life, you did something EXTREMELY WRONG as a parent and you have bigger issues than whether you leave your child alone in a car.

and what about the child that freezes in fear are they too stupid too.
    Who freezes in fear in front of a fire? Open door, step out.

Seriously, this is basic human instinct. You have heard of fight or flight, correct? This example is absurd on its face.

And, really, are cars randomly and spontaneously catching on fire regularly where you people live?

Kids do freeze in fear. We see it all the time in pedestrians hit by cars. Adults will turn away and have more injury patterns at back of the body. Kids freeze face on and have more injuries at the front of body. Well known phenomena based on international trauma statistics. Sorry it's away from original thread topic but there is a lot of evidence that children react differently to danger than adults not based on intelligence or parenting.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've had my son for a little over two weeks now and have not yet left him in the car
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    Yes I have left my kids in the car alone. Both are grown adults now, but seriously an 8 year old should be left alone for the time it takes to run in and pick up quick items. Lock the car, set the rules, and go.

I would not leave a baby alone in the car, but seriously talk to your kids, set some rules up, test them with friends you know and they do not, and go forward. Kids who are not allowed to make decisions grow into adults who cannot think on their own.

I like this reply,but it depends on how old they are. If they are older kids like 10 or 11 then ok,but under that no. The crazy thing is more crime is happening in homes people are breaking into homes taking children out their bedrooms rather than in the car in Tennessee.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you do that in Alberta Canada and someone reports you (and they do) the police come and charge you. Even if you leave before they make it there they go to your home and charge you.

Harsh yes, but effective.

Just out of curiosity, do they use an age guideline or is it any "child" under 18?

I would just find it kind of silly if they could charge for a "child" more than competent enough to drive the said vehicle they were left in.

Im really not sure of the guidelines but the ones I hear about on TV are kids under 6 ,except for one Mom that left her 8 year old when she went shopping in a mall....but it was -8 out and she was gone for quite a while. Heres the link.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1014455/mother-charged-after-leaving-child-alone-in-cold-vehicle/

Or google "child left in car Edmonton" and you will get lots of hits. The police say "a car is not a babysitter".

I have only heard of charges when the parent was away from the car and out of eyesight of the car. Some people were away from the car and had left the car running.

Im not judging, Im just adding information to the conversation.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've had my son for a little over two weeks now and have not yet left him in the car

Congratulations!

(On the birth not the not leaving him in the car)
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    Never! not even now and they're adults .. theyre chalk n cheese i cant leave them in the same room together.. theyd kill eachother but theyre best friends too ha
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

HOLY CRAP! What happened to the poor girl? That's awful!

My aunt got her out of the nest and as soon as she got her into her garage, she stripped her down. She was clearly stung more times than we could count.

Even though she hasn't had any past allergic reactions to yellow jackets, due to the severity her mother took her to the ER. They gave her steroids and an antihistamine. You wouldn't have even known she was stung the next day.

Wow...Glad to hear she was okay. Scary stuff!
  • jp619
    jp619 Posts: 20
    Options
    No, i'd leave them at home. Let the dog watch em...they're 19 and 17 now and almost never piss on the furniture.