not sure i can do it.....5k that is

Replies

• Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    can yall please just answer my question and stop telling me to do the things ive made clear arent going to happen. closest gym is over 30 miles one way. no babysitter to use

Do you have any advice for training while inside my house? thank you.

There is nothing you can do inside to truly train for a running/road race without a treadmill, or maybe (but not really) an elliptical. You want answers but your requirements don't allow for realistic answers. Technically, you only need to carve out 30 minutes, 3 days a week. If it is really that impossible then maybe running isn't in the cards for you.

So, no, other than wanting it and making it happen, I have no other advice. If you wanted to achieve this goal you'd find a way to make it a possibility.
    Agree.....
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    running:

required - heart, ability to breath, and legs.

running 5K

required ability to walk/run 3.14 miles or there about depending on who measured your course, heart, ability to breath, and legs.
    No one will require you to finish the course in less time then you do.

Therefore jumping jacks and other cardio will suffice to get your heart going...moving quickly (not like a snail but darting like a mouse) around the house, sit ups, running in place knees high and slowly length the time until you are comfortable doing it for 5 minutes. Wake up early look at sleeping husband and say...see you in 15 minutes...when it gets where you can stand it. If you want something bad enough you will take the flack and roll on. You are a smart and capable person feel free to take the suggestions offered and ignore them or modify them as you need.

Other than that I started inside and moved outside weather permitting...run 5K regular for the time and fun...and they are fun. Good people and lots of encouragement.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I agree that you should look into getting a treadmill. It's not the same as running outside, but if you set the incline at 1 or 2, it should help you get a lot closer to running an outdoor 5k.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    OP, your profile states you work at a maximum security prison. A lot of jails/prisons have fitness facilities for the employees to use since it's important that you stay physically fit. Does your employer offer anything like this? If so, take advantage of it.

Otherwise, you either need to bundle up the kid (barring a medical issue) and get outside for find the time for your husband to watch her, even if it means getting up at 2:30am. Or buy a treadmill.

If none of those things will work for you, then you need to find another form of exercise. There's no shame in that. There are plenty of good choices, and running isn't the be all and end all of exercise and fitness.

However, there is shame in making excuses. So find something to do, stick with it and stop complaining when people offer you legitimate advice.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    and wow people on here talk like drill sargeants.....you would think pals would be encouraging and uplifting

People here speak nothing like drill sergeants ... even to people making excuses who could use that type of talking to.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I didn't realize it got that cold in Missouri?

1- if you are not used to do any exercise ...you can start at home using youtube...there are tons of free cardio workouts on youtube. In addition to using those workouts on your own you can do umping jacks, jump rope, jogging in place, running up an down stairs, dancing your *kitten* off, burpees, squats, planks, jump up and down, hop, skip, kick....anything that gets your heart rate up.
    2- get a sitter AT LEAST one day a week so you can train outside.
    3 - you're 22...even if you do zero training you should be able to walk a 5k.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    If you really can’t get outside or to a gym, try this instead…

Get a walking dvd and start with that. When the “walking” becomes too easy, start jogging in place. Most of these dvd’s will have you do other movements like side steps, raising your hands up, kicking your heels back, leg lifts, etc. You can increase the intensity of these movements by jumping from side to side, doing jumping jacks, etc.

While it’s not the same as learning to run, it will improve your aerobic capacity and by the time it’s warm enough to run outside with the baby, you should be able to jog/run without stopping for at least a mile.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    I skipped a few pages of the comments so I may be duplicating or way off but here goes.

I was never a runner, in my wildest dreams not a runner. But when I started on this journey last November a couple months into it I decided I was going to do 5 5Ks in 2013. I don't really have time to run either to practice. I tried it with my dogs and tripped over them but still. So the first 4 months of 2013 I walked with Leslie Sansone in front of the TV and built up my elliptical minutes and resistance and incline. So in May was my first 5K. No intention of running it all but I ran some of it and walked some of it. the next one I ran a little more and walked a little less and so on. The last two I did (#9 & 10) in November and December - I ran the whole way! Now I dream of running. Still don't have time to practice it but I will be out their again next year. A lot of it is mind over body and I would think that even more at your age than mine but I just thought I wasn't a runner. I really am -just hadn't found that out the first 50+years! Just do it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    OP - you aren't going to do a 5K. That's obvious. No one is being rude or "acting like a drill sergeant" to you. You asked for advice and then came up with an excuse for every single piece of perfectly good advice you received. Here's one last piece of advice. Tell your husband you're not doing the 5K.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    ok my husband is NOT doing this 5k. He knew i was wanting to do one and one of his bosses told him about this one. He isnt pushing me into this. i am the one wanting this. and im so glad all of you can figure out ways around workschedules to do your stuff. i will remember from now on to stay off the boards cause everytime i come looking for advise i get told im "asking stupid questions" "making excuses" yadda yadda yadda

Because you ARE making excuses. Go back and read all the posts from people. Everyone -- including myself -- gave solid advice on how you can accomplish doing a 5k.

The fact of the matter is that you obviously don't want to do it because if you did you would find the time to get some running in but you're not. You're coming up with excuse after excuse as to why you can't and in that respect you're right. You can't do it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    OP ... you describe yourself as "lazy" in your profile. Your unwillingness to get up early, stay up later, take your daughter out on a walk, find somebody to watch your child so you can workout for 30 minutes, and on and on confirms your statement. Next time you're at work, look at the caged animals in that maximum security prison. They don't make excuses. Put them in solitary or in an open bay, they MAKE time to exercise.

You make excuses.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Missouri? Um, yeah, get outside. Now if you were in ND, MN, MT or those colder states...then that "could" be used as an excuse.

Bundle up that kid and take her out. What sort of medical condition does she have that you can't? Or is that just an excuse?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    I'm having problems understanding the family schedule. I'm also having problems understanding why a 4yo child can't be outdoors for a while, unless there is a medical situation going on. I'm from a place where we are used to wearing winter gear in the cold months and usually no kids die here.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Walk/run to and from work.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    JSF
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    I hate saying this to anyone but...

No, you cannot do this.

It has nothing to do with your abilities or your body, it has to do with your mindset. You are looking for any excuse to not to it, so you won't.

If you want to run a 5k, the first thing you have to do is change your outlook. Then apply the advice you got in this thread.

Good luck.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    can yall please just answer my question and stop telling me to do the things ive made clear arent going to happen.

The problem is that with the constraints you have put on, there is no answer to your question.

Bottom line - you're not going to be running that 5k in April.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    OP - you aren't going to do a 5K. That's obvious. No one is being rude or "acting like a drill sergeant" to you. You asked for advice and then came up with an excuse for every single piece of perfectly good advice you received. Here's one last piece of advice. Tell your husband you're not doing the 5K.

Best advice in thread.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    get a baby sitter.

and I see lots of people running in cool weather- throw a blanket over the stroller and go for it.

Outside of people who are morbidly obese with joint/lung issues. You're average (even average over weight person) can finish a 5 K just walking.

get to a gym with a day care center- do your lift- and then go jog around the parking lot so you are used to the cold.

Morbidly obese here, with knees that won't support jogging 'til I'm under 200 lbs...I've been walking 5K+ multiple times/week. And 5K races have *plenty* of walkers. I'm in New England, and see people outside w/their kids in strollers - properly bundled. You can do this.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    can yall please just answer my question and stop telling me to do the things ive made clear arent going to happen. closest gym is over 30 miles one way. no babysitter to use

Do you have any advice for training while inside my house? thank you.

Treadmill. It's the best advice I can give you. I am sure people will have differing opinions, but it seems like the best option for you right now.