Poll: Giving compliments at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I always go up to the biggest scariest dude and compliment him on his glutes while he's curling in the squat rack.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I like to tell folks how absolutely amazing they look...then I take a picture and walk away. No one seemed to might, but for some reason my membership was revoked.

Is that how my pic ended up on all over the internet?
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I give *kitten* smacks as compliments.
  • copselily
    copselily Posts: 117
    Options
    I like to tell folks how absolutely amazing they look...then I take a picture and walk away. No one seemed to might, but for some reason my membership was revoked.

Is that how my pic ended up on all over the internet?

:laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    These people are just rude. How do you develop and nurture a support system with such rudeness. Is this what you teach your children? No wonder we as a society are in trouble. My goodness!

Actually what I find rude is that some people don't seem to accept they everyone is different and might not take a compliment the way you intend it.

Me awesome. Makes me smile.

My friend on the other hand has days where the fear of bring noticed and singled out keeps her at home for days.

Some people might be super shy and hate attention. Just because YOU think we should all love receiving compliments doesn't mean we do, or that those who don't are rude.

*smh*
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    OMG it's just a compliment! I love giving and receiving compliments? Since when has it become a bad thing?
    apparently since Al Gore invented the internet (curse you Al Gore!!!).....and people have decided that staring at their phone is more important than actually being in the company of real life friends and family.....because though we claim that the world is more "in touch", the reality is that social media has caused us to want to stay away.... /endrant \m/

:huh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am a friendly complimenter in life, I hug my friends (probably guys more than girls) however in the gym/exercise situation, I am careful Compliments there are body related and I really dont EVER want to make someone feel uncomfortable. So I error on the side of caution and not being a "creep".

Here on MFP, I really like friends with kick *kitten* diaries that I learn from, who work out hard, share ideas, they push me by example. Frankly, some are smokin. I dont say anything, because I dont want to lose friends like that and I could if I made them feel uncomfortable.
    very well put. I am a social friendly person out and about but just not at the gym. I'm either working really hard or a total nasty sweatbox and I don't usually feel like talking in those situations. I have told someone I've noticed she was doing really well when I saw her at the gym repeatedly and we were both in between machines.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    In the lobby, a classroom, or generally any other common area, I guess I can understand it. But when I'm into the workout, it's totally apparent that I'm wearing earbuds and don't want to talk. I'm shutting out the outside world, and using the music set pace (with cardio) or pump myself up (when lifting). I would prefer not to lose focus over small talk.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Start with one of these:
    "Thank you for showing me that all of this work will be worth it..."
    "It is nice to have a living, 3d, un-photoshoped, motivational poster here in the gym..."
    "When I grow up, I want to look like you..."

End with
    "...and now back to it, as it will not happen just by wishing and watching"
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've had women ask me what I was doing and ask if I had any tips for how to improve certain things and it turns into a short compliment giving conversation. I had a guy ask me about the deadlifts I was doing the other day and then that led to some compliments. Initially, I'm kind of shocked by someone talking to me because, as a lot of these other posts state, talking to people is considered pretty much the rudest most inappropriate thing you can do at the gym... like, I'm trying to lift bro... :wink:

Wait until she's finished with a set and ask her a question about some movement she was doing or ask how long it's taken her to accomplish whatever you look up to her for... the gym is a social environment as much as people insist that it isn't.

One of the few who clearly understands both sides of the issue and has a balanced viewpoint on this matter. Everyone else is mostly just taking sides.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I do not like when people make comments about my body (even positive), it tends to make me uncomfortable.
    These people are just rude. How do you develop and nurture a support system with such rudeness. Is this what you teach your children? No wonder we as a society are in trouble. My goodness!

wut?
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I give *kitten* smacks as compliments.

Thank you - this made my day! :drinker: :laugh:
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just did this yesterday :-) She works with the same trainer I do and in passing I told her how fantastic she looked and how far she'd come. Yea....she looked a little uncomfortable, she thanked me and blushed. I don't care though, I wanted to do it. I think as long as you don't make a whole conversation about it and just give the compliment and go it's not a creepy thing to do.

After reading the post, I guess it is creepy?!? heheheheheh I wouldn't mind receiving a compliment, guess others do.

I guess I am creepy too! I have complimented a couple people and have asked some about their workout routine because I was impressed with their physique and dedication. I would LOVE if someone complimented my at the gym. For the record, I keep my headphones on and don't talk to anyone at the gym, I usually give everyone my signature *****y face. SO I doubt if anyone will EVER talk to me!
  • copselily
    Options

Actually what I find rude is that some people don't seem to accept they everyone is different and might not take a compliment the way you intend it.

Me awesome. Makes me smile.

My friend on the other hand has days where the fear of bring noticed and singled keeps her at home for days.

Some people might be super shy and hate attention. Just because YOU think we should all love receiving compliments doesn't mean we do, or that those who don't are rude.

*smh*

Yeah, this is a really good point and I totally agree!

I wouldn't necessarily mind if someone complimented me, and I'd more than likely compliment someone else if I was talking to them and it seemed appropriate, but I wouldn't go up to them and compliment them out of the blue for a few reasons...

They could have social anxiety, low self esteem, some sort of disorder or exercise addiction, or maybe they (like me) like to come to the gym to get 'away' from everybody and see it as some 'me' time. Sometimes it's a bit uncomfortable knowing that someone is watching you do your thing.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get complimented at the gym! I'd be all like, aw shucks~ (n˘v˘•)¬
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Also for the record, I absolutely hate the people that do nothing but talk at the gym. And those couple of people who think it is their job to wander around the gym and talk with every person they see at the gym on a regular basis.

But on the other hand, I would love if someone approached me and gave me a short and simple compliment about my physique and/or lifting.
  • aharburger
    aharburger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I want to clarify that she was not wearing headphones and she was working out with a friend. If I had complimented her I would have done it in passing with a smile and walked away. And since this was the first time I noticed her, i couldn't exactly note any improvement :) Maybe a targeted approach like "Hey you have nice arms!"

Girl complimenting a girl still taken as a come on? I mean I know it happens but I guess I would never assume a girl was hitting on me. Maybe I'm naive?
  • Primeval_Princess
    Options
    Compliments in passing which aren't interrupting a set are fine and welcomed IMO. Someone who took the time to say something is appreciated.
  • copselily
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I want to clarify that she was not wearing headphones and she was working out with a friend. If I had complimented her I would have done it in passing with a smile and walked away. And since this was the first time I noticed her, i couldn't exactly note any improvement :) Maybe a targeted approach like "Hey you have nice arms!"

Girl complimenting a girl still taken as a come on? I mean I know it happens but I guess I would never assume a girl was hitting on me. Maybe I'm naive?

I wouldn't worry about it being creepy or as if you're hitting on her. :smile:
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    People know why you are at the gym. Commenting on body might be taken as 'cruising' the gym. Dudes know themselves, since I see them staring at the mirror and rubbing their abs to lift the shirt slyly. Women know what they got as they wear those tiny black booty shorts on the treadmill. Focus on yourself and look for inspiration and see aspirational bodies but no need to tell them.

But they have to wear booty shorts and sports bras to be comfortable! Only guys can manage to be comfortable at the gym in shorts and a t-shirt.