Poll: Giving compliments at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Tiranoua
    Tiranoua Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Being quite shy, I doubt I would compliment someone in my local gym unless I knew who they were. I have no idea how people would react these days.
    I wouldn't react badly to a compliment given to me. I would blush and probably deny whatever they said, but I'd feel good overall :)
    It hasn't happened yet, people in my gym tend to keep themselves to themselves.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I ususally don't comment to the uber fit folks unless I've seen a transformation, BUT... I almost always make a point of commenting on progress I see in the everyday folks like me. I don't think we see how awesome we are or how much progress we've made because it is often sooooo slow, I mean gradual... I usually, in passing btwn sets, not during their workout say something along the lines of "Hey, I've seen you working lately and you are really leaning out" or "Obviously the new weight routine is working for you. You look great, the change is really noticeable"

You never know when someone is doubting or needs a boost. How hard is it to comment?
  • browner
    browner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am sure that there are many thoughts on this.

However, for me, I show up and do my work out. I have zero interest in talking to anyone. I keep my headphones in and the Scorpions turned up loud to help avoid any human to human interaction!

Best!

Love this!!! This is exactly what I am like, The owner of our gym even tried to tell me to be more friendly and interact with other members, to which my response was..... why? I have enough friends lol
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I give the nod of approval.

542.gif
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Honestly, I don't have a filter. I tell it like it is. So if I want to tell someone I think they look great, I'll do so. Take as a compliment. If you can't take a compliment then I think you have some "inner" issues to work on. Just give the compliment, make it short and sweet, and go about your workout.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on your approach. It's going to be hard to do without coming across as creepy.

approach/delievery yes.

second part? no.

anyone who is remotely serious about lifting knows that compliments about body parts happen. Like man your quads are crazy or your delts are looking amazing.

it's standard and normal.

Yes some people are introverted- and we accept that not everyone likes public interaction- but if someone giving you a compliment about your hard work bothers you- then you need to either ACCEPT that it might happen- or remove yourself from those situations.

I made a very good friend one time by taking the time to walk up and say that's a great thing- i see your work- and I was wondering if I could borrow that thing (it wasn't a common lift so I felt uncomfortable just "stealing" it because I saw him do it)- turns out he is incredibly socially akward and suffers from PTSD and is a really wonderful human being who had no friends locally. It wound up being really a good thing- and we are friends to this day- he still struggles in social situations- but you have no idea- and you could totally make someone's day- or not. But it is what it is. If you are at the gym- someone might one day walk up and say- hey- your back is popping like crazy while you are doing those.

You don't have to make a big thing about it. It's not- it's just an observation. go with it and move on. Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's just a compliment people, not some hidden agenda to infiltrate your social circle. I compliment random people now and again if it's deserving. If they wanna be an *kitten*, or weird that a person would do such a horrific thing, then maybe they need to sort out their issues.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It depends on the delivery and I think it should wait until before someone begins their workout or has just finished and is getting ready to leave. A quick, well-delivered compliment that doesn't stop someone's workout or hold them up for a ton of time before or after is generally acceptable. I'd say if someone keeps their headphones on even while getting ready to leave or if they look rushed, then it's best to wait. Common sense and courtesy should apply to this. If someone is obviously trying to keep to themselves (headphones are a good indicator of this) or if they're really concentrating in the middle of their workout, it would be rude to approach, even for a compliment. Compliments are nice, but they can wait.

ETA: I'm super introverted and I don't take compliments well. But someone who is courteous to me and delivers the compliment well isn't going to completely ruin my day. In fact, they might just make me feel pretty good about my progress. I wouldn't be comfortable approaching someone, but I feel like I'm pretty approachable and if someone goes out of their way to compliment me, then it's just a nice gesture that I appreciate.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't have a filter. I tell it like it is. So if I want to tell someone I think they look great, I'll do so. Take as a compliment. If you can't take a compliment then I think you have some "inner" issues to work on. Just give the compliment, make it short and sweet, and go about your workout.

^this.

The only person responsible for your feelings is you. It's not my fault if I give a person a genuine compliment and they misinterpret it and it makes them uncomfortable.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It would creep me out. I would think you're either weird or that you're hitting on me. Neither would be okay for me. I absolutely hate dealing with people's judgements - both good and bad. I hate the scrutiny.

I also hate people looking which is why I don't lift. Guys really need to focus more on themselves at the gym!

This is a woman talking about complimenting another woman. VERY unlikely she is hitting on her.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You don't know what everyone's intentions are for being at the gym. Sometimes it is used as a huge social outlet.

From someone named "shutupandlift" lol

:bigsmile:

Lift big iron. Rest 3-5 minutes. Talk while resting. Or twiddle your thumbs, I guess.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    It would creep me out. I would think you're either weird or that you're hitting on me. Neither would be okay for me. I absolutely hate dealing with people's judgements - both good and bad. I hate the scrutiny.

I also hate people looking which is why I don't lift. Guys really need to focus more on themselves at the gym!

This is a woman talking about complimenting another woman. VERY unlikely she is hitting on her.

Welcome to 2014.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    People know why you are at the gym. Commenting on body might be taken as 'cruising' the gym. Dudes know themselves, since I see them staring at the mirror and rubbing their abs to lift the shirt slyly. Women know what they got as they wear those tiny black booty shorts on the treadmill. Focus on yourself and look for inspiration and see aspirational bodies but no need to tell them.

But they have to wear booty shorts and sports bras to be comfortable! Only guys can manage to be comfortable at the gym in shorts and a t-shirt.
    [/quote

No, a loose t shirt and baggy sweatpants are always comfortable.... don't have to wear sports bra and shorts, unless your first prioiry is showing off your body.]
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    These people are just rude. How do you develop and nurture a support system with such rudeness. Is this what you teach your children? No wonder we as a society are in trouble. My goodness!

An opinion is asked for and given but because it isn't all motivational rainbows and unicorns farting out pixie dust it is rude and we should be ashamed?

I think what people should be ashamed of is belittling or shaming others who are just being honest. That's like telling a kid they won't get in trouble if they tell the truth but they still get in trouble when they do.

To the OP - If it were just a passing statement, I'd feel awkward but appreciative. If someone started trying to strike up a conversation about it (whether asking about my diet or such while saying they want to look like me or whatnot), I'd feel really weirded out and probably a little annoyed if they do it in the middle of my workout.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

However, for me, I show up and do my work out. I have zero interest in talking to anyone. I keep my headphones in and the Scorpions turned up loud to help avoid any human to human interaction!

Best!

This is so me. Focused... music.... workout... don't talk to me!

this x 100
  • TR0berts
    Options
    OP: You like her look. When she's in a rest period, ask her how she got that look, because that's the general look you're going for. She'll feel complimented without you actually complimenting her. Plus, you'll maybe get some tips on how to get there and maybe make a new friend.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Best!

this x 100

I would still give you a compliment in the gym.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    WOW, im just getting too old school to keep up it sounds like. Old days, people... WOMEN included LOVED having people compliment them on their well kept physiques. I work HARD to stay in shape...GUYS know how hard another guy is working to have a thin stomach I LOVE when someone notices my progress

AND I LOVE talking with people I don't put myself in a shell with headphones and "do my thing" and get out of there. You have to be kind to your fellow man. TALK TO PEOPLE BE APPROACHABLE yourself ...It isn't JUST about you. Sorry,, but its not.
    How do you ever make friends? Oh let me guess, you don't "need" anymore friends. THAT is the bggest way today you are fooling yourself It says you think youre "all that"
    It doesn't mean JUMP in bed with me if someone says wow youre looking great!!

WOW

I am usually too out of breath to talk to anyone...or I am focusing on next set ...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Personal experience: I have had a woman hit on me at the gym. More than once. You do know about lesbians, right?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Best!

this x 100

I would still give you a compliment in the gym.

would you buy me beer and wings for the game too ??? :) lol