This is what is wrong with the fitness industry

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was fair to comment on the model's fitness level. Lots of women don't want to be muscular -- and no I don't mean "bulky" or "manly." I mean they don't necessarily want the kind of arms and legs that a lot of the women on this site seem to be shooting for. Some people like to lift light with their girly weights and get it done that way, and you CAN and DO still see results from that, just different ones. I wish more people on this site would see that.

Agreed!

Except of course she's heavily photoshopped.
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, virtually no one needs a 10lb. kettlebell. Even an 18 is kinda puny for most things.

It's embarrassing to admit, but I need my 10lb dumbbell right now for my front raises and I'm at 15lbs for my kroc rows and rolling dumbbell tricep extensions. So thanks. *goes to sulk*
    I'll sulk with you :flowerforyou:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, virtually no one needs a 10lb. kettlebell. Even an 18 is kinda puny for most things.

It's embarrassing to admit, but I need my 10lb dumbbell right now for my front raises and I'm at 15lbs for my kroc rows and rolling dumbbell tricep extensions. So thanks. *goes to sulk*
    Nothing wrong with a 10lb dumbbell. Kettlebell exercises aren't the same.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How so? You can do front raises with either kettlebell or dumbbells, but it doesn't make the exercise different. Same with goblet squats, lateral raises, standing tricep extensions, DB/KB deadlifts/squats, lunges, etc.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    the market is consumer driven. they make the pink ones because women buy them.

This was my first thought when I read the OP. If women weren't allowed to buy heavier kettlebells or good old, unembellished, black, cast iron kettlebells, then we could say there was a bigger issue here. I have many kettlebells. All of them weigh a lot more than 10 lbs. None of them are pink.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't see what is wrong with the model's body or why it is surprising she was chosen. Other than the crazy long arms, she seems like a realistic person doing kettlebells.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I snapped this shot at a local ****'s Sporting Goods. This was the heaviest of the "pretty" kettlebells clearly being marketed to women, and the lightest of the one's being marketed neutrally (or to men for that matter). Yes, they are the same exact weight.

Additionally, here's the model used in the marketing campagin:

The woman has absolutely ZERO muscle. That has to be the first time she even though about lifting a kettlebell. And is it just me, or are those arms a bit to Gumby-like to be natural? For her sake, I hope there is some photoshop occurring....

everbody has to start somewhere, not sure why there is any use in pointing out her physique.

you seem to be assuming that the industry is dictating what women should be lifting. forget about what the weight looks like and problem solved.

To me its only and issue if a women thinks she's limited to pink sporting goods. in that case she just has issues.

^^What he said.

Picking on her physique and arms is unnecessary.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for the company, it exists to make money and not to be "right." Their advertising is clearly designed to sell product. If the market changes and decides that pink weights are not feminine and instrumental in helping women reach their goals, then the company will change their advertising to reflect it.

I feel too often we play the victim to advertising when the ads really only exist and reflect their target market's opinions.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is what's wrong with all advertising. There's a lot of criticism for the way toys are marketed as well.

ToysRUs-2-550x414.jpg

Someone needs to come up with the Science Princess or something, complete with pink microscope and test tubes. I expect advertising execs to fail our children and society by turning most of our girls into fashion divas, but would some clever script writer with Disney connections please step up and save us? Thanks.

They have tons of pink test tubes and science stuff at Hobby Lobby.

You're welcome.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    In for pink weights.

a3yr6o.jpg

Aaaand now I know what I'll be doing when my new weights arrive in the mail.
    I need some spraypaint
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

How so? You can do front raises with either kettlebell or dumbbells, but it doesn't make the exercise different. Same with goblet squats, lateral raises, standing tricep extensions, DB/KB deadlifts/squats, lunges, etc.
    I've only done kb videos from maybe 4-5 RKC trainers but I've never seen anyone do anything like a front raise or anything with a bell that small. When I bought mine the advice was to start at 18lbs-26 lbs., from all sources. Here's an example.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/kettlebell-buyers-guide/
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

My weakest muscles are my shoulders. For my lateral raises and front raises I use 15lbs at the most.

Nothing wrong with using light weight.

ETA: I'm talking dumbbells. Not kettle balls. I have never used a kettle ball
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I snapped this shot at a local ****'s Sporting Goods. This was the heaviest of the "pretty" kettlebells clearly being marketed to women, and the lightest of the one's being marketed neutrally (or to men for that matter). Yes, they are the same exact weight.

Additionally, here's the model used in the marketing campagin:

The woman has absolutely ZERO muscle. That has to be the first time she even though about lifting a kettlebell. And is it just me, or are those arms a bit to Gumby-like to be natural? For her sake, I hope there is some photoshop occurring....

everbody has to start somewhere, not sure why there is any use in pointing out her physique.

you seem to be assuming that the industry is dictating what women should be lifting. forget about what the weight looks like and problem solved.

To me its only and issue if a women thinks she's limited to pink sporting goods. in that case she just has issues.

^^What he said.

Her arms do appear disproportionally long, which is probably a Photoshop issue and not her real arms. But the rest of her looks pretty good to me. I'd love to have a body like hers.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think she's photoshopped, and that's what people are laughing at. Her body appears to be too small for her arms and head. I don't know if they were going for a tinier woman or just more detail of the product without cutting off her lower half.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I've only done kb videos from maybe 4-5 RKC trainers but I've never seen anyone do anything like a front raise or anything with a bell that small. When I bought mine the advice was to start at 18lbs-26 lbs., from all sources. Here's an example.

If you google it, it's actually pretty common.

ETA: Also, I'm talking 10lb kettlebell per arm. If I had to start off at 18lbs I'd be screwed. Kettlebell front raises are not uncommon and I don't want to inundate the post and derail it with links to various websites and youtube videos of it being done.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Who cares how stuff is marketed. Advertising, the market, and consumers all feed off of each other. If you're angry that pink kettlebells don't come in larger sizes, buy a can of this too and all your problems are solved.

724504535713lg.jpg

ETA: What's wrong with the fitness industry is the ease with which virtually anyone can hang up a shingle and sell themselves as a nutritionist and trainer with little to no regulation. They flood the industry with misinformation.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK, I used my fingers to measure her arms against her body and if they were actually as long as they look,. her fingertips would hang to her knees. Definitely NOT an untouched-up photo.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Who cares how stuff is marketed. Advertising, the market, and consumers all feed off of each other. If you're angry that pink kettlebells don't come in larger sizes, buy a can of this too and all your problems are solved.

724504535713lg.jpg

Agreed. Or, if you think the advertisers are wrong, then it sounds like a great opportunity to make some money. Make a company thats niche is big weights in pink...I bet it could actually be fairly successful. :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I am wondering if she is assuming 18lbs-26 lbs for both arms combined?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I think people use kettlebells for all kinds of things outside of what they were made for and that's why there are little ones for sale now. In traditional kettlebell training, the advice is usually for women to start with at least an 18lb.

http://www.mikemahler.com/store/kettlebell-buyer-guide.html
    http://www.kettlebellsusa.com/what-size-kettlebell-should-i-buy-guidelines-for-men-and-women-to-choose-a-starter-kettlebell-weight.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin6gggg.htm
    http://kettlebellinc.com/kettlebellinfo/kettlebell-faqs.php
    http://www.ontheedgefitness.com/shopping-for-a-kettlebell/