This is what is wrong with the fitness industry

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I am taking a co-ed boxing class and got these:

everlast-pro-style-pinktraining-boxing-gloves.jpg

I want the guys to think I'm just a soft girl before I smack them in the head with a hook.

I was sad, I already bought my black ones before I realized they had them in pink. :sad:
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It cracks me up when people blame certain industries, manufacturers and marketing/advertising for the availability or lack of availability of certain products. Pissed off that there aren't enough pink weights that are above 10lbs? Then start getting large numbers of women in the gym who lift some serious weight. There is no conspiracy to "hold women back" in the fitness industry. There aren't manufactures out there saying "what can we make that people don't want?". Advertising teams aren't saying, "Hmmm, let's create an ad that will humiliate and infuriate our target market.". It's simple, the majority of women out there are buying the lightweight cutesy pink crap, gimmick gear and apparel that is wrapped in a packaging that displays some unrealistic woman having an absolute blast with her pink 2lb kettle bell, matching sport bra in some swanky home gym. If it bothers you, there are two options. One, start your own company producing what YOU think the people want, packaging it with YOU on the box working your buns off and advertise with YOUR own commercial. Hey, maybe you’ll make a million, maybe you’ll go bankrupt in a week. Option two is start slapping the fools who buy this crap and educate them. </rant>

^This^

Pink bells exists because people buy them. 10 lb bells exists because people buy them.People buy them because they see Jillian Michaels (among others) using them/coaching others to use them (and don't get me started on her kettlebell form!). TVs toughest trainer, my foot! Role models like this perpetuate the myth that women shouldn't lift heavy.

Silly bodybuilding courses exists because someone can convince a large number of people that this is the "best way" to train...until the "next great way discovery" comes along, usually written by the author of the previous "way". 75 different flavors of toothpaste exists in the US because people buy them. If you feel insulted by the pink vinyl bells, then select option two above and be ready to get pinched each time you go into any store with a sporting goods section. As I told my sons when they were growing up, "Don't do anything you haven't got bond money for". Poor grammar, but they got the point.

If I had no moral compass and felt it was okay to take millions of dollars from people through not-quite-honest and lowest common denominator advertising, I could come up with the greatest thing since snake oil, find a way around the FDA to market it, and be warming my cold bones in the Bahamas, instead of freezing them today in mid-Michigan. If it gets any colder, I might just chuck my morals...

That rant off my chest, weight is weight; pink vinyl or black cast iron. Lift. Something. Heavy (segue into my next rant)!

A 10 lb weight might be needed when first starting out, but any able bodied human should be able to move past that in short order unless you're doing pinky toe lifts to recover from an injury. My MS stricken wife lifts heavier bells than that! My grandson could deadlift my 53 lb bell when he was 3. Don't let images like the ones posted previously guide you down the wrong path.

And in closing, the way to avoid callouses when using kettlebells has nothing to do with what they are made of. It's all about how you hold them. Chances are the vinyl kettlebell will blister and tear your skin more quickly and certainly than the cast iron one.

That is, if you're not lifting along with a Jillian Michaels video...
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i happen to love the color pink as well - so much so that when we started demo on our house, i went out and bought myself a sledgehammer and a can of pink spray paint

SH_zps1815cb9c.png

no confusing my sledgehammer with my husbands! :bigsmile:
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    i happen to love the color pink as well - so much so that when we started demo on our house, i went out and bought myself a sledgehammer and a can of pink spray paint

I wanted a pink toolbox with pink tools. I saw them at Lowe's. They had them in purple too.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The fitness industry has long known that females will spend more money than males on personal self improvement. This is actually how the word "TONED" came about. Rather than saying "weight lifting" (which was associated with building huge muscles with males) "toning" sounded much softer and more feminine and didn't reek of muscularity. This help to create many "toning" programs out there catering to females and yes it's made the fitness industry BILLIONS.
    Unfortunately lots of females out there are under the impression that female muscles can grow at the same rate as male muscles and that's why there is so much confusion on how to train. Good thing is that sites like this help to dispell the myths of muscle gain (especially on a calorie deficit) and how hard it actually is to put on pounds of muscle with moderate training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

When I met with the trainer at my gym last week, he wanted to know what I had done previously. After I explained what NROLFW was, he said he didn't know women were supposed to train differently from men. I like that guy! He never used the word "tone", either.

I guess I never got the memo about girls training differently than guys either. But then I never went to the 'fitness centers'. I got into weight training at a sweaty gym owned by a married couple who were both competitive BBs. We all trained together on the same equipment.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    when women start painting their nails "dumbbell gray" instead of pink I'm sure the advertisers will respond accordingly.

So.... I paint my fingernails gray on a regular basis. Should I call ****'s and update them about it?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Laugh if you like, but don't let them hear you doing it:

orig.jpg

pink-AK47.jpg
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It cracks me up when people blame certain industries, manufacturers and marketing/advertising for the availability or lack of availability of certain products. Pissed off that there aren't enough pink weights that are above 10lbs? Then start getting large numbers of women in the gym who lift some serious weight. There is no conspiracy to "hold women back" in the fitness industry. There aren't manufactures out there saying "what can we make that people don't want?". Advertising teams aren't saying, "Hmmm, let's create an ad that will humiliate and infuriate our target market.". It's simple, the majority of women out there are buying the lightweight cutesy pink crap, gimmick gear and apparel that is wrapped in a packaging that displays some unrealistic woman having an absolute blast with her pink 2lb kettle bell, matching sport bra in some swanky home gym. If it bothers you, there are two options. One, start your own company producing what YOU think the people want, packaging it with YOU on the box working your buns off and advertise with YOUR own commercial. Hey, maybe you’ll make a million, maybe you’ll go bankrupt in a week. Option two is start slapping the fools who buy this crap and educate them. </rant>

^This^

Pink bells exists because people buy them. 10 lb bells exists because people buy them.People buy them because they see Jillian Michaels (among others) using them/coaching others to use them (and don't get me started on her kettlebell form!). TVs toughest trainer, my foot! Role models like this perpetuate the myth that women shouldn't lift heavy.

Silly bodybuilding courses exists because someone can convince a large number of people that this is the "best way" to train...until the "next great way discovery" comes along, usually written by the author of the previous "way". 75 different flavors of toothpaste exists in the US because people buy them. If you feel insulted by the pink vinyl bells, then select option two above and be ready to get pinched each time you go into any store with a sporting goods section. As I told my sons when they were growing up, "Don't do anything you haven't got bond money for". Poor grammar, but they got the point.

If I had no moral compass and felt it was okay to take millions of dollars from people through not-quite-honest and lowest common denominator advertising, I could come up with the greatest thing since snake oil, find a way around the FDA to market it, and be warming my cold bones in the Bahamas, instead of freezing them today in mid-Michigan. If it gets any colder, I might just chuck my morals...

That rant off my chest, weight is weight; pink vinyl or black cast iron. Lift. Something. Heavy (segue into my next rant)!

A 10 lb weight might be needed when first starting out, but any able bodied human should be able to move past that in short order unless you're doing pinky toe lifts to recover from an injury. My MS stricken wife lifts heavier bells than that! My grandson could deadlift my 53 lb bell when he was 3. Don't let images like the ones posted previously guide you down the wrong path.

And in closing, the way to avoid callouses when using kettlebells has nothing to do with what they are made of. It's all about how you hold them. Chances are the vinyl kettlebell will blister and tear your skin more quickly and certainly than the cast iron one.

There are plenty of ways to stay fit, no? I use my bodyweight, and now that my shoulder is fractured I'm doing quite well with pistol squats. Before I started breaking bones I was climbing trees, doing chin-ups and pull-ups quite easily, planks, doing handstand pushups along with yoga, etc... I'd rather play outside than be in a gym. Just me. :)
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Laugh if you like, but don't let them hear you doing it:

pink-AK47.jpg
    WANT!

I've been begging my husband for a pink S&W .38.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Who wants to tell former heavyweight boxing champion Pinklon Thomas that his trademark pink boxing trunks were obviously made for a girl because of their color?

Anyone?
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    that woman in the advertisement is PHOTOSHOPPED. nobody has that long arm except apes, monkey, orangutanges and many other animals NOT human. LMAO
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The fitness industry has long known that females will spend more money than males on personal self improvement. This is actually how the word "TONED" came about. Rather than saying "weight lifting" (which was associated with building huge muscles with males) "toning" sounded much softer and more feminine and didn't reek of muscularity. This help to create many "toning" programs out there catering to females and yes it's made the fitness industry BILLIONS.
    Unfortunately lots of females out there are under the impression that female muscles can grow at the same rate as male muscles and that's why there is so much confusion on how to train. Good thing is that sites like this help to dispell the myths of muscle gain (especially on a calorie deficit) and how hard it actually is to put on pounds of muscle with moderate training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

When I met with the trainer at my gym last week, he wanted to know what I had done previously. After I explained what NROLFW was, he said he didn't know women were supposed to train differently from men. I like that guy! He never used the word "tone", either.
    NROLFW got written for the same reason NROL for Abs and for MidLife did. They can't just leave a good book alone. They have to rewrite it in endless sequels to milk it for every dime. Next will be NROL for Europeans or NROL for Gays.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

lawd.gif
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

SH_zps1815cb9c.png

Paying $80 for a $50 sledge because it's pink = dumb *kitten*

Paying $50 for a sledge, $2 for pink spray paint and making your own = Like a Boss!

clap.gif
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

I wanted a pink toolbox with pink tools. I saw them at Lowe's. They had them in purple too.
    Tools designed for women also tend to have smaller handles for our generally smaller hands. My mom has that pink set and she loves it.
  • nicoleashleyfit
    Options
    yay for pink lol
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    That color pink reminds me of Pepto Bismal. No thanks :D I never liked it even as a kid. I do like ballerina pink (even now).
    that woman in the advertisement is PHOTOSHOPPED. nobody has that long arm except apes, monkey, orangutanges and many other animals NOT human. LMAO

Hey! My arms are monkey-like :D My legs are long for my body, too. I think I was supposed to be several inches taller and stunted my torso growth with gymnastics (or something). Why yes my fingers nearly go to my knees, lol. I could donate to poor Matthew Mcconaughey!
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    20140118_181843.jpg

I snapped this shot at a local ****'s Sporting Goods. This was the heaviest of the "pretty" kettlebells clearly being marketed to women, and the lightest of the one's being marketed neutrally (or to men for that matter). Yes, they are the same exact weight.

Additionally, here's the model used in the marketing campagin:

20140118_181855.jpg

The woman has absolutely ZERO muscle. That has to be the first time she even though about lifting a kettlebell. And is it just me, or are those arms a bit to Gumby-like to be natural? For her sake, I hope there is some photoshop occurring....

Are you on a calorie deficit, it sounds like it lol.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    I guess I'm a monkey, my arms are halfway down my thighs. Long legs for my height too. lol
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    "Are you on a calorie deficit, it sounds like it lol."

I think she's just jealous of thin women. ;)