Trying to gain muscle. Why no cardio?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    ...and then if your liver and muscle glycogen is used up...

Roughly 20 miles of running can be run before glycogen is used up - this will be when the runner hits the wall, but not all runners hit it, it depends on how the run is performed from setting out.

20 miles of running can take four hours or more in some peoples' case, it all depends on how fast they run of course.

This puts paid to the ridiculous claims that 15 or 20 mins of continuous cardio will suddenly make people eat into their muscles lmao.

After glycogen is used up, the body turns to fat to get energy, and the human body, even in the most slimmest of runners, contains enough fuel in fat to carry for another 600 - yes SIX HUNDRED miles.

It is the most amazing piece of biological machinery.

What ARE you talking about? Is this something someone told you maybe? Or did you dream it?
    Think about this, what happens when the body can't burn fat fast enough to keep up then? Ie in the higher heart rate zones and over threshold? Why do athletes hit the wall, bonk, use gels, glucose?

No, it is something that has be widely researched by scientists and no I did not dream it, it is quite widely known, I am not quite sure where you have been hiding, under a rock perhaps?

They hit the wall because they run out of glycogen. By using gels they are replacing energy, THAT is why they take them.

I got this off a number of sites, one of which is http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/running/training/hitting-the-wall.htm

You don't mind sweetcheeks do you, only not all of us like bro-science, we actually like to back it up with something other than people's (such as yours) opinions.

If you do not know what I was originally talking about, perhaps some googling about or surfing the web will educate you slightly, it is all there at your fingertips, but please, leave out telling people they speak rubbish or asking them if they dreamed the info, because it just shows that you have no idea what YOU are on about.

Roughly 20 miles running will use up glycogen, this is when 40% of runners hit the wall, the remainder may not do so, this can be due to their preparation beforehand.

600 miles of fat is in the slimmest of runners that can be used up and will be used once all glycogen is depleted.

Now then, if you do not like what I am saying, there is nothing I can do about that, but I strongly suggest you research first, before further comments.

I've spent thousands of hours, countless books magazines, forums, and mileage, just like you, so research isn't the issue here, perhaps it's our interpretation and lack of articulation on both sides. I was a bit rude, apologies. We're all trying to get to the bottom of it.

You have said it yourself in your post, they've run out of glycogen, and fat doesn't burn fast enough to supply what is needed after that, If fat could do the job after glycogen runs out we wouldn't need extra fueling after 60-90 minutes of race pace. Perhaps if you pushed your aerobic base as far as it goes without breaking through your lactate threshold you could get a decent endurance pace, but not sprinting.

I think it's the absolute numbers you are using that makes what you're saying not very credible. I'm just as bad with my garbled rantings but there's no way I could rely on fat to get me through even a sprint triathlon, let alone further distances.

Maybe you're talking about jogging? ; )
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    ...and then if your liver and muscle glycogen is used up...

Roughly 20 miles of running can be run before glycogen is used up - this will be when the runner hits the wall, but not all runners hit it, it depends on how the run is performed from setting out.

20 miles of running can take four hours or more in some peoples' case, it all depends on how fast they run of course.

This puts paid to the ridiculous claims that 15 or 20 mins of continuous cardio will suddenly make people eat into their muscles lmao.

After glycogen is used up, the body turns to fat to get energy, and the human body, even in the most slimmest of runners, contains enough fuel in fat to carry for another 600 - yes SIX HUNDRED miles.

It is the most amazing piece of biological machinery.

What ARE you talking about? Is this something someone told you maybe? Or did you dream it?
    Think about this, what happens when the body can't burn fat fast enough to keep up then? Ie in the higher heart rate zones and over threshold? Why do athletes hit the wall, bonk, use gels, glucose?

No, it is something that has be widely researched by scientists and no I did not dream it, it is quite widely known, I am not quite sure where you have been hiding, under a rock perhaps?

They hit the wall because they run out of glycogen. By using gels they are replacing energy, THAT is why they take them.

I got this off a number of sites, one of which is http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/running/training/hitting-the-wall.htm

You don't mind sweetcheeks do you, only not all of us like bro-science, we actually like to back it up with something other than people's (such as yours) opinions.

If you do not know what I was originally talking about, perhaps some googling about or surfing the web will educate you slightly, it is all there at your fingertips, but please, leave out telling people they speak rubbish or asking them if they dreamed the info, because it just shows that you have no idea what YOU are on about.

Roughly 20 miles running will use up glycogen, this is when 40% of runners hit the wall, the remainder may not do so, this can be due to their preparation beforehand.

600 miles of fat is in the slimmest of runners that can be used up and will be used once all glycogen is depleted.

Now then, if you do not like what I am saying, there is nothing I can do about that, but I strongly suggest you research first, before further comments.

I've spent thousands of hours, countless books magazines, forums, and mileage, just like you, so research isn't the issue here, perhaps it's our interpretation and lack of articulation on both sides. I was a bit rude, apologies. We're all trying to get to the bottom of it.

You have said it yourself in your post, they've run out of glycogen, and fat doesn't burn fast enough to supply what is needed after that, If fat could do the job after glycogen runs out we wouldn't need extra fueling after 60-90 minutes of race pace. Perhaps if you pushed your aerobic base as far as it goes without breaking through your lactate threshold you could get a decent endurance pace, but not sprinting.

I think it's the absolute numbers you are using that makes what you're saying not very credible. I'm just as bad with my garbled rantings but there's no way I could rely on fat to get me through even a sprint triathlon, let alone further distances.

Maybe you're talking about jogging? ; )

Apologies, we are on different wavelengths here lol.

Somewhere back there in this thread, the subject got onto The Wall, this was a subject I knew a little about, hence my first reply.

I actually think we're on the same side here but coming from different angles.

What gets me is that some people start saying after 15 to 30 mins of cardio people will start eating into muscle, it just does my head in.

No offence meant x
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    and no, I was not talking about jogging

After 39 years of running and at 53 years old, I am not talking about jogging :)
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Have you ever seen a jacked marathoner? no.

Have you seen jacked sprinters? yes.

This is because long,steady state cardio wears/breaks down and uses muscle as fuel.

That's why body builders do 'incline' walk and some light-medium cardio on an empty stomach 3 x / week for no more than 30 min.

If you focus on lifting weights and do cardio on the side, you will put on a lot of strength/muscle, but you might put on fat as well.
    It's a fine balance...

In the end?

It's 100% diet. If you do a lot of running, then eat a lot of complex carbs and eat a lot of protein throughout the day along with omega 3 fatty acid, and other essential supplements to prevent muscle breakdowns.

You notice how after a long run, you can't bench/curl, do any lifts as much as when you don't?

Do your weights first, then do HIIT at the end.

I couldn't have said it better myself. All of the research I have done supports this. Just finished a 5 month bulk - eating at a surplus with very limited cardio. Gained 7.5 lbs of muscle along with 9.5 lbs of fat. Adding HIIT cardio now to burn fat.