To all the anti-low-carb folks, tell me this isn't healthy

Options

Replies

• Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    There are no cookies. Ergo it is not the diet plan for me.

^^^this
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It is hard to read this over the bowl of cereal I am eating...

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot go good bakeries

:flowerforyou:

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

cafe dumond in new orleans…boom awesome beignets!!!!!!

You had to mention those didn't you!!! I miss having those. Who is in for a trip to New Orleans??

Count me in.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that carbohydrates are brain fuel. I could be wrong, though.

Glucose is brain fuel.

The body can generate glucose from protein via gluconeogenesis in the absence of adequate carbohydrates. All vital functions, including the brain, that require glucose will receive it on even the lowest carb programs, or in the total absence of food. The rest of your functions, the majority, are fueled by ketones.

Whilst it's true, your body can do this, it's an intense process for it to do. This is generally why I'm "against" paleo-type diets... supply doesn't keep up with demand, and therefore your glycogen stores (particularly in the muscles) are always seriously depleted.

It doesn't matter if all you're doing is walking.
    I don't approve of paleo, but just wanted to add that it isn't necessarily low carb, it's just easier to sell a plan with a good story to tell.
  • brandynoliver
    brandynoliver Posts: 6 Member
    Options

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot go good bakeries

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

And now I'm craving Cafe Dumond beignets..
    Good thing they sell their mix! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Not a theory. Science. That's how every weight loss diet works. I'm not talking a few weeks of water loss, then a calorie deficit from cutting carbs, which is how a lot of diets that cut out carbs works.

Very simplified science, it doesn't take in to account how your body reacts to different types of foods and how it impacts the fat metabolism. There are many variables which might impact calorie in and calorie out theory depending on your body. In broad sense, yes you can apply first law of thermodynamics and say calories are important but its very small part of the overall picture.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

What works for others may not work for some one else despite eating same calories, the secret is figuring out what works.

Lol Attia
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

Lol Attia

Very insightful. LOL.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    OP, this is a classic straw man argument. Why am I even replying to this nonsense?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

Yeah, but then you miss the ambiance and the awesome grubbiness of the Quarter.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    OP, this is a classic straw man argument. Why am I even replying to this nonsense?

Good question. Why ARE you?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It looks good, but I love my carbs. Sorry.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

Yeah, but then you miss the ambiance and the awesome grubbiness of the Quarter.

And its not the same. I bought the mix the last time I was there, and it was good, but its more delicious there.
    And the coffee!!
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    This Little Debbie's oatmeal pie is soooo good right now.

oops were we talking low carb? I dont know what that is
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Anti-low carb?

:laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Not only healthy but delicious, filling, and an effective way to lose weight.

Breakfast - 3 egg omelet with spinach and green peppers
    Morning snack - 23 almonds (1 oz)
    Lunch - 6 oz roast salmon, large romain and tomato salad with 3 tbsp caesars dressing
    Afternoon snack - 2 slices salami and 1 oz cheddar cheese
    Dinner - 2 roasted chicken thighs with skin, 1 cup roasted cauliflower and 1 cup roasted broccoli with olive oil and parmesan
    Desert - 1/2 cup of full-fat greek yogurt with 2 squares of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

Calories - 2000 Net carbs 28g, Protein 111g, Fat 154g

If you are smaller than I am (200 lbs) and need less calories, make it a 2-egg omelet, 4oz salmon, 1 chicken thigh, a little less veg/salad dressing and you can easily get under 1500. To get to around 1300 cut out a snack or desert

Your "desert" is not an actual dessert. I would switch that for the afternoon snack, then have a real dessert.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Lunch - 6 oz roast salmon, large romain and tomato salad with 3 tbsp caesars dressing
    Dinner - 2 roasted chicken thighs with skin, 1 cup roasted cauliflower and 1 cup roasted broccoli with olive oil and parmesan
    Desert - 1/2 cup of full-fat greek yogurt with 2 squares of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

If you are smaller than I am (200 lbs) and need less calories, make it a 2-egg omelet, 4oz salmon, 1 chicken thigh, a little less veg/salad dressing and you can easily get under 1500. To get to around 1300 cut out a snack or desert

Your "desert" is not an actual dessert. I would switch that for the afternoon snack, then have a real dessert.

I knew I liked you. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Actual desserts have sugar, which isn't really allowed on this plan.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    ya this is great and everything but I'm not about to get stressed out because I have to avoid certain foods. Great for those who can do it, but it's just not sustainable for me and there are too many foods I would be missing out on.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    However, the vast majority of the 70million obese Americans are insulin resistant.

This sounds like propaganda from the paleo folks.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think you should probably just eat however you please, let everyone else eat however they please, and avoid claiming that there is only one way of 'doing it right'.

You'll probably find that the arguments vanish miraculously. No one gives a turd how you personally eat, we just get upset when it's claimed that certain nutrients and/or foods must be excluded for good health.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

meh

Looks pleasant enough, bit too much meat for my taste and it'd get pretty boring. If it works for you then that's fine.

Think I'll stick with eating what works for me...