To all the anti-low-carb folks, tell me this isn't healthy

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    This happens only if body can't produce insulin (usually type 1 diabetics), if the body can't produce insulin the patient has a bigger problem to worry about than low carb or low fat diet. The beta-hydroxybutyrate with diet alone can't go over 4.0-6.0. It needs to be over 15 for ketoacidosis, which is impossible from dietary ketosis. The body can easily manage a beta-hydroxybutyrate level of 1-3.0 with even little insulin. The Ketoacisodis is a rare and extreme condition even for Type 2 diabetic patients. Now you could argue that a low carb diet might lower the blood sugar, blood pressure and may cause imbalance in electrolytes for some but Ketoacidosis is not one them.

You keep saying you need to be diabetic. This isn't true. In addition to IR problems, it can also be invoked by malnutrition, pancreatitis and so on.

Find something decent on the anion gap , and something decent about the different between blood (serum) and urine levels of BHB.

You're running a keto diet. I get that you feel the need to defend it, but as I said in my first post about this the only thing I'm against is people running keto without the supervision of someone who knows what they're doing. Just because someone has read about it on the internet doesn't mean they can identify it and rectify it.

Its not about defending a diet. I don't care nor get hung up on the philosophy of low carb or low fat, just that its very rare for some one to get ketoacidosis with out type 1 diabetics. I have ton of doctors in my family who are not thrilled by my leto diet but they told me its very rare a diet will cause ketoacidosis.. You need excess glucose and unusually high amounts of ketones to cause that. We can agree to disagree but just because ketosis and ketoacidosis share same letters doesn't mean they are same.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go for it. I know I need more carbs personally, or I get dizzy.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-low carb at all. I generally only advocate a balanced diet, but if someone finds a low carb/keto diet to be sustainable for them, then I support their right to do whatever the hell they want. But I generally will not advocate it and I won't allow people to give the advice of "you need to cut carbs to lose weight" because it is completely untrue.

Me too.

IRL, I know people who actually think low carb is all you need for weight loss - with no regards to portion control or balance. Then they wonder why they aren't losing weight because they're "being good" (no "white" foods, no sugary snacks) and they're sad because they "can't" eat foods that they enjoy.
    That's not only not sustainable, it obviously doesn't work.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-low carb at all. I generally only advocate a balanced diet, but if someone finds a low carb/keto diet to be sustainable for them, then I support their right to do whatever the hell they want. But I generally will not advocate it and I won't allow people to give the advice of "you need to cut carbs to lose weight" because it is completely untrue.

Me too.

IRL, I know people who actually think low carb is all you need for weight loss - with no regards to portion control or balance. Then they wonder why they aren't losing weight because they're "being good" (no "white" foods, no sugary snacks) and they're sad because they "can't" eat foods that they enjoy.
    That's not only not sustainable, it obviously doesn't work.

Agree that i someone is eating 5000 calories of low-carb food they are not going to lose weight. However, my experience is that if someone is starting a low carb-high fat diet, they're better off not focusing on calories when they start. Once I have gone a week or two with low-carb/medium-protein/high-fat, my body starts burning body fat and hunger decreases and energy increases to such an extent that it is extremely easy to stay in a calorie deficit
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that carbohydrates are brain fuel. I could be wrong, though.

Glucose is one brain fuel, that can be eaten as itself or most carbohydrates or indeed made by the body. Ketones are another, used when carbohydrates are in short supply and also made by the body.

So you weren't wrong, but didn't have the whole picture.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It looks good, but I love my carbs. Sorry.

Yep. Me too.