To all the anti-low-carb folks, tell me this isn't healthy

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have seen a person or two say that low carb isn't healthy.

But the vast majority of people, myself included, say that low-carb isn't necessary for the vast majority of people.

well, in some aspects, its not healthy, but that can be said for any eating plan, but the majority of us just dont feel the need to deprive ourself! and yes, no matter how much you deny it, your deprived when eating low carb... at some point, everyone wants a cookie, a poptart, a slice of cake... its just not ideal for long term maintenance...

Low carb not NO carb. A low carb diet you can still have carb. A no carb diet it restrictive. I suggest many of you have NO idea what a diabetic eats.

A diabetic simply has to watch how many carbs in a single sitting.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not only healthy but delicious, filling, and an effective way to lose weight.

Breakfast - 3 egg omelet with spinach and green peppers
    Morning snack - 23 almonds (1 oz)
    Lunch - 6 oz roast salmon, large romain and tomato salad with 3 tbsp caesars dressing
    Afternoon snack - 2 slices salami and 1 oz cheddar cheese
    Dinner - 2 roasted chicken thighs with skin, 1 cup roasted cauliflower and 1 cup roasted broccoli with olive oil and parmesan
    Desert - 1/2 cup of full-fat greek yogurt with 2 squares of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

Calories - 2000 Net carbs 28g, Protein 111g, Fat 154g

If you are smaller than I am (200 lbs) and need less calories, make it a 2-egg omelet, 4oz salmon, 1 chicken thigh, a little less veg/salad dressing and you can easily get under 1500. To get to around 1300 cut out a snack or desert

Your "desert" is not an actual dessert. I would switch that for the afternoon snack, then have a real dessert.

Actual desserts have sugar, which isn't really allowed on this plan.

*sigh*

And hence the problem...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Looks like a fine day to me. Not sure about that dessert, but the rest looks fine. I ate ~100g carbs in my breakfast today, and I'm happy with that too.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor what to do since I am hooked on carbs and my sugar levels were up, asked her if I should do low carb diet, she said to just do smaller portions including veges and fruits and exercise and just have dessert rarely but don't deprive yourself or you will go off eating healthy.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I care because it's unnecessary misery, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it.

So because you were miserable that means all, or even most, would likewise be miserable?

Interesting logic.
    I have had friends in hospital with seizures on LC and seen what it can do to people's brain function.

And my aunt was morbidly obese from shoveling down endless high carb/high fat foods and died at a relatively young age in the middle of a hospital waiting room, gasping for breath.

What's your point?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Seizures from chronically low carbs (or no carbs) are usually because of unintended ketoacidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis in people who are undiagnosed/untreated diabetics/prediabetic. This is why I don't agree with keto diets being invoked without the supervision of a professional.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with low carb is that it basically forbids you from eating all sorts of foods that are perfectly fine to eat. I think it's unsustainable over the long term to never have a bowl of ice cream, a big slice of pie, a couple of California rolls, etc.

Who said we can't? If you can make it fit into your day, you can. I had ice cream cake last night for my hubby's birthday and I still managed to keep my carbs under 40.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Seizures from chronically low carbs (or no carbs) are usually because of unintended ketoacidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis in people who are undiagnosed/untreated diabetics/prediabetic. This is why I don't agree with keto diets being invoked without the supervision of a professional.

The nutritional Ketosis and Diabetic Ketosis are very different. ketoacidosis doesn't occur because some one is following a Keto diet. I know lot of diabetic folks who follow Keto diet with out side effects. Ketoacidois can occur due to injection of drugs like ecstasy and prolonged exercise, starvation and also if body has uninhibited ketone generation. Its usually type 1 Diabetics who are at risk of Ketoacidosis

Ketoacidosis occurs when the beta-hydroxybutyrate level is more than 15 usually around 20-25. The type 1 diabetic who don't have any insulin generation ability are the ones who suffer Ketoacidosis.
    The Dietery Ketosis even with consumption of less than 10-20 carbs per day will have beta-hydroxybutyrate level of 1.0-3.5.

There are many studies which talk about Nutritional Ketosis and Diabetic Ketoacidosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8911787
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I care because it's unnecessary misery, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it.

So because you were miserable that means all, or even most, would likewise be miserable?

Interesting logic.
    I have had friends in hospital with seizures on LC and seen what it can do to people's brain function.

And my aunt was morbidly obese from shoveling down endless food and died at a relatively young age in the middle of a hospital waiting room, gasping for breath.

What's your point?

FIFY.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    The nutritional Ketosis and Diabetic Ketosis are very different. ketoacidosis doesn't occur because some one is following a Keto diet. I know lot of diabetic folks who follow Keto diet with out side effects. Ketoacidois can occur due to injection of drugs like ecstasy and prolonged exercise, starvation and also if body has uninhibited ketone generation. Its usually type 1 Diabetics who are at risk of Ketoacidosis

Ketoacidosis occurs when the beta-hydroxybutyrate level is more than 15 usually around 20-25. The type 1 diabetic who don't have any insulin generation ability are the ones who suffer Ketoacidosis.
    The Dietery Ketosis even with consumption of less than 10-20 carbs per day will have beta-hydroxybutyrate level of 1.0-3.5.

There are many studies which talk about Nutritional Ketosis and Diabetic Ketoacidosis.

This I know, that's why I used the word "or".

It's not a condition dependent on being diabetic, it's just dependent on the body not producing enough insulin to counteract the elevated number of ketones. People who are commonly IR can have difficulties on keto diets and lapse into ketoacidosis because their ability to regulate, produce or respond to insulin is inhibited - such as people with PCOS (which affects a large number of women), and the metabolic syndrome.

In diabetics, DKA is obviously much more common and more likely.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    "Anti-low-carb folks"?

Looks around.

Meh, whatever.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Interesting logic.

And my aunt was morbidly obese from shoveling down endless food and died at a relatively young age in the middle of a hospital waiting room, gasping for breath.

What's your point?

FIFY.

:drinker:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It is hard to read this over the bowl of cereal I am eating...

But it looks like a good day. Is there a particular *reason* you want to be low carb??? Do you not like bread? Maybe you haven't had the right kind. I know a lot go good bakeries

:flowerforyou:

mmmmm bakery...

creme de la creme...

chocolate napoleon...

yummy!!!

cafe dumond in new orleans…boom awesome beignets!!!!!!

You had to mention those didn't you!!! I miss having those. Who is in for a trip to New Orleans??

Count me in.

NOLA is three hours down the road from me..so I am always in for a road trip to NOLA
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Not a theory. Science. That's how every weight loss diet works. I'm not talking a few weeks of water loss, then a calorie deficit from cutting carbs, which is how a lot of diets that cut out carbs works.

Very simplified science, it doesn't take in to account how your body reacts to different types of foods and how it impacts the fat metabolism. There are many variables which might impact calorie in and calorie out theory depending on your body. In broad sense, yes you can apply first law of thermodynamics and say calories are important but its very small part of the overall picture.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

What works for others may not work for some one else despite eating same calories, the secret is figuring out what works.

anyone who creates a calorie deficit will lose weight, period.

unless of course you live in a parallel universe that defies that basic laws of math and thermodynamics...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Calories - 2000 Net carbs 28g, Protein 111g, Fat 154g

I would be absolutely miserable on that. I run 30km+ and cycle 100km+ every week, I'd crash and burn in a matter of days if I tried eating like that.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Interesting logic.

What's your point?

FIFY.

No, you didn't fix anything for me.

Unless you were intimately acquainted with my morbidly obese aunt's diet? Trust me, the woman didn't perish gorging on baked chicken, green beans, and raw strawberries.

The point being, anybody using ANY food improperly can face consequences. Whether it's my aunt, or the woman's seizuring friend (which is interesting considering a ketogenic diet is prescribed to epileptic children to reduce and stop seizures).
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Interesting logic.

What's your point?

FIFY.

No, you didn't fix anything for me.

Unless you were intimately acquainted with my morbidly obese aunt's diet? Trust me, the woman didn't perish gorging on baked chicken, green beans, and raw strawberries.

The point being, anybody using ANY food improperly can face consequences. Whether it's my aunt, or the woman's seizuring friend (which is interesting considering a ketogenic diet is prescribed to epileptic children to reduce and stop seizures).

Then we agree: eating too much causes obesity.

This reminds me...
    I knew a woman who used food improperly.
    She seemed to think a cucumber was a good substitute for a boyfriend.
    Bad break up. Very very bad.
    cucumber.jpg
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

This I know, that's why I used the word "or".

It's not a condition dependent on being diabetic, it's just dependent on the body not producing enough insulin to counteract the elevated number of ketones. People who are commonly IR can have difficulties on keto diets and lapse into ketoacidosis because their ability to regulate, produce or respond to insulin is inhibited - such as people with PCOS (which affects a large number of women), and the metabolic syndrome.

In diabetics, DKA is obviously much more common and more likely.

This happens only if body can't produce insulin (usually type 1 diabetics), if the body can't produce insulin the patient has a bigger problem to worry about than low carb or low fat diet. The beta-hydroxybutyrate with diet alone can't go over 4.0-6.0. It needs to be over 15 for ketoacidosis, which is impossible from dietary ketosis. The body can easily manage a beta-hydroxybutyrate level of 1-3.0 with even little insulin. The Ketoacisodis is a rare and extreme condition even for Type 2 diabetic patients. Now you could argue that a low carb diet might lower the blood sugar, blood pressure and may cause imbalance in electrolytes for some but Ketoacidosis is not one them.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-low carb at all. I generally only advocate a balanced diet, but if someone finds a low carb/keto diet to be sustainable for them, then I support their right to do whatever the hell they want. But I generally will not advocate it and I won't allow people to give the advice of "you need to cut carbs to lose weight" because it is completely untrue.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    This happens only if body can't produce insulin (usually type 1 diabetics), if the body can't produce insulin the patient has a bigger problem to worry about than low carb or low fat diet. The beta-hydroxybutyrate with diet alone can't go over 4.0-6.0. It needs to be over 15 for ketoacidosis, which is impossible from dietary ketosis. The body can easily manage a beta-hydroxybutyrate level of 1-3.0 with even little insulin. The Ketoacisodis is a rare and extreme condition even for Type 2 diabetic patients. Now you could argue that a low carb diet might lower the blood sugar, blood pressure and may cause imbalance in electrolytes for some but Ketoacidosis is not one them.

You keep saying you need to be diabetic. This isn't true. In addition to IR problems, it can also be invoked by malnutrition, pancreatitis and so on.

Find something decent on the anion gap , and something decent about the different between blood (serum) and urine levels of BHB.

You're running a keto diet. I get that you feel the need to defend it, but as I said in my first post about this the only thing I'm against is people running keto without the supervision of someone who knows what they're doing. Just because someone has read about it on the internet doesn't mean they can identify it and rectify it.