Who are we losing weight for... Really?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I did it to become a better motorcyclist. Now I'm down 135 lbs and way better.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    To reply to the question though - for my health. Last year I lost my mum to cancer of the peritoneum. I have her physique. I don't want this happening to me, I want to live for my husband and daughter and sister, and for myself, I want to enjoy hikes again and learn to bike and skate. And, in the end, at 37 years and 108 kg I realized There is no one, no one who will "take care of me" or make my life better, if not me. As much as they love me, it's not in their power, it's in mine.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I cannot imaging losing weight for anybody else but me. I am the one who has to live with myself for the rest of my life.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I do it for me. I'm much more confident. I like me more.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    3 weeks now. 3 weeks I've been weighing **** out and calorie counting. I've been jogging every day too. I feel great. I've lost nearly a stone. But I'm thinking who am I really losing the weight for?
    Of course we all say 'it's for me' - but aren't we all doing it really so we feel sexy and acceptable? Acceptable to magazine ideals, to people we wish would love us if only we lost a few, etc...
    It's all bull**** really, isn't it? We are the same however much we weigh - it's our minds and personalities that matter. Someone who is un-sexy and irritating at 18 stone will still be the same at 12 stone, there's just less of them to be irritated by?

Repost in three years...you will have answered your own question. :flowerforyou:
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this to lower my risk of getting the health issues that have already affected my family -- heart attack, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc... I'm doing this so my knees won't hurt when I walk, so I don't get tired walking across the street or up a flight of stairs... I'm doing this to have more energy, strength, endurance and an overall better quality of life. This is all for me.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for me.

I'm doing it so I look sexy... to what MY standard of sexy is FOR ME.

So I look acceptable... to what MY standard of acceptable is FOR ME.

So yup, I am actually doing it for me... REALLY.

The hell would I do it for anyone else? There's only one person I am guaranteed to live with for the rest of my life... MYSELF, and so that is the only person that must be satisfied with me - ME.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I want to be fit enough to run away with the Doctor!

Seriously tho, it started as an experiment, just to see what my body was capable of (serious illness + ten years of using it as an excuse)
    It's carried on because I love the attention it gets me, I love wearing the most inappropriate clothes because I am now concidered 'thin enough to get away with it'
    Now I am head over heels with someone I don't want to allow my insecurities to ruin this so I need to feel as good about myself as possible.
    Yeah, it's all pretty shallow. I was happy when I was big but this is way more fun!
    You can flame me but at least I am honest, and to be fair, there are worse ways to address my constant need for attention than being a gym bunny!
  • AmberLeighD
    Options
    I woke up one day and realized that I wasn't caring for the vessel God gave me, and I feel ashamed.

I was given this body to serve him, and at the time I was well over 300lbs.

I realized I was no living the quality of life that was healthy for me, and I wanted to play soccer with my girl in
    the back yard, and chase her around the house, I wanted to be the best I could for that little girl God trusted me with.

I also have a fiance that I'd like to keep up with, and I have plenty of family health scares to match the ones mentioned already on this thread. My daddy died at 56 due to diabetes. A really close friend at 44 died due to complications from weight issues.

So I am doing this for God, to show Him that I appreciate this life He gave me, and I am ready to be the vessel He needs.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Well yeah I want to look good but it's more than just that though that sure doesn't hurt lol. When I take care of my health and keep my weight down I just feel so much better in general. I sleep better, I have more energy, I don't feel bloated and blah-like . I can have an active lifestyle and do things I enjoy like run, bike, hike because I'm fit enough to do them...and I take pride when I reach fitness goals and milestones. You bet I'm not going to be that girl who cant do a single pushup I'm going to be one cranking out 150 and running those 7 and under minute miles. Bring it on! Lol
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for several reasons. Overall health, energy levels and feeling better. To shrink my breasts maybe, cause those suckers are too big and may have caused my upper back scoliosis according to the doc. They did get a little smaller when I got to 130 lbs once. I want to be healthy when I get pregnant both in weight and food choices. And I want to be happy with myself, and finally feel good about my appearance.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The ability to wear better pants.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Mostly for me. I didn't like my body, and how unfit I was. If the reason I didn't like my body was because of social pressure or magazines, fine, but I didn't lose weight to fit in. I still had friends and a long term relationship despite my weight.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Interesting question to ponder. I have lost weight for my health, even though I really love looking as good as or better than my friends and fellow employees. I have a bad heart valve that has already been fixed once in a surgery that was really tough to recover from. I'm also diabetic. I saw my mom with a really poor quality of life her last couple of years and I didn't want to end up that way. I'm doing all I can to get more healthy. I want to LIVE until I die.

But fat or not, I'm still the same person. I teach elementary music in school and interestingly enough, I've never had a comment from a student about my huge body change (89 lbs). I don't think they actually notice - even the 5th graders who've known me for years. They accept me as I am.
  • kschlap
    kschlap Posts: 15
    Options
    I think that everybody is more tolerant of thin good looking people than fat people. I know for a fact that I'm much more pleasant to be around when I'm heavier, and much more arrogant and just plain mean when I'm thin. But when I'm thin I get many more compliments about how I look and have a much higher percent attraction rate with the opposite sex. Thus I try to stay in a constant state of remaining thin. If not for the opposite sex, I think I'd just be a big fat guy who sat in an apartment all day eating pizza and chocolate.
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly losing weight for me I don't feel like I was before and want to be able to get back into my sports again. However I understand why people do it for others but if you can't be happy with who you are you can't expect others to be happy around you.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for me
    I want to live to be the cool grandma
    I want to be healthy have a full head of silver curly hair
    I want to be the crazy old lady who power walks down the block in velvet track pants that are hot pink
    I want to grow old with my hubs
    I want to see my youngest grow up and find his way in the world
    I want to live long enough to enjoy the success of the worlds greatest Lego Engineer(my4th son)
    I want to see my 2nd son become a world famous cartoonist

basically I do not want to die of heart disease or any other vascular disorder
    I do not want to suffer the complications of diabetes

the losing weight is a side effect
    I am already hot and confident I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight for myself and my health. I have a wonderful husband and beautiful kids. I don't need to impress anyone, but when I looked in the mirror...I wasn't happy.

That was 35 pounds ago...I lost that weight last year.

I love where I am now, I feel comfortable and confident. I am just getting back to eating healthy and exercising...if I lose more weight...then that is fine.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this to feel sexy, I wasn't overweight or unhealthy before I started doing this.

But to be perfectly clear, I'm doing it so I feel sexier for me. Not so others will think I'm sexy.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I want to lose weight for me, yeah to be sexy, and to be healthy, and to have an easier time buying pants, and because all of my friends are tiny beautiful hipsters.
    No one else cares that I've gotten pudgier the last few years, but I do.