BEST weight loss advice!!!!! Simple & easy

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In my experience (kidney disease runs in my family), people who under medical care and are on high does of corticosteroids get puffy.
    Their doctors should tell them to expect that.
    I would think it would be a bit odd for them to post on a forum that they are having trouble with fitting into their skinny jeans, knowing full well that it's a side effect of their medication.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

You started lifting heavy things while still eating at a deficit and stopped losing weight? Forever? Really?

Well gosh, it's only been about a month since I started, but even after a month one might start to wonder why the calories in/out thing has "stopped" working. That equation didn't mention anything about plateaus, did it?

So, maybe it isn't just as simple as the OPs equations. There are more ifs, ands, or buts (butts hurt apparently) to the equation.

I am not saying the basic equation is wrong. But there is more to know than just that.

Would you not agree?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There are some people who have medical issues or are on meds that mess with their ability to lose weight... However, I think most people don't lose because they are underestimating the number of calories they consume. It's easy to do!

Actually, I've always wondered about the meds thing. It seems that people say "LAW says: calories in vs. calories out, no exception" UNTIL there's talk of certain birth control pills or oral steroids, etc. So, what happens with those drugs--do they just cause the people to eat more without them knowing it, or does it make them sit on the couch more without them noticing? (Serious question; no snark)

Calories out > calories in - it's not that simple.

Steroids and birth control pills are actually made of hormones which cause the body to store fat. Some medications also cause the body to retain water, salt and fat, all of which will cause weight gain, or at least an inability to lose.

I haven't noticed anyone mentioning age, either. I don't care what the commercials say, as we age our metabolism slows. We can combat it to some extent with exercise - but ask any gerontologist - it isn't a perfect solution. As we age our ability to taste food changes as well, which is why a 40 y/o will typically want more spiciness than a 20 y/o (of course, the taste buds may crave it but it doesn't mean the stomach will tolerate it - lol.) Really elderly people usually eat very little because food does not taste good to them anymore. Because of the metabolism slowdown, though, they have increased body fat.

Women, regardless of age, typically have a more difficult time losing weight than men, because female hormones are made to hold on to fat. This prepares the body for childbearing. For some reason, the female body goes into fat accumulating/muscle wasting/bone squandering overdrive when women go into menopause.

Type 2 diabetics, because of the insulin resistance, also have a harder time losing weight regardless of calorie intake - output. Insulin is a hormone.

BTW, I'm a registered nurse an have been almost 20 years now, and a former diabetes educator.

But non of that invalidates the equation of eat less than you burn to lose weight, does it? No.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You started lifting heavy things while still eating at a deficit and stopped losing weight? Forever? Really?

Well gosh, it's only been about a month since I started, but even after a month one might start to wonder why the calories in/out thing has "stopped" working. That equation didn't mention anything about plateaus, did it?

So, maybe it isn't just as simple as the OPs equations. There are more ifs, ands, or buts (butts hurt apparently) to the equation.

I am not saying the basic equation is wrong. But there is more to know than just that.

Would you not agree?

Uh...none of what you said invalidates the equation at all. It is a simple equation. No one said it is necessarily EASY to figure out your calories in calories out.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree that the formula is simple, but I think it can be complicated for each individual to figure out his or her own weight loss "sweet spot" because the calculations are estimates. Just because scooby says you should lose weight on 1700 calories per day doesn't mean that you will.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Would you not agree?

The scale doesn't just show fat loss, but it includes water weight changes which vary based on sodium intake and retention for muscle repair. As much as you want to complicate it, and get frustrated at the scale (everyone does at some point), the formula works. Just stick with it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Would you not agree?

When you start lifting your muscles store water within the muscle tissue to aid repair of the tissue which causes the scale to stop moving. It's not a true plateau, it's just water weight masking losses. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to resolve for people who are doing a serious heavy lifting program. Your situation should resolve soon.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I agree that the formula is simple, but I think it can be complicated for each individual to figure out his or her own weight loss "sweet spot" because the calculations are estimates. Just because scooby says you should lose weight on 1700 calories per day doesn't mean that you will.
    Oh my gosh, someone finally understands what we're trying to say. :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    There are some people who have medical issues or are on meds that mess with their ability to lose weight... However, I think most people don't lose because they are underestimating the number of calories they consume. It's easy to do!

Actually, I've always wondered about the meds thing. It seems that people say "LAW says: calories in vs. calories out, no exception" UNTIL there's talk of certain birth control pills or oral steroids, etc. So, what happens with those drugs--do they just cause the people to eat more without them knowing it, or does it make them sit on the couch more without them noticing? (Serious question; no snark)

Steroids and birth control pills are actually made of hormones which cause the body to store fat. Some medications also cause the body to retain water, salt and fat, all of which will cause weight gain, or at least an inability to lose.

I haven't noticed anyone mentioning age, either. I don't care what the commercials say, as we age our metabolism slows. We can combat it to some extent with exercise - but ask any gerontologist - it isn't a perfect solution. As we age our ability to taste food changes as well, which is why a 40 y/o will typically want more spiciness than a 20 y/o (of course, the taste buds may crave it but it doesn't mean the stomach will tolerate it - lol.) Really elderly people usually eat very little because food does not taste good to them anymore. Because of the metabolism slowdown, though, they have increased body fat.

Women, regardless of age, typically have a more difficult time losing weight than men, because female hormones are made to hold on to fat. This prepares the body for childbearing. For some reason, the female body goes into fat accumulating/muscle wasting/bone squandering overdrive when women go into menopause.

Type 2 diabetics, because of the insulin resistance, also have a harder time losing weight regardless of calorie intake - output. Insulin is a hormone.

BTW, I'm a registered nurse an have been almost 20 years now, and a former diabetes educator.

All of the above only affects the numbers in the formula, not the formula itself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

All of the above only affects the numbers in the formula, not the formula itself.
    Yup.
  • GummyHuman
    Options

When you start lifting your muscles store water within the muscle tissue to aid repair of the tissue which causes the scale to stop moving. It's not a true plateau, it's just water weight masking losses. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to resolve for people who are doing a serious heavy lifting program. Your situation should resolve soon.

The scale doesn't just show fat loss, but it includes water weight changes which vary based on sodium intake and retention for muscle repair. As much as you want to complicate it, and get frustrated at the scale (everyone does at some point), the formula works. Just stick with it.

Hey Guys,

I am aware of this, because I do a lot of reading (and I do use the search function). I am not worried about the number on the scale. But for someone who doesn't, you can see how that equation might be a bit simplified.

I definitely would not say it is incorrect, but can you all not see that it is too oversimplified for people who obviously don't "get it"?

Weight loss is dependent on calories in/out, BUT there might be times of plateau when you need to readjust AND there might be reasons that the scale doesn't show a loss, and IF you have a medical condition you may get different results from the scale than you might be able to normally expect.

There was an ex-marine lady who posted a blanket info thread not too long ago. Can't remember her name but she has awesome abs. That thread had SO much helpful info and really broke things down to the basics, and somehow she managed not to call anyone stupid or minimize the difficulty people have with losing weight.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Hey Guys,

I am aware of this, because I do a lot of reading (and I do use the search function). I am not worried about the number on the scale. But for someone who doesn't, you can see how that equation might be a bit simplified.

I definitely would not say it is incorrect, but can you all not see that it is too oversimplified for people who obviously don't "get it"?

Weight loss is dependent on calories in/out, BUT there might be times of plateau when you need to readjust AND there might be reasons that the scale doesn't show a loss, and IF you have a medical condition you may get different results from the scale than you might be able to normally expect.

There was an ex-marine lady who posted a blanket info thread not to long ago. Can't remember her name but she has awesome abs. That thread had SO much helpful info and really broke things down to the basics, and somehow she managed not to call anyone stupid or minimize the difficulty people have with losing weight.

USMCMP. She is incredible.

We all tend to complicate things, and when things go off and we do hit a plateau, patience is often the best advice. These "simple" reminder threads are good for hammering that home.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Would you not agree?

The equation doesn't stop working, the numbers do. The equation remains the same. The issue is that most people think that they can just use the same numbers the whole way through and it's going to work, without considering that the factors used to determine the deficit have changed.

For example, as you lose weight, your BMR lowers. You also burn fewer calories during exercise because there's less mass to move around, and your body has adapted to the routine and become more efficient. You also have to decrease your deficit as you lose weight, because you can only have so much of a deficit before you risk screwing up your metabolism.

Most of the people complaining about plateaus or stalled weight loss haven't looked at the input/output numbers to make sure they are accurate. Then we end up with a huge special snowflake argument because the person wants to say the formula is wrong instead of looking at the data to pinpoint the problem.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Hey Guys,

There was an ex-marine lady who posted a blanket info thread not too long ago. Can't remember her name but she has awesome abs. That thread had SO much helpful info and really broke things down to the basics, and somehow she managed not to call anyone stupid or minimize the difficulty people have with losing weight.

I definitely never said it wasn't oversimplified. It's true (with the exception of people with metabolic diseases), but it's meaningless to people until they understand how the intricacies apply to their own situation. This is why I invited people to start their own threads to help them figure out what is standing in the way.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Calories out > calories in ---> Weight loss

Calories out = calories in ---> Maintain weight

Calories out < Calories in ---> Weight gain

That's all. This should get rid of 99% of stupid posts of people complaining they are not losing weight even though they are at a deficit....
    Yep, problem solved. MFP can shut down the forums now that they are no longer needed.
  • GummyHuman
    Options
    The issue is that most people think that they can just use the same numbers the whole way through and it's going to work, without considering that the factors used to determine the deficit have changed.

For example, as you lose weight, your BMR lowers. You also burn fewer calories during exercise because there's less mass to move around, and your body has adapted to the routine and become more efficient. You also have to decrease your deficit as you lose weight, because you can only have so much of a deficit before you risk screwing up your metabolism.

So, you're saying that there's a little more to know than calories in/out. Got it!
    Then we end up with a huge special snowflake argument because the person wants to say the formula is wrong instead of looking at the data to pinpoint the problem.

I understand for sure. This site is swarming with people with one post asking the same questions over and over again. And the world is filled with people who think that they are special snowflakes ("delicate flowers" as I refer to them) that laws, rules and equations don't apply to. Those aren't really people you can help anyway. Those people won't even look at this thread.

This thread was about making a point and the point wasn't to help anyone. I get it.
  • GummyHuman
    Options

I definitely never said it wasn't oversimplified. It's true (with the exception of people with metabolic diseases), but it's meaningless to people until they understand how the intricacies apply to their own situation. This is why I invited people to start their own threads to help them figure out what is standing in the way.

You're another one I have learned a lot from. Thanks for taking the time to "complicate" things a little in your posts. :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    The best analogy to describe the oversimplification of this OP is that it's like the laws of physics. You go to college, sit down in your freshman lecture, and are given these simple, immutable laws on the first day. They explain everything and nothing at the same time. If being given the law was enough, that would be the end of the physics courses...but instead you spend 2 or 3 semesters figuring out how these simple laws actually apply to everything.
  • GummyHuman
    Options

USMCMP. She is incredible.

Yes, that's her, and I agree.
  • GummyHuman
    Options
    The best analogy to describe the oversimplification of this OP is that it's like the laws of physics. You go to college, sit down in your freshman lecture, and are given these simple, immutable laws on the first day. They explain everything and nothing at the same time. If being given the law was enough, that would be the end of the physics courses...but instead you spend 2 or 3 semesters figuring out how these simple laws actually apply to everything.

Perfect analogy.