How to kick a fast food addiction?

Options
Ok...so I think I've kicked my soda habit as it's been almost a month and I don't crave it...so that's something to be happy about! But I believe I'm seriously addicted to fast food. I did good for about two weeks but one little slip has turned into a downward spiral. I'm trying not to lose focus and keep on going but this is a cycle I'm desperately trying to kick. How do I get past this addiction? Help!!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Not, sure, I did the opposite and embraced fast food. Now I am losing weight like crazy.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Moderation, maybe? I still eat fast food once or twice a week. Some people rat it every day and are successful in health and weight loss. It's all about balance. Maybe find some things on the menu lower calories than usual? Like, I really enjoy the grilled Mcwraps from McDonald's.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Not, sure, I did the opposite and embraced fast food. Now I am losing weight like crazy.

this.

why kick it at all?
    for me, that leads to misery and lots of crying.
    if i feel like i want fast food, i just make it fit into my day. *shrug*

try it! :flowerforyou:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Once a week fast food gives me an easy dinner and a cleansing all in one.... especially white castle or sonic chili dogs. Kind of like a 2 for 1 deal. Good luck though
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make better choices at the fast food place? It's what I did... then I figured I could make the same thing at home, but more filling and tastier.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I still eat fast food sometimes, just don't over do it :)
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I try to recreate healthy versions of fast foods at home that I like and fit it into my calorie goals. For instance I used to be obsessed with Taco Bell but now I just make Taco's at home so I can portion what I am eating and use healthier ingredients. You can still eat fast food if you want but limit the intake with willpower and planning ahead of time.
  • hello_momo
    hello_momo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    moderation.. portion control.. i know sometimes it's hard to fit it into the daily cals since most items are like 500+ cals. if i'm craving something i'll get the smallest size or only eat half the normal portion. like literally give the other half away immediately or toss it. LOL.. if i try to cut it out completely i know i'll binge. but i have noticed that the less i indulge, the less i crave it.
  • hello_momo
    hello_momo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to recreate healthy versions of fast foods at home that I like and fit it into my calorie goals. For instance I used to be obsessed with Taco Bell but now I just make Taco's at home so I can portion what I am eating and use healthier ingredients. You can still eat fast food if you want but limit the intake with willpower and planning ahead of time.

yes, and tacos at home taste SO much better!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I really wish people wouldn't use the word "addiction" so lightly. I really doubt you are addicted to fast food. Sure you make like it, you may crave it, but you are not addicted to it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

meat
    lettuce
    tomato
    sour cream
    taco shell
    shredded cheese

i dont get it...whats unhealthy?
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options

meat
    lettuce
    tomato
    sour cream
    taco shell
    shredded cheese

Well for starters Taco Bell has a ridiculously high sodium count because all of the ingredients are pre-packaged and come in bags--- look behind the counter when they are refilling there vats.
  • scronen
    scronen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I really wish people wouldn't use the word "addiction" so lightly. I really doubt you are addicted to fast food. Sure you make like it, you may crave it, but you are not addicted to it.

I asked for help/suggestions...not criticism.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    just.stop.going.

COOK
    Cook
    and
    cook some more.
  • wheird
    Options

meat
    lettuce
    tomato
    sour cream
    taco shell
    shredded cheese

Well for starters Taco Bell has a ridiculously high sodium count because all of the ingredients are pre-packaged and come in bags--- look behind the counter when they are refilling there vats.

Um. What is wrong with high sodium? And what does a bag have to do with sodium?

Most of the sodium would be from the meat.

Also, just because you spit out the word "vats" does not make it OHNOES status.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    THIS.

A true addict would take high risks to fulfill their addictions including stealing, robbery, using dirty needles, squandering assets, and endanger their/family health.

Would you eat fast food after I sprinkled dog poo on it? If yes, then maybe your are addicted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wheird
    Options

My suggestion is that it need not be avoided and you can easily make it part of a healthy diet if you are prudent with your choices.
  • mattgrenier9
    mattgrenier9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Honestly fast food is not the greatest for you but don't make yourself suffer by not eating it, we all have cravings and it is normal to indulge your cravings every once in a while, just don't over due it! Also congrats on giving up soda! I seriously believe soda is what made me an overweight child because I drank it like it was water
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

It's not a criticism. You have a habitual craving for it. Habits can be changed, addictions are usually forever.

Let me just say, that there isn't any "evil" food out there. Totally shutting it out of your diet will likely make you crave it more if you like it. Take the approach of "fitting" a little in your diet when you want some.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scronen
    scronen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Omg...sorry for putting myself out there and asking for help. Sorry for using the word "addiction". I won't let it happen again.