How to kick a fast food addiction?

Options

Replies

• mattgrenier9
    mattgrenier9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Some fast food does have addictive additives, if you have ever seen the documentary "Super Size Me" there is a scene where the guy , who's name escapes me right now, who has been eating McDonald's for a week or so at this point is going through minor withdrawal and only feels happy when he is eating McDonald's. Now this is not as serious of a form of addiction like drug use is but it is still a sign of addiction. Also it should be know that there are two forms of addiction psychological and physical. Most addictions are mostly if not all psychological where the brain feels like it needs something to make it happy, this is common with drugs like Coke, on the other hand opiates usually cause a physical addiction meaning that the drug causes the body to stop producing certain neurotransmitters. This can lead to a withdrawal that if can kill someone if they quit cold turkey.

wait a minute. so you mean to tell me that a guy who has only pledged to eat McDonald's for 30 days gets unhappy when he doesn't eat and then happier when he does? sounds like a case of being hangry to me...
    Haha but when you only crave the golden arches after eating it for a week there is something wrong
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Some fast food does have addictive additives, if you have ever seen the documentary "Super Size Me" there is a scene where the guy , who's name escapes me right now, who has been eating McDonald's for a week or so at this point is going through minor withdrawal and only feels happy when he is eating McDonald's. Now this is not as serious of a form of addiction like drug use is but it is still a sign of addiction. Also it should be know that there are two forms of addiction psychological and physical. Most addictions are mostly if not all psychological where the brain feels like it needs something to make it happy, this is common with drugs like Coke, on the other hand opiates usually cause a physical addiction meaning that the drug causes the body to stop producing certain neurotransmitters. This can lead to a withdrawal that if can kill someone if they quit cold turkey.

wait a minute. so you mean to tell me that a guy who has only pledged to eat McDonald's for 30 days gets unhappy when he doesn't eat and then happier when he does? sounds like a case of being hangry to me...
    Haha but when you only crave the golden arches after eating it for a week there is something wrong

I ate Mcdonalds nearly everyday for two weeks and still craved other things. Methinks the guy had an agenda.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I really wish people wouldn't use the word "addiction" so lightly. I really doubt you are addicted to fast food. Sure you make like it, you may crave it, but you are not addicted to it.

I asked for help/suggestions...not criticism.

I had a response for you, but I've lost all desire to help with this response.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1. Stop thinking of it as an addiction.
    2. Eat to reasonable macro levels in an overall reasonable calorie limit.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

LOLdocumentary.

Real documentaries don't use fake math.
  • mattgrenier9
    Options

I ate Mcdonalds nearly everyday for two weeks and still craved other things. Methinks the guy had an agenda.
    Lol there probably is some truth to this, I mean he was getting paid to eat just McDonald's. And if what you say is true that you ate McDonald's everyday for two weeks than you are a better man than I. Don't get me wrong I like and sometimes love my fast food. But I have never been a huge fan of McDonald's. They have the best coca cola but besides that the food is not the greatest in my opinion
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

I suggest learning a bit more.
  • MandyLC2014
    MandyLC2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Original Poster:

Keep your head high. If you want someone who can speak from experience...it absolutely can be an addition. Scientifically proven, some fatty/high in carbohydrates can trigger a cocaine-like addiction in some people. I mean, there's even been research done pertaining to the out of control consumption of food related to the pain reduction centers which focus on the serotonin mechanisms in the brain. So all of you who are saying, "you're wrong for calling it an addiction", it very well may be. Take a peek and learn before you criticize or tell someone they're not calling it what it is - http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/scientific-research/physical-craving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/.

Next, OP, if you feel it's really out of control, I encourage you to see professional help. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you...it just means that there is something going on with you that you need a bit of help with.

If you don't think it's an actual...addiction per say...then maybe start by reducing the times you get fast food per week. Then you can start making healthier alternatives at home.

Please add me as a friend. I've been there...I'm here to chat! Peace.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You could try limiting yourself to a couple of fast food meals a week and keep within your calorie range. Then one a week. Then one every other week. Then one a month. At the same time, learn to cook a new thing each week.

Once you perfect the burger at home, you'll never think a McDonalds burger is worth it. If I eat fast food it's something I can't make better at home, like an Italian beef or a Chicago-style hot dog. I do that once every couple of months.
  • mattgrenier9
    Options

About certain fast foods being an addiction or about addictions in general
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I believe in moderation (I think) but if you can't handle even a little fast food, maybe you do need to say goodbye to it. Maybe it's like addictions and you need to write off the substance. Just my .02.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love how people watch an hour and half long documentary yet won't spend 10 minutes doing a google search to learn about the truth behind said documentary. I blame Netflix....
  • MandyLC2014
    Options
    I love how people watch an hour and half long documentary yet won't spend 10 minutes doing a google search to learn about the truth behind said documentary. I blame Netflix....

Or they could just do research on the REAL issue...you know...the REAL research out there. The REAL research centers that spend MILLIONS of dollars every year trying to figure this stuff out. Just sayin'.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Addiction.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Or they could just do research on the REAL issue...you know...the REAL research out there. The REAL research centers that spend MILLIONS of dollars every year trying to figure this stuff out. Just sayin'.

No one wants to read medical journals or anything to do with science, mathematics or reason. That's stuff is overrated. I put my stock in late night infomercials.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options

No one wants to read medical journals or anything to do with science, mathematics or reason. That's stuff is overrated. I put my stock in late night infomercials.

Agreed, I stand by my wikipedia and youtube research. :happy:
  • MandyLC2014
    Options

Hahaha!
  • sunhex
    sunhex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

I can empathize with you! I work full time and have three small children, so to avoid eating fast food I prepare and cook food on the weekends.

For example, this weekend I made broccoli/cheese/rice casserole, apple crisp, sloppy joe mix, and vegetable and cheese soup.

I make a big salad 2x a week of lettuce, red cabbage, and carrots and store in the fridge in a tupperware container with a damp paper towel. It keeps well and then it is very easy to have a salad every night.

I also almost always serve some type of frozen vegetable. Very quick on the stove or the microwave and tasty with tsp or so of butter.

I also keep on hand a variety of fresh fruits such as bananas, oranges, and apples. I also splurge on prewashed berry trays (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries) which my kids devour.

For snacks, I keep stocked greek yogurt, a variety of nuts, Larabars, and popcorn (easy in the air popper and delicious with a little butter).

I hope some of this helps you and good luck!
  • mattgrenier9
    Options

Addiction.
    That is sort of funny because my knowledge of addiction comes from an actual psychologist who diagnosed my cousin with a physiological addiction to Cocaine in which he overcame through rehab. Now because he was addicted to Cocaine an addiction that is psychological he was not given any Cocaine unlike the opiate addicts who were weaned off of there physical addiction because if they quit without doing so their physical dependency on the drug would of killed them
  • mattgrenier9
    Options
    Sadly I did read those medical journals because I went to a class called psychology. Now if the documentary has false evidence than this is the first I am hearing of it