How to kick a fast food addiction?

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You could try this process in changing your compulsive eating:

1) Give yourself absolute mental permission to eat what you want, when you want and in whatever quantities you want (this relives a feeling of deprivation but doesn't mean you necessarily have to act on this permission.)

2) When it comes to eating a fast food meal then decide before hand how much you intend to eat. If that intended eating meets your calorie plan then just eat and enjoy.

3) If you find however that you are intending to eat more than is necessary because you feel compelled to do so then tell yourself mentally that you are choosing to satisfy your compulsion because it provides you temporary pleasure. HOWEVER also tell yourself that you choose to accept the downsides as well including lack of energy, increased likelihood of weight gain, headaches or whatever downsides you strongly feel are associated with excess weight. (The concept of telling yourself you are choosing to do so is important.)

You may find over time that your eating of fast food unconsciously lessens if you consciously follow this process for a while.

Many times fast food falls into the category of "forbidden fruit". This gives it artificial power and value. When you take that power away you may find that you don't actually enjoy it that much in reality.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    <
    lost almost 60lbs while eating fast food 3-4 times a week. Now maintaining that loss while still eating out 3-4 times a week. I like fast food and I'll keep eating it, all while being healthy, happy, and rocking my size 2 skinny jeans :drinker:
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Omg...sorry for putting myself out there and asking for help. Sorry for using the word "addiction". I won't let it happen again.

Don't worry about it. Just dump the stuff that you find personally unhelpful and move on. It's okay to want to improve the quality of the food you eat. Fast food used to be my most available source of nutrition. I stopped eating fast food by making sure I had access to more nutritious food. The lower calorie options at most fast food places are disgusting to me with a few exceptions. After a few weeks, I don't really miss burritos and burgers anymore. I'm really enjoying the energy that I get from eating cleaner.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I reduced my intake after educating myself on the kinds of products they use. I'm not a vegan, or a vegetarian, but I like to consume meat that is organic and reared and killed in the kindest possible way. So I won't eat chicken from KFC because I know they only use chicken from intense farming, which use fattier birds, and treat them badly.

Instead I buy organic and free range meats and make my own 'fakeaways' whenever possible. This has also reduced my meat consumption because organic and free range is expensive! I can easily pay £7 for two chicken breasts ($11-$12).

I'd far rather make my own burgers from organic lean beef mince (ground?) than go to McDonalds and eat their 'beef' (i.e. all the bits you wouldn't feed your dog) that has been intensely farmed and cows fed a ton of stuff you don't want in your food chain.

Aldi do whole free range chickens for £4.99 - so you get two breasts, plus all the other delicious bits!
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Honestly it seems like I have to quit cold turkey. If I go, I have no control and get whatever I want (even if it is awful for me). Good luck.
  • wonderbolt_in_training
    Options
    I had a serious fast food addiction. That coupled with binging honestly might have killed me.

But I developed a gluten allergy and suddenly it was all off-limits. I just had to stop, I didn't have a choice. Now if I want fast food it has to be Chipotle or something similar.

Pretend you have a gluten allergy.

GOOD LUCK!
  • sneaks
    sneaks Posts: 19
    Options
    I reduced my intake after educating myself on the kinds of products they use. I'm not a vegan, or a vegetarian, but I like to consume meat that is organic and reared and killed in the kindest possible way. So I won't eat chicken from KFC because I know they only use chicken from intense farming, which use fattier birds, and treat them badly.

Instead I buy organic and free range meats and make my own 'fakeaways' whenever possible. This has also reduced my meat consumption because organic and free range is expensive! I can easily pay £7 for two chicken breasts ($11-$12).

I'd far rather make my own burgers from organic lean beef mince (ground?) than go to McDonalds and eat their 'beef' (i.e. all the bits you wouldn't feed your dog) that has been intensely farmed and cows fed a ton of stuff you don't want in your food chain.

Aldi do whole free range chickens for £4.99 - so you get two breasts, plus all the other delicious bits!

oh yes I do whole chicken about once a month and use all the bits for stock and more meals -amazing how many meals you can get out of a small chicken! But It's time for me too. I work 7 days a week so don't always have time to roast a bird in the evenings - breast meat is just easier for chucking in a dish, or using a slow cooker (do not trust putting a whole bird in a slow cooker no matter how many people say it's fine!)
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! I used to drink 24 cokes a day, and now I drink just 1....i lost 12 lbs so far, but i can see it in my face and stomach isn't so bloated, i can actually start to see a 2 pack...lol
    the fast food is always going to be tough because if you are in a hurry it takes 5 min to get food, which is all poison but it's quick and easy
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    which is all poison

No... just no. :noway:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It's a habit like anything else. It doesn't even occur to me to drive through anymore. It's just not part of my day to day. What has helped is always being prepared. I ALWAYS have snacks in my purse and car. Always. Quest bar. 100 calories almond pack. Turkey Jerky. Whatever I need. So if I'm starving and in the car, I have something to hold me until I get to where ever I need to be. Prepare, prepare, prepare.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I try to recreate healthy versions of fast foods at home that I like and fit it into my calorie goals. For instance I used to be obsessed with Taco Bell but now I just make Taco's at home so I can portion what I am eating and use healthier ingredients. You can still eat fast food if you want but limit the intake with willpower and planning ahead of time.

meat
    lettuce
    tomato
    sour cream
    taco shell
    shredded cheese

i dont get it...whats unhealthy?

Well for starters Taco Bell has a ridiculously high sodium count because all of the ingredients are pre-packaged and come in bags--- look behind the counter when they are refilling there vats.

Um. What is wrong with high sodium? And what does a bag have to do with sodium?

Most of the sodium would be from the meat.

Also, just because you spit out the word "vats" does not make it OHNOES status.

Oh I don't know, high sodium is linked to high blood pressure, stomach cancer, problems with your kidneys to name a few. Two Bean Burrito's at Taco bell is over 2000 grams of Sodium, if she has a problem with fast food eating this excess could be a problem hence why I said making it at home or limiting it could be useful I said vat because it's funny, someone needs to relax, I'm trying to help and your snarkiness is incredibly dull.
    And water is linked to drowning. The pirate population is linked to global warming. Shark attacks are linked to ice cream sales. Correlation does not equal causation.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    When I am counting my calories, I love going to chain restaurants. I pick ahead of time with my friends where we'll go. I get to go online, look at their menu, add and subtract things to "my meal" using their meal creator. So like at McDonald's I might get a fish sandwich and smoothie (610 cal). At Wendy's, half a baja salad (450 calories).

What makes fast food great for dieting is everything is EXACTLY portioned the same no matter which one you go to. It's super easy to fit it into a diet plan.

Now, eating it every day might be tough if you're watching your salt or watching your money.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    When I am counting my calories, I love going to chain restaurants. I pick ahead of time with my friends where we'll go. I get to go online, look at their menu, add and subtract things to "my meal" using their meal creator. So like at McDonald's I might get a fish sandwich and smoothie (610 cal). At Wendy's, half a baja salad (450 calories).

What makes fast food great for dieting is everything is EXACTLY portioned the same no matter which one you go to. It's super easy to fit it into a diet plan.

Now, eating it every day might be tough if you're watching your salt or watching your money.

The calories they list, and what you're eating are way out of whack. Various studies on this have shown that you eat quite a bit more than you think. They say to add about 150 calories to your meal.
    That's true for any food label. Even organic free range whatever from the grocery store. Calorie counts are allowed to be up to 20% higher than listed.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi I find that in order to target any particular thing in my diet that I want to change, what works for me is to analyse my diary over the course of the week in order to see where I need to make the changes. If you find there are particular days or times when you crave particular fast foods and you want change that, plan for how you are going to do it and also plan for some reprieve so that you don't build up a bigger craving later. So for example if you find that you often eat lunch as fast food, and you are not happy with that pattern, make a plan. You could pack your lunch and/or plan an activity at that time such as taking a walk or meet a friend for a coffee right after you eat your packed lunch - or whatever works for you. Or if you find that the craving hits you at 4pm every day (this was my issue) then plan to have a small meal at 3:30 and do something else at 4...go to the gym... you get the picture. What it comes down to is planning, and figuring out what makes sense for you and creating new patterns and habits for yourself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking like fast food is alcohol or drugs. If you don't want it, don't eat it. If you *DO* want it, eat it without feeling guilty. Food is food. Hit your macronutrient and calorie goals. Don't sweat the small stuff!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Various studies on this have shown that you eat quite a bit more than you think. They say to add about 150 calories to your meal.

Thanks for the great tip!
    (P.S. I was trying to show the OP how she can go online and look at the calories ahead of time, and that eating out doesn't HAVE to sabotage an overall diet plan.)
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    Just stop.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I trip out on this fast food thing. I seriously have not had fast food in 10 years, maybe more. It's so gross. It's like soda too. What up with you people? Go to a restaurant, at least.

Each to their own. I hate McD's and BK, but I love Arby's. I have yet to find any other restaurant that has a sauce that can touch Arby's 3 pepper sauce. It is delicious. I only eat there once in a blue moon because restaurants, whether "fast" or "slow" are not in my budget.