How to kick a fast food addiction?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Make better choices at the fast food place? It's what I did... then I figured I could make the same thing at home, but more filling and tastier.

I love pulling the ol' "We're eating a 'Mama's Burgers'" with my kids. :laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Why is everything an addiction these days? :noway:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Hi, I would ask what draws you to it… convenience? Like, I try to always have food with me-- which may seem counterintuitive-- but this means I don't get caught off-guard and make a last-minute decision while hungry that may be not the best decision.

So, I bring apples, Quest bars (have you tried them?? OMG), nuts (measured), and other things in my purse. I focus on replacing the behavior with a better one, rather than quitting altogether.

Keep in mind too that they engineer fast food to be addictive. The sugars, the fats… it all goes straight to your brain. For me, I am cold turkey on it. But again, don't focus on what you CANT have, focus on all the lovely food you can eat instead :-) If you want a burger, much better to make at home. Same with even a milkshake or fries.

Also, before MyFitnessPal, I lost 40+ lbs (not on my profile). So I do have some experience with this...

Hope that's helpful. Good luck!!!!!

Oh great. Now this scene from So I Married an Axe Murderer is running laps in my head:

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.
    Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?
    Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"
    Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?
    Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

Oh noes! There's crack cocaine in them thar chicken legs!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I really wish people wouldn't use the word "addiction" so lightly. I really doubt you are addicted to fast food. Sure you make like it, you may crave it, but you are not addicted to it.

I asked for help/suggestions...not criticism.

I had a response for you, but I've lost all desire to help with this response.

You know that criticism can't possibly be constructive! Just who do you these people think they are, offering criticism under the guise of "support!?!"
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Work at a fast food joint.

PS: It's not just mayonnaise.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yeah, I worked at several fast food places. None of them had only mayo, lots of condiments are usually available.
  • ejtj1234
    ejtj1234 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hae the same problem lol! I found that cooking healthly meals Sunday and preparing them for the week ahead helps ALOT! Don't get me wrong it is still a struggle but it helps. Also when I do go to eat fast food I look up whatever I want to eat on the food database and decide if it is worth it. If there is way too much calories in what I want I look for other things at the same place that have less calories. Good luck:)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Why is everything an addiction these days? :noway:

I think they mean that they have a really hard time giving up that particular food or consuming it in moderation. I can relate. There is NO way I will ever be able to have "just" 1 oz of potato chips. I'm better off avoiding it completely.

Is mine an addiction? No, it is lack of impulse control in front of a potato chip bag. My solution is to not eat any. One day, when I have a handle on this, I may be able to limit myself to 1 oz and be happy. That day is not today.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I hate McD's

Blasphemy.

big-mac-extra-value-meal.jpg
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    Yum that big mac and fries sure looks good, pass on the coke though itll give me kidney stones lol
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I hate McD's

Blasphemy.

Oops...this is what yummy *actually* looks like:

King's+Hawaiian+Arby's++-+can't+chose+just+one+sauce.jpg
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Neat! Let's post pics of fast food after a MFP member expresses a concern about curbing her fast food cravings. That's really really really supportive!

Thud.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok...so I think I've kicked my soda habit as it's been almost a month and I don't crave it...so that's something to be happy about! But I believe I'm seriously addicted to fast food. I did good for about two weeks but one little slip has turned into a downward spiral. I'm trying not to lose focus and keep on going but this is a cycle I'm desperately trying to kick. How do I get past this addiction? Help!!
    Don't deprive yourself. Instead embrace moderation .
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    I hate McD's

Blasphemy.

Oops...this is what yummy *actually* looks like:

King's+Hawaiian+Arby's++-+can't+chose+just+one+sauce.jpg
    Mmm arbys
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    God I would kill for a Big Mac.. KILL I SAY!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Yeah, I worked at several fast food places. None of them had only mayo, lots of condiments are usually available.

The most popular being man juice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I would say that you can eat fast food as long as you maintain your calorie deficit and meat your goals for the day/week. Or you could scale it back to say one meal a week from fast food or something like that…I mean you get a big mac and a small fry from Mcdonalds for about 500 calories, which should really not blow out your calories too much for the day ….

I think you will have better success if you include the foods you like in your diet, but just eat less of them, and maintain a calorie deficit….

Restriction tends to lead to cravings, which leads to binging, which leads to feeling of remorse/guilt/depression….
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Neat! Let's post pics of fast food after a MFP member expresses a concern about curbing her fast food cravings. That's really really really supportive!

Thud.

The OP hasn't been back since page 2. She has most likely abandoned this thread, after she realized what a sh!tstorm she created by mentioning 'addiction' in the same sentence as 'fast-food.'

I'm an ex-drunk. If I broke down and bought a case of beer, every time I saw a picture ( advertisement ) for Budweiser, I'd be dead, now. This site is full of pictures of delicious goodies... Brownies... Pop Tarts, Bake it yourself cookie dough.... cookies rising in the oven... Chocolate cereal, and.... yep.... Fast Food.

My favorite.

dq_caramel_brownie.jpg

Now, is this fast food, or just an ice cream treat?