Coffee!?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Honey also makes a delicious sweetener. One of my favorite alternatives is to mix a squirt of chocolate syrup to make something similar to a mocha.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I make the rest of the day fit around my coffee.

THIS! :bigsmile:
  • fulaless
    fulaless Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For the last many yrs my preference is sweet and light, but I can enjoy all but black. I put measured of milk in it every day and call it breakfast. I add cardamom for flavor and once a week include honey and whole milk instead of 1%. For some reason, the ground cardamom makes it easier to forego the sweet.....and the French press or americano coffee helps too. Oh, and I also keep around evaporated milk as a nice creamy alternative...alternative because I drink organic milk as a default.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee with flavored creamer. I also get either sugar free or fat free so it's lower calories but still talking like 100 calories for my few cups of coffee in the am. Anyone else like their coffee light and sweet but found a way to do that with lower calories?

P.S. I've tried multiple times to a) not drink coffee b) use less creamer. Neither worked, just made me miserable.
    You answered your own question. You tried changing it but it didn't work so just drink it the way you like it and take the stairs. :drinker:
  • skssks2
    skssks2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love "cream" with my coffee and I prefer my coffee sweet as well. This is what I do and I feel I get a bang for my buck. I use a product called So Delicious Coconut Creamer. Three tablespoons goes a long way and I prefer a rather creamy cup of coffee. It has only 30 calories and 3 grams of sugar. No sodium or anything else I believe. Most health food stores carry this. It does not taste like coconut to me..it simply tastes like cream. I am vegan (no animal products) so this product is a winner on that end as well. I sweeten my coffee with stevia. I hope you like it. I find it is the creamiest and most low calorie option.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I started logging my several cups of 45 calorie coffee especially in the evenings, and decided to switch to (decaf) tea with cinnamon. Morning coffee, however, I just bite the bullet and drink the calories as I need to. It's one cup coffe plus one pack vanilla creamer and about 1 oz or less of hot chocolate from the cappuccino machine thingie and one sweet n' low. Nope, not giving this up!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    I drink it black, but if you like yours sweet and blonde, try using coconut milk instead of flavored creamer. It's more organic, naturally sweet, and creamy enough to turn it plenty blonde. It's also only 45 calories for 8 full ounces, so adding just a tablespoon will barely make a splash in your calorie column. If you need more flavor, add a dash of extract, like vanilla or almond. There are lots of flavors to choose from.

I like this idea thanks
    Don't know where this person got their info but 1 cup of coconut milk has about 550 calories not 45. 1tbsp has 35 cals.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Just dont drink coffe at all.. it isnt good for you.

To making your teeth black/stain to making you crash a times to getting the contents in your blood stream.

I drink it 2 times a month. I find it crazy how people need it everyday or cannot live without it... Its very much like ciggerette, bad and addictive.

Cigarettes and coffee are not alike. Do you compare people to Hitler frequently?

People and Hitler are not alike.
    Cigs and coffee are alike.

Don't get me started on the effects of caffeine.

For the record, people and Hitler had a lot in common... 46 chromosomes, two arms, hands, legs and feet... ten toes and ten fingers... both Hitler and people need(ed) nourishment such as food and water to survive... they both breathe(d) air... very much alike.

Find me evidence that people have gotten cancer and died from drinking coffee, and then you have a coffee = cigarettes argument.

Furthermore... there are many lovely reasons to drink coffee beyond the glorious taste.

http://blog.onemedical.com/newsworthy/10-healthy-reasons-to-drink-coffee-2/
    QFT

i love coffee. it only enhances my life :drinker:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I drink it black, but if you like yours sweet and blonde, try using coconut milk instead of flavored creamer. It's more organic, naturally sweet, and creamy enough to turn it plenty blonde. It's also only 45 calories for 8 full ounces, so adding just a tablespoon will barely make a splash in your calorie column. If you need more flavor, add a dash of extract, like vanilla or almond. There are lots of flavors to choose from.

I like this idea thanks
    Don't know where this person got their info but 1 cup of coconut milk has about 550 calories not 45. 1tbsp has 35 cals.

Wow, thanks for quoting this post because I am intrigued by the idea of using straight vanilla extract rather than vanilla creamer? I'll buy a new container for work and try it out soon.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Daily I drink black coffee... Occasionally on the weekend I will splurge with flavored creamer... Slowly use less creamer and you can get used to black coffee. There is no brain function without caffeine!!!!!
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I like this idea thanks

Wow, thanks for quoting this post because I am intrigued by the idea of using straight vanilla extract rather than vanilla creamer? I'll buy a new container for work and try it out soon.

I believe the person who said 1 cup of coconut milk has 45 cals is referring to the boxed kind of coconut "milk beverage" - brands such as so delicious etc. The unsweetened one is about 45 cals - you find this in the grocery store with the soy/rice/almond milks.

Actual coconut milk, which is made by soaking and straining coconut pulp has many more calories. You find this kind frozen, in cans, in powdered form or you can make it from coconuts yourself.

eta: I also love coffee. I have a double espresso every morning to which I add a splash of 2% milk. I used to have a cappuccino or latte in the afternoon, but now I have started adding a Tablespoon of instant espresso powder to my protein shake (1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 Tb flax seed meal, 1 cup almond milk) I find this is very satisfying, it has replaced my afternoon coffee as well as my afternoon snack. It keeps me satisfied and energized until dinner time - this used to be my weakest time for giving in to cravings. If you blend it well it tastes like a good mocha/cappuccino. This also helps me meet my protein target.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    hmmm I like my coffee too, and it's gotta be sweet n creamy as well. I use flavored coffee (folgers french vanilla or hazelnut) Sometimes I add cinnamon to it before brewing it. I use splenda and milk. After reading this thread, I think I will try the coconut milk.
  • Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Measure your coffee add ins, and try to gradually taper down to a calorie level you are happier with.
    I moved to the UK, the lflavored add ins are not very available, so i gradually settled on 1 cup with 1Tablespoon of cream and 1 tsp of sugar. This is less coffee than i would like, but the flavor and calorie balance (41) suit me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

I like this idea thanks

I believe the person who said 1 cup of coconut milk has 45 cals is referring to the boxed kind of coconut "milk beverage" - brands such as so delicious etc. The unsweetened one is about 45 cals - you find this in the grocery store with the soy/rice/almond milks.

Actual coconut milk, which is made by soaking and straining coconut pulp has many more calories. You find this kind frozen, in cans, in powdered form or you can make it from coconuts yourself.

eta: I also love coffee. I have a double espresso every morning to which I add a splash of 2% milk. I used to have a cappuccino or latte in the afternoon, but now I have started adding a Tablespoon of instant espresso powder to my protein shake (1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 Tb flax seed meal, 1 cup almond milk) I find this is very satisfying, it has replaced my afternoon coffee as well as my afternoon snack. It keeps me satisfied and energized until dinner time - this used to be my weakest time for giving in to cravings. If you blend it well it tastes like a good mocha/cappuccino. This also helps me meet my protein target.
    Gotcha.......I forgot that companies would be jumping all over the coconut popularity of late.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start drinking it black. Hardly any calories at all. I think maybe 2 per cup. Right now I use cream and sugar... Or half and half. I'm consuming about 150 calories per day in my coffee. I'm just going to start drinking it black. It's going to suck
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My friend uses coconut milk... Not the kind you get in the milk section of the store, she gets hers from whole foods in a can. It's pretty good
  • Big_Banana
    Options
    If coffee was poison, I'd be dead. I like my coffee like I like my women, creamy and white. :bigsmile:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you NEED to add something to your coffee, you're drinking *kitten* coffee. Try finding a bean that is of higher quality and therefore of better flavour. Coffee is not a naturally bitter drink. It should be smooth.

Black is the only way to drink proper coffee.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If coffee was poison, I'd be dead. I like my coffee like I like my women, creamy and white. :bigsmile:

So you like our women full of fat and pale-skinned?

If coffee was a poison, and you drank it as often as you get women, you'd still be alive.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I used to put 6 packets of sugar AND cream in my coffee. Then I decided enough was enough.

Now I use flavored creamers but do not add ANY extra sugars.

My favorite is International Delight Stone Cold Creamery Vanilla. 1 TBS is 35 cal. I allot 70 calories a day for this and it's my own problem. Sometimes I only drink half the cup but I still leave the calories for the entire drink.

I also normally only have 1 cup a day and I drink it super slow. As a matter of fact I have .25 of a Tervis regular sized mug with coffee from 5:30a.

I'm working on training myself to not drink sweet tea either. It's been harder with Hot English Style tea which I like with milk and sugar.

I say just make it work in your calories and taper slowly.