Am I the only one who feels awkward squating?

Options
123457»

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure no one else in the gym is getting any kind of work done when I work on my squats or Olympic lifts. Is it weird that every piece of equipment near to me is taken by guys who rest while I work? ... Psh, no. I'd watch me, too. :tongue:

But seriously, people are going to watch what they're going to watch. I could no sooner avert the eyes in their heads than I could change the weather.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure no one else in the gym is getting any kind of work done when I work on my squats or Olympic lifts. Is it weird that every piece of equipment near to me is taken by guys who rest while I work? ... Psh, no. I'd watch me, too. :tongue:

hot stuff coming through!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I only feel weird when my brother in law comes over mid workout. He stares like a creeper.
  • tosullivan
    tosullivan Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    They're either staring at your *kitten* or your form is really off
    more likely they are staring at her *kitten*
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    With your body you shouldn't feel self conscience you look good and people are going to look at you...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I've just gone back to the squat rack after 3 mos. off due to ACL replacement. Some probably thought I was noob as I only used the bar and was all over the place with it as I worked to get balance and form in check. Ya, it was awkward but I'm there for me and not too concerned what others think about how I'm doing.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just stick your butt out more to give them something to stare at!!! :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel awkward in the squat rack is when I've worn the wrong pants on squats day. I have one pair that gives me an atomic wedgie when I go ATG, and it stays up there through the entire set. Nothing like reracking the bar and pulling your pants out of your butt.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I got all the awkward out of my system at yoga classes. Never seen so many bums in the air. Cat/cow can be... interesting... if you look up at the wrong moment.

TBH I found the dead lift more embarrassing, but don't care at all anymore.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Squatting is by far the most functional exercise. We are always using it to for example tie your shoe and or picking up your kids. Try it against the wall might be less awkward or do it when you are about to sit on a bench.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Rests for heavy sets can be upwards of 10 minutes long. What the hell else are you supposed to do- play candy crush?

I've never heard of anyone taking 10+ minutes of rest in-between sets. At that point, you may as well eat a meal and take a nap too. Everything I've ever read or been told says that you're resting too long. Perhaps this review could be illuminating (& related source material):

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/factors-affecting-the-length-of-the-rest-interval-between-resistance-exercise-sets-research-review.html

Here's the summary:
    Summing up this review, practically folks may manipulate rest intervals for different goals according to the following guidelines:

-Maximal strength training: 2-5 minutes between sets. Possibly shorter when intensity is above 90% and reps are three or less.

-Testing 1 rep max: the paper recommends short rest of 1-2 minutes. From a real-world perspective, I’m not sure I agree with this as a general rule.

-Muscular power: generally 3-5 minutes although shorter rests of 30-45 seconds can be used with very short sets (multiple sets of doubles and triples).

-Hypertrophy: the paper recommends incomplete rest intervals of 30-90 seconds but I disagree somewhat with this. I feel that both complete and incomplete rest intervals have their place in hypertrophy training.

-Muscular endurance: Short rest intervals of 30-60 seconds performed in circuit fashion.

That's really nice and all- but 5-10 minute rests happen.

it is what it is.

I personally get to bored after 5- and iuf it's busy- no way I'll take over 5 minutes- there is a point in a public gym where you can be rude... but if I'm one rep maxxing- guess what- I'll take as long as I well please.

And as you have seen... what I have said is not unrealistic- and people do it.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home now, but squats didn't bother me in the gym. What did bother me was leg curls. I felt like it looked like I was humping the bench.