PARENTING FAIL, big time . . .

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Man I must have a tiny kid, my 10yo is 65pds.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    By the time my youngest son was 7, his two grandpas and one grandma had passed away. Enjoy your parents; they are not permanent fixtures. Send the snacks you want your child to eat with them when they visit and know that when the grandparents do something you don't like, it comes from them loving their grandchildren and not an attemp to undermine your parental authority.
    I would give anything for my kids to have one more dinner made by grandma.

And from the experience of a mother of 4 and elementary school teacher, allowing 7 year old children to wrestle competitively is absurd.

as a mother of 2, one of which wrestled competitively for his entire school career, it was not absurd. He was a 3-sport athlete. Sports and school activities kept him active and healthy, and social. He understood failure and success, got good grades and was very well rounded. He started when he was 6 and stopped after he graduated high school. He's now finishing up his Master's degree and waiting to hear if he will be admitted to school for his doctorate. he's also happily married. Don't think it hurt him to wrestle competitively at all. Our parental involvement in the activity was the key.
    Yes. Competitive sports do nothing but positive things. Unlike these cupcake "we won't even keep score" sports leagues for kids they have now.

Competitive sports are great.
    But... I'm thinking any sport where a 7-year old has a melt-down over eating at a restaurant the night before isn't your typical kids' sport.
    Disappointment over not practicing hard enough is okay. Fearing natural weight fluctuations? Not so much.

It is worrisome. On the other hand, not setting weight limits could result in this sort of match:

people-sumo-wrestler-and-boy.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    By the time my youngest son was 7, his two grandpas and one grandma had passed away. Enjoy your parents; they are not permanent fixtures. Send the snacks you want your child to eat with them when they visit and know that when the grandparents do something you don't like, it comes from them loving their grandchildren and not an attemp to undermine your parental authority.
    I would give anything for my kids to have one more dinner made by grandma.

And from the experience of a mother of 4 and elementary school teacher, allowing 7 year old children to wrestle competitively is absurd.

as a mother of 2, one of which wrestled competitively for his entire school career, it was not absurd. He was a 3-sport athlete. Sports and school activities kept him active and healthy, and social. He understood failure and success, got good grades and was very well rounded. He started when he was 6 and stopped after he graduated high school. He's now finishing up his Master's degree and waiting to hear if he will be admitted to school for his doctorate. he's also happily married. Don't think it hurt him to wrestle competitively at all. Our parental involvement in the activity was the key.
    Yes. Competitive sports do nothing but positive things. Unlike these cupcake "we won't even keep score" sports leagues for kids they have now.

Competitive sports are great.
    But... I'm thinking any sport where a 7-year old has a melt-down over eating at a restaurant the night before isn't your typical kids' sport.
    Disappointment over not practicing hard enough is okay. Fearing natural weight fluctuations? Not so much.

It is worrisome. On the other hand, not setting weight limits could result in this sort of match:

people-sumo-wrestler-and-boy.jpg

Lol!
    I'm in favor of kids participating in competitive sports that are more physiologically appropriate for rapidly growing children.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    EPIPHANY: Maybe she thinks I'm depriving them and is trying to compensate. I think I'll let her know what treats they've already had during the day, or during the week, or planned for later before I leave them!

You might try a list. My husband wrote a clear list for his parents -- not what they CAN'T eat but what they CAN. The kids can eat fruit, vegetables, meat, nuts, and cheese. They can drink water -- sparking, soda, plain. Treats are FRUIT not candy. We encourage her to buy raspberries, blueberries, etc.

I might even print out the Whole30 Vegetarian Style shopping list for her.

And if she continues to try to buy my kids' love with sugar then I'll ask her to track what they eat when with her to show her how gawd-awful their diet is when they're with her versus when they're with us. I really had no idea how much sugar I was consuming until I started tracking it... and now I realize how much sugar my kids eat.

I think they're "getting it." He went to his grandma's yesterday, late afternoon while I was getting ready to take him to a birthday party . . . my dad called, told me he was hungry, and asked if they should feed him or if there would be food at the party. :)

Wow, it's really sad how you disrespect your parents in front of your children.

This...your mom and dad was good enough to send you off to life, but you don`t trust them with your child....
  • bigburd82
    Options
    Ditto., I agree with the comment about the eating disorder. I think the parenting fail is entering a 7-year-old in a competition that requires weight maintenance in the first place.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Ditto., I agree with the comment about the eating disorder. I think the parenting fail is entering a 7-year-old in a competition that requires weight maintenance in the first place.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    This post made me thankful I don't have a stick up my *kitten*! I am more thankful for everything my Mom does for my children!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

The parenting fail is not taking an active role in how the child participates in the sport. My child was in wrestling for years, and we would no allow him to compete in a weight class that required him to cut any weight.
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    What kills me is when parents think that by being so controlling and hypervigilant that they're actually doing their children any favors. I think that people of certain personality types should have to work in the Peace Corps, or do humanitarian aid in some of our more dangerous inner cities for at least a year before having children. This would give them some badly needed perspective by acquainting them with what REAL dangerous places and REAL malnutrition actually look like, so later on when they're tucked away in their comfortable Stepford Suburbistans, they will behave more rationally.

Frankly, few other adults (and even children, once they reach 9 or 10) can respect someone who pitches some kind of preschooler's tantrum every time they don't get their way 100% on everything, nor can they respect a panicky, hysterical nuisance who perpetually sees catastrophic, life-threatening danger where it simply doesn't exist and won't STFU about it.
  • BonnieCaley
    BonnieCaley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bless, feel for your son, however i don't agree with all the people on here slamming you with eating disorders and bad parenting slams.

I have 3 boys, all do kickboxing, if they choose to take this to a competitive level like your son has, then they have to take the rules and expectations with it, that's how life works. There will be different rules and expectations all through life, so the quicker they learn this the better IMO.

The world is a cut throat place, quit with all the wrapping up in cotton wool people, when I was younger you got a medal for winning, not taking part and I wasn't emotionally scarred by it.

I hope your son keeps up the hard work :)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Ok, I haven't read the whole thread, but it was ridiculous from the beginning, but it took a whole new turn when someone started complaining about grandma doing crafts without asking first. WTF?! What are they allowed to do with them?!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Man, I can't believe people are taking this thread so seriously. Am I the only one who sees a tongue in cheek comment?

People are going overboard, as usual. This is the same board where it's routine to see posters advising folks get a divorce over petty nonsense like "my husband doesn't appreciate my weight loss".

I didn't think the OP was being serious. And even if she was we don't even know the context of her relationship with grandma. People just hear "grandma", assume she's some sweet, benevolent saint, and the OP is the wicked daughter or DIL who is stringing her up. For all we know the OP could have talked to grandma about overfeeding the kids, and she continues to defy her out of spite. We just don't know.

Agreed!:flowerforyou:

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle . . . :smile:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

when I was younger you got a medal for winning, not taking part and I wasn't emotionally scarred by it.

I kinda was, but I was a loser. :blushing:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

when I was younger you got a medal for winning, not taking part and I wasn't emotionally scarred by it.

I kinda was, but I was a loser. :blushing:

But look how cute you were:

hF51F5803
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    In
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. This discussion is welcome to continue in groups.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.