Muscle gain from cardio?

Options

Replies

• Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

How does the law of thermodynamics work for you? Is that solid enough science?

which one?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

Can you achieve progressive overload through cardio at least for a while by increasing the intensity of cardio. Let's say...if during your walks you start climbing stairs...or climbing hills.
    IF there's a lactic acid build up. If not, then the exercise is still aerobic and not anaerobic. Anaerobic exercise is what one does to achieve muscle growth.
    Also...what happens to the progressive overload when one has reached his limit on increasing his lifting weight. Will his muscles acclimate to that weight and just stay there...
    Yes unless there is some "enhancement" going on. Many natural body builders will peak, then start on anabolics to further enhance their muscle growth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Cardio is only going to be catabolic if you don't have sufficient energy to sustain it. Eat carbs and protein before your cardio, and there's no reason whatsoever for it to be a catabolic process.
    If one is in calorie deficit through eating and using cardio to achieve deficit, it's gonna be catabolic. Reduction of energy and body weight is a catabolic process.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why on earth not? Catabolic (in terms of muscles) means your body is breaking down the muscle to digest it. You see long term effects of this in people on extremely low calorie diets (severe anorexia and bulemia), or in extreme cases of muscle atrophy (coma patient).

If you can show me the science as to why cardio should be catabolic, if you are timing your workout to your food intake, even in "a caloric deficit", I'd love to see it, as I have not been able to find it.

There's simply no good reason for your body to digest muscle, if you have adequate dietary intake of protein and available fuel at the time of the workout.

No, it's still a catabolic state. You mitigate muscle catabolism by giving the body preferential energy sources to catabolize but you can't change the metabolic pathways to something else. It's still catabolic.

Right. Digestion is catabolic. Put a salad in your stomach, and your body uses a catabolic process to break it down into food.

Your body also uses an anabolic process to store it as fat.

And it uses an anabolic process to build muscle.

The question I have, is WHY would your body, when presented with adequate fuel in the form of carbs and protein in your system, at the time of the workout and shortly after, catabolize MUSCLE when it has no reason to do so?
    If the body is in calorie deficit, catabolism occurs. One could eat carbs, protein and fat and still be in deficit. Muscle will be the LAST source of energy used while the body isn't in EXTREME calorie deficit. Switch it to an extreme calorie deficit and muscle will certainly be catabolized.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Studies on why it's hard to gain muscle on a calorie deficit

Reduced Testosterone
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20096034

Impaired protein synthesis
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20164371
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17229738
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1767841

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Let's get this straight. You don't build muscle by doing cardio or lifting weights...

Your body builds muscle when you REST! ;)

That should end this argument.
    Essentially this is correct IF supplied with sufficient protein and calories to do it. Exercise breaks muscle down, not build it up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Do you know what 'cardio' is? You do not gain from doing 'cardio'.

You may gain from the stress being put on your legs/back/arms when pushing/pulling, but you will not gain from 'cardio'.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    <<I don't lift. I do cardio, running and cycling. I have gained muscle and mass in my quads and calfs. I run mostly half marathons. I always eat back my exercise calories. On long run days, I usually overeat back my exercise calories. I overconsume protien because I'm old and need protein to heal up the damage. I think my gains are from cycling, because I ride a **** tonne of hills, so its more likely cardio with resistance.

Exactly. Happens all the time. I bet people try to tell you that you were born like that, though.

Nah.. it's just water weight, protecting the muscles. *giggle*

Awww it's cute that you think adding a giggle and mocking people makes you right.

How about that he's not really built much muscle - he can just see it more easily now he's lost 22lbs.

1) how do you know you've built muscle - measurement? Dexa scan or just that you can see them now?

2) you over eat your exercise calories - meaning you're probably not in a deficit, more likely you are in maintenance and doing a slow recomp

3)Hills are not SS cardio and are a form on resistance training. It has already been stated that noobs can gain a very small amount of muscle when starting - esp if they aren't actually in a deficit.

4) you don't really log - how would you know if you are in a deficit.

Basically you can't say you are proof that you can build muscle doing cardio on a deficit as you are doing resistance via hills, not logging so don't know if you are in a deficit and using photos as proof :noway:

Oh should I add in a *giggle* here?
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Absolutely not. You might have a water retention spike but you're not building pounds of muscle doing cardio. Cardio is the opposite of muscle-building.

This.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Who the hell cares? Do the exercise optimized for the desired result. Or argue about it for another 5 pages.

Trust me at least one person will continue to argue versus anything else posted. And it will be for more then 5 pages.
  • positivesky
    positivesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle if all you do is cardio.

It is either a fluctuation or you are under estimating your intake/over estimating your TDEE.

Do you weigh everything you eat/drink with a food scale?

omg that means i have to eat less to lose weight... >< i think i am overestimating my tdee ):
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Yes. Hard. Not impossible.

Some people cannot do it. Some can. They will not show the same gains in muscle they would show were they doing a "bulk and cut" series.

For someone who is looking to build as fast and as much as possible, it's not the optimal way to go.

But it keeps getting stated as a flat rule that "you cannot build muscle mass while in a deficit", and that's disproven. Repeatedly.

"It will be much harder to do" and "it will take you a much longer time" is not the same as "You cannot" and "it won't happen".
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    What it really comes down to, in cases where people are riding the razor's edge from a dietary sense and staying at nearly the same weight but decreasing bf%, is that it's EXTREMELY difficult to know with certainty whether or not someone is in a deficit. Variations in activity level (TDEE details) and potential inaccuracies in intake numbers (calorie consumption details) mean that in just about every case, people are fluctuating between surplus energy levels and deficit energy levels when they're walking this fine line. This makes conducting studies on the matter insanely difficult to manage with clinical accuracy.

To be fair, it's probably more honest to say that it is extremely difficult to gain any muscle mass while attempting to maintain a deficit, for anyone other than 1. complete newbs 2. obese people 3. those using steroids. But rather than use all of those qualifiers to split hairs on the subject, most people make the more reasonable (and brief) statement that if you want to gain muscle, you should be in a surplus.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Some people cannot do it. Some can. They will not show the same gains in muscle they would show were they doing a "bulk and cut" series.

For someone who is looking to build as fast and as much as possible, it's not the optimal way to go.

But it keeps getting stated as a flat rule that "you cannot build muscle mass while in a deficit", and that's disproven. Repeatedly.

"It will be much harder to do" and "it will take you a much longer time" is not the same as "You cannot" and "it won't happen".

Note the bolded part. I still haven't seen any proof on building muscle on a deficit and I've read through this entire thread. Would like to see the proof please.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Let us strike up this conversation a year from now when those who are only doing cardio and eating at a deficit continue increasing their muscle gain and have 20" calves, ripped abs like you see on those muscle builder magazines, a 75" chest and 22" biceps. Arguing is useless in the face of anecdotal evidence when hard, iron clad proof is only a year away.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Note the bolded part. I still haven't seen any proof on building muscle on a deficit and I've read through this entire thread. Would like to see the proof please.
    I'll be getting a follow-up DEXA scan in a few weeks, so we shall see. I am hopeful that the results will show a gain of almost 2 pounds of muscle and the loss of almost 6 pounds of fat. However, I maintain such a small average deficit as to consider the last six months as practically speaking a whole bunch of mini bulk/cut cycles. That's my bet. I also don't do much cardio, but I lift like a mofo, so it won't really speak to the muscle gain from cardio issue. Only the muscle gain on a slight deficit issue.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

If we're speaking in absolutes.................nothing is impossible. Improbable, more than likely. For the sake of complication to members here (since many are trying to transform their physiques in a shorter time vs a longer one) it's pretty safe to say that if someone is in calorie deficit (who isn't obese, a returning athlete or a complete newbie to exercise) the chances of building any "significant" muscle is improbable.
    People saying they gained 2.5lbs of weight after working out for a week or two should know it's not muscle they gained.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    Let us strike up this conversation a year from now when those who are only doing cardio and eating at a deficit continue increasing their muscle gain and have 20" calves, ripped abs like you see on those muscle builder magazines, a 75" chest and 22" biceps. Arguing is useless in the face of anecdotal evidence when hard, iron clad proof is only a year away.

LOL.. yeah, cause you can build a 75" chest in a year. Sure.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    If we're speaking in absolutes.................nothing is impossible. Improbable, more than likely. For the sake of complication to members here (since many are trying to transform their physiques in a shorter time vs a longer one) it's pretty safe to say that if someone is in calorie deficit (who isn't obese, a returning athlete or a complete newbie to exercise) the chances of building any "significant" muscle is improbable.
    People saying they gained 2.5lbs of weight after working out for a week or two should know it's not muscle they gained.

IDEA Fitness member

This I agree with, especially the bolded.

I disagree with a flat statement that you cannot lose fat and build muscle at the same time.