• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    hF883A85D

LOL! Crabs!
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Personally, my biggest anger initiated motivation doesn't begin with the actions of others. It begins with my actions. It doesn't start with proving myself better than other people who may or may not be sabotaging me. It starts with proving myself better than the other me that is definitely out to sabotage me. I'm not all that concerned with how my action with respect to my diet and exercise may or may not others. I expect others to be mature enough to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm much more concerned with how my action offends my nature to be inactive. I'm really the only one that I'm trying to prove anything to about myself, because I'm the one who made myself 408 pounds. That's the guy I give the finger too with my lifestyle.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

What she said!

^^ Yes, this. Very much this.

Either I'm an anomaly or am extremely "lucky" or have over the years surrounded myself with amazing people who are as confident in themselves as they are in me and I am in myself but I haven't had the sabotage experience at all. Everyone around me has been incredibly supportive, from my husband, family, friends and colleagues all the way down to the random person I meet on the street every day on my way to work.

An observation though, some people seem to feel that because they are eating 'healthy' the people around them shouldn't eat 'unhealthy' foods in front of them, and this is what can really get people's nose out of joint. I don't care what anyone else eats or does, I only care what I eat and do. I don't 'preach' to anyone or try to 'convert' them. Everyone has the right to live as they want to live and it's none of my business. You can sit there and eat a pizza in front of me but I'll have my salad. Yes, pizza is yummy but I just don't want any.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My sister is usually the one who mocks... But then again she stands at 5'1 n 278 and is already diabetic.... Me I am doing my own thing and doing it because I want health for myself, I love her to pieces and of course don't take what she says at heart, I simply silently pray that some day she too be inspired to take a healthier route.

As far as friends, I surround myself with like minded peeps, no prob. there. The only one who can sabotage our progress is ourselves.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You know what is truly fascinating about this thread? The friends I have here and the answers they give - it seems we have the common demographic of not choosing to be at war with the world around us. I like that.

Eta: lol @crabs
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I was telling my husband that my boss is trying to lose weight. He asked if I had told her about what I do to keep track of mine. I said no. If she ever asks me for advise, than sure. But I don't talk about myself all that much to others. Everyone knows I head out for a run at noon. I pretty much do my thing and don't give much thought to it. I do like to skip a run at least once a week and go out to lunch with everyone because I enjoy their company. I've never noticed sabotage in the least bit in all the years I've been active and at a good weight. JME
  • boiseemily
    boiseemily Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love this!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

This makes absolutely no sense. Soooo, on your birthday, you get to dictate how everyone else eats? And of course, by refusing food from someone on their birthday, you are nonverbally wishing them a terrible birthday and saying you wish they'd never been born. :noway:

Why do they have to eat what the birthday girl says? Like you said, it's HER birthday, not THEIRS. Is declining a bite of cookie going to ruin her birthday? I seriously doubt it. If everyone had cake and cookies on everyone ELSE's birthday, there would be no fit people anywhere.

Exactly yes. It's MY birthday dammit so you will eat the cookie and you will damn well like it!!!
    :laugh:
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Have you been spying on me? I'm so fckin pissed at my "bestie" because she always is offering me food when she KNOWS I'm on a diet. And on the evenings when I tell her and my other friend (which is actually pretty awesome and supportive) that I'm supposed to go home and exercise, she is like "Pleaaaaaseee don't, go out with us!!" I'm truly starting to hate her, seriously. It's obvious that she wants me to fail at this, because she is not so happy with the way she looks (she is not overweight but wants to tone but she says she is too lazy and not motivated to do anything).

There are many other friends like this too, but I don't really care much for them, but it's kind of like an eye opener when you see how your best friends react negatively towards your work for being better.

I'm pretty surprised to see many that don't have a problem with people like this! Please tell me where you guys live LOL. I guess it depends on the culture of your country or where you live. But in my country, a lot of people are like this.
    Do you think you can include your friends somehow by inviting them to walk or run with you? Train for a 5k run or walk together? Maybe meet at someone's home to do a fitness tape? Maybe they won't feel left out.

Sadly enough, I tried this a couple of times, but she gives up right after 2 minutes into the workout. And I'm too embarrassed to work out when people watch me unless they join me :laugh: So, she is not truly supportive. Last night after class she asked me to go out (I went out with them Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and I told her I couldn't because I wanted to go for a jog, and she's all like "I'm getting tired of your exercising routines, you are addicted to exercising!" I'm like - I WISH! Other things she has said after trying to make me eat sweets or treats and I refuse them is "Wow, are you actually for real trying to lose weight? Do you think you'll make it?" She is pretty negative. It's getting to be really difficult to deal with her.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    For some people, taking a bite of something could send them in a uncontrollable downward spiral. I know that if I took a bite of a cookie, it would no longer be a bite. It was be the consumption of a whole cookie. Plus cake. And then whatever else I binge on for the day.

I understand that. For me, I think I was just offended at the rudeness that was implied in the post. Maybe it's just a southern thing. Maybe it's just a MY family southern thing, but that kind of rudeness was spanked out of me long ago. Refusing a cookie because you want CAKE instead is, to me, rude, especially considering that birthday lady was the one offering.

Refusing to eat a cookie for health reasons is a different story. If the bite of cookie is truly a problem and will lead to a downward spiral, then delicately try to explain that. If that's not possible, then fall back on good old southern politeness and LIE. Say your doctor told you no, or sugar gives you migraines, or you have a medical condition, or something. SOME reason that lets you AND the cookie lady off the hook. She doesn't walk away "pouting" and you aren't stuck eating the cookie. A positive relationship is maintained and everyone wins. After all - this was a work environment. Hurt feelings from co-workers are far more poisonous than the sugar in the cookie (IMO).

And no, I do not think birthday people rule the world and if we all ate their cake we'd all be fat. The OP was talking about refusing ONE bite of cookie because she wanted cake instead - NOT because the cookie would lead to a spiral. So I just don't understand being rude for the sake of self-interest. Blame my southern mom and my daddy's southern belt, but I would have eaten the cookie.

I'm Southern too, and if I don't want to eat something for whatever reason (or no reason at all), it's not rude. Expecting someone else to do something you want them to do just because you say so makes you exactly the kind of person the OP is talking about.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Epic post needs a sticky. Hard.