Action offends the inactive

Options

Replies

• Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Everything about this is100% accurate. Excellent article.
    And of course i deal with this very often and its sad the person has to be my mom.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Over-eating junk food is part of our culture, so when you start improving what you put in your body, you are actually going against the norm and against the majority.....so its strange to them.

It also depends on type of people you know. Everyone I know is always interested to know about any new diet methods etc. I might wanna share with them, they're all on board with eating healthy and are doing excellent.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

This. My world seems to lack the totes jelly haterz that everyone else complains about.

Agreed to this.

I definitely see value in the advice of the OP, and agree with the sentiment...

But, I have never had anyone like that in my life - at least not yet. Most of my circle has been supportive, those who aren't actively supportive have been quiet but never actively working against me.

Agreed. I feel like I'm either lucky in this regard, I'm oblivious to "sabotage attempts" from my friends/coworkers, or other people are actively looking for ways in which they think others are trying to bring them down. If someone asks whether I want to try a dessert they brought in for the office to share, I don't feel like they're attempting to subtly trying to stop me from getting healthier; they would have made the exact same offer regardless and it has nothing to do with my weight loss/fitness goals. Not to say it never happens, but at least in my experience people have been interested and supportive in my routine/goals, I've never felt like people are actively (or subtly) working against me.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I keep reading this trying to decide if the author is serious. I really don't see people in my life offering me food, or expressing concern, or asking me to skip a workout as them being out to get me. Nor do I think that anyone else really cares enough about my eating and fitness plan that it would make them feel bad about themselves or that they do feel bad about themselves and their choices. Maybe I just lucked out in the friends and family department.

This. My world seems to lack the totes jelly haterz that everyone else complains about.

Oh good, so its not just me.

In for this as well.

But LOL @ crabs.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I keep reading this trying to decide if the author is serious. I really don't see people in my life offering me food, or expressing concern, or asking me to skip a workout as them being out to get me. Nor do I think that anyone else really cares enough about my eating and fitness plan that it would make them feel bad about themselves or that they do feel bad about themselves and their choices. Maybe I just lucked out in the friends and family department.

Lol! It's not THAT literal or that obvious. It's a mindset. In some cases, these people actually do exist, and most do it subconsciously. However, most people are pretty happy to just not care what you're doing/not doing, or you're just good enough at ignoring people that it isn't a problem.

Well crap! Maybe I need to look harder for the jelly sabotagists since it's a KNOWN FACT that they are EVERYWHERE tryna subliminize me into staying in bed and eating sticks of butter wrapped in twinkies.

ETA: LOL crabs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think some of you guys need better friends.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options

I couldn't be happier with my friends and family and their fantastic support.

your friends are your choice.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Friends who won't give you crabs.

:laugh: Crabs..... :laugh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

shut up and have a donut! :angry:

:tongue:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

shut up and have a donut! :angry:

:tongue:

Are you saying you have donuts?
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

You are saying your world does not include evil villains trying to kill you and take over the world?!?!

<starts packing extra capes in luggage>
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Lol! It's not THAT literal or that obvious. It's a mindset. In some cases, these people actually do exist, and most do it subconsciously. However, most people are pretty happy to just not care what you're doing/not doing, or you're just good enough at ignoring people that it isn't a problem.

Well crap! Maybe I need to look harder for the jelly sabotagists since it's a KNOWN FACT that they are EVERYWHERE tryna subliminize me into staying in bed and eating sticks of butter wrapped in twinkies.

ETA: LOL crabs.

Ok. That's a little extreme, but be my guest.

Here's an actual fact, though: When I joined a gym during my first marriage, my husband smarted off to me after ONE week of going 3x, "Are you going to go every f*cking day?!" So, I stopped going and wasted that money.

I was 19 then and didn't have the appropriate mindset to deal with that. I'm learned a few things since then, and situations like that will never impede my progress again.

The fact is that SOME people don't like change. It threatens their stability. Almost every dysfunctional relationship is symbiotic. If one of them changes the dynamics of that relationship, the other is confused on how to behave towards the other person. They are resistant to anything that looks like change (or wary of it).

Now, if you live and work with all amazing, selfless, supportive people, good for you! Honestly, you might never have had any deep issues that would cause you to closely associate with people who aren't all of those things. Awesome for you.

But, I suspect comments like your are a latent jab at "personal responsibility" more than having to do with the people you surround yourself with. I agree with personal responsibility. We should all take responsibility for ourselves and our own actions. Interestingly, the day that I decided to believe as the OP does, was the very same day that I took responsibility for myself and didn't let others stand in the way of my weight loss efforts.

I just adore it when people pretend like they've always been perfect, which makes me wonder why they came HERE, in the first place? I mean, most of us come to MFP because we need help, or support, or both. Just sayin'...
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing and then I realized that all my new friends are from this site so, because we're all here on this journey for the same reason, they are doing it too. Actually, most of my in real life friends haven't said a ton about it, either good or bad.
  • nurseybee
    Options
    Lol
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Nope, not just you.
  • nurseybee
    Options
    He ain't lying.

*kick* get off me crab!

Crabs are bad. Our date is off.

I WAS going to take you for a nice crab and lobster dinner, followed by a night out on the town. Guess not. My Friday night just opened up......

Lol
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I could totally understand that if your circle of friends partook in fundamentally unhealthy activities as the core pastime.

Sort of like drinking buddies . . . when you stop drinking, they stop calling.

I haven't had this experience with inactive friends, but I think that might be because I'm not crunching celery in their faces while they eat buffalo wings. Just my assumption.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    huh...
    Maybe I'm one of those lucky folks who don't have "frienemies"

or maybe I just see my friends for the good people that they really are and don't think anyone is out to get me.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    LOL Crabs.